BCS Coming & Going: Retail, Restaurants, Businesses, etc (2024)
220,120 Views | 1040 Replies
JeepWaveEarl
4:02p, 3/1/24
In reply to Crawdaddy
They do. Even regular DG do, now.
maroon barchetta
9:16a, 3/2/24
Went to Walgreens at Fitch and 6 this morning.

Dirt work happening on the south side of their tract.

It's for a new Brenham National Bank branch.

THANK GOODNESS!!

We needed a bank on the south end!
TyHolden
11:01a, 3/2/24
In reply to maroon barchetta
maroon barchetta said:

THANK GOODNESS!!

That's not the Texan gas station?
AggiePhil
