BCS Coming & Going: Retail, Restaurants, Businesses, etc (2024)
220,479 Views | 1040 Replies
EliteElectric
7:39a, 2/19/24
Pop Stroke coming to BCS, in Century Square
JSAD
10:25a, 2/19/24
looks like Gogh Gogh on Texas Ave is closing

BiochemAg97
10:40a, 2/19/24
In reply to JSAD
JSAD said:

looks like Gogh Gogh on Texas Ave is closing

We have a surprising number of small coffee roasting businesses in town. Is this an offshoot/benefit of the coffee research/programs at A&M? Is micro-roasting becoming a national trend like microbrew?

Note: I don't drink coffee or beer, but appreciate the passion some have for nuances of flavors that can be achieved by small batch artisanal brewing/roasting and the creativity that these small operators put into creating a differentiated product in an otherwise mass produced commodity market.
Smokeey
4:29p, 2/19/24
In reply to happyinBCS
happyinBCS said:

don't see how any liquor store can stay in business with Total wine here

Twin liquors has the wholesale license for like half of the bars in town. My fiance worked their wholesale for awhile pretty much their life blood.
waterchick
4:46p, 2/20/24
I saw Bahama Buck's mentioned a few pages back but didn't see a follow-up explanation. The building is for lease? How does that work? Does that mean Bahama Buck's has to close? The little water chicks love that place.
MiMi
3:02p, 2/21/24
In reply to TyHolden
TyHolden said:

Tried King Noodle and Sushi tonight. My kids loved it. Surprised but I really liked it. I had the Spicy Beef Noodle Soup with sliced noodles. Very fresh ingredients and the noodles are home made. Will go back.

Finally tried King Noodle and Sushi. They have an AYCE menu. It's not a traditional buffet. They will bring you 3 items at a time from the AYCE menu (which is most of the regular menu). Portion sizes are ample. It's $19.99 for lunch and $25.99 for dinner (includes sashimi and hibachi steak). It was a great way to sample a lot of the menu items. Everything was excellent.

KidDoc
3:52p, 2/21/24
Did Shogun grill hibachi Saturday and was happy with it. I got a margarita for some reason and it was very generic mixer based which shouldn't have surprised me. My son liked his old fashioned though. The steak on the hibachi was great and we split a spicy crawfish roll that was also excellent.

We had reservations and no issues with service at all.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Burn-It
7:41p, 2/21/24
In reply to Captn_Ag05
I'm really bummed to report that Amico Nave Ristorante is closing this Saturday. It's arguably the best Italian in BCS. Anyone who loves good Italian should go there while it's still open.
AKA 13-0
maroon barchetta
7:54p, 2/21/24
In reply to Burn-It
Reported several days ago on Page 9 of this thread.
Thisguy1
7:56p, 2/21/24
In reply to Burn-It
Fbuckie
10:11p, 2/21/24
KBTX just said a Dollar General is up for approval in Wellborn next to S&W Clinic. City of CS, please just say no. We deserve better.
PS3D
10:29p, 2/21/24
In reply to Fbuckie
Fbuckie said:

KBTX just said a Dollar General is up for approval in Wellborn next to S&W Clinic. City of CS, please just say no. We deserve better.

Lol what? Dollar General is pretty common for more rural areas, and the whole idea behind Wellborn is that they wanted it to stay semi-rural, as increasingly difficult as that's going to be.

As laughable as "We deserve better" is, would you rather have another Walmart Supercenter instead and all that it entails?
Burn-It
10:45p, 2/21/24
In reply to maroon barchetta
Ok, I'm not a lurker, just an occasional checkout. We moved to Brazos Co last year, have found some good & some insanely bad options. Amico Nave is/was a great local place. Supposedly they have plans for a relaunch.
AKA 13-0
maroon barchetta
10:48p, 2/21/24
In reply to PS3D
There is a dollar store on Wellborn near Rock Prairie. Another one is not needed.
PS3D
11:28p, 2/21/24
Over three miles away...I don't think that's too close. Considering that's almost as far apart the HEB stores are from each other and much less dense than Bryan's DG stores that sounds perfectly reasonable.
Captn_Ag05
12:13a, 2/22/24
If DG believes it will work there and are putting their money into the project, there is no reason that the City should deny their permit. Free markets and all. If someone believes they have a better use, they should have purchased the land and built something else there.
Broncos
6:42a, 2/22/24
Add cell phone service to the going list.
maroon barchetta
6:45a, 2/22/24
In reply to Broncos
That's what I read
meinkee
7:20a, 2/22/24
DG is just a convenience store. Would you feel better if they had gaspumps?
Charpie
7:24a, 2/22/24
In reply to Broncos
Broncos said:

Add cell phone service to the going list.

BQwolf05
9:42a, 2/22/24
In reply to PS3D
Hmmm....wounder if they are moving? I stopped by the dry cleaners next to the DG yesterday and they let me know they are losing their lease and having to shut down that location. Said the owners are planning something new there.

EvenPar
10:29a, 2/22/24
In reply to BQwolf05
Yep the cleaners next to it is closing this month for same reason.
MsDoubleD81
12:43p, 2/22/24
In reply to BQwolf05
Is this the one next to Chicken Express?
PS3D
1:01p, 2/22/24
In reply to BQwolf05
BQwolf05 said:

Hmmm....wounder if they are moving? I stopped by the dry cleaners next to the DG yesterday and they let me know they are losing their lease and having to shut down that location. Said the owners are planning something new there.

In that case there'd be even less of a case to whine about it. Wonder if they're going to redevelop the space as another fast food restaurant. That would be fine.
BQwolf05
4:07p, 2/22/24
In reply to MsDoubleD81
Yes
EriktheRed
10:01p, 2/22/24
In reply to Fbuckie
After watching the council meeting tonight, it appears everyone was confused about the Wellborn DG (myself included). First of all, the re-zoning was approved increasing from 10k to 13k sqft. However it is a new DG concept grocery store, not the standard DG. The store will be a DG Market. I am still quite uncertain on the quality of the fresh produce and meat, but I do think it's way better than a standard DG, in exterior appearance and what is sold there.
Fbuckie
10:14p, 2/22/24
In reply to EriktheRed
My main concern is DG's poor operations. I lived in a rural area that had a built Dollar General come in. The lack of personnel, disorganized stocking, and lack of maintenance showed within the first year. Wellborn deserves better. I would think something like ALDIs would be a better fit.
EriktheRed
10:23p, 2/22/24
In reply to Fbuckie
100% agree. I am not thrilled about it either, but I just wanted to pass along what we learned tonight, and at least give some slightly better news that it isn't just another DG like all the others around. My take after tonight is that it is better news, but far from ideal.
woodiewood
8:05a, 2/23/24
In reply to Fbuckie
Fbuckie said:

A city or county should have almost no input into what a private entity wants to place on private land....and zero input into developments outside the actual city limits.
woodiewood
8:08a, 2/23/24
In reply to BQwolf05
BQwolf05 said:

The two strip centers on that pad have a new owner and probably they have increased the SF lease to the going rate rather than a lower lease amount from many years ago? Just a guess.
bcstx06
8:20a, 2/23/24
DG Market
Crawdaddy
8:23a, 2/23/24
In reply to bcstx06
Wonder if they sell beer/wine
Bones2012
9:36a, 2/23/24
They've just about got it all demolished for the new hi rise on well born and 60. Albo is steady trucking the debris out of there. Excited to see the progress on this new project.
MiMi
1:00p, 2/23/24
Sign is up in Towerpoint for a second location of Restore Hyper Wellness. It's in the same strip center as Evie+Oak and Postal Plus.
Captn_Ag05
5:54p, 2/23/24
DryBar going in at Chimney Hill next to the new Asian restaurant.
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 13 of 30
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings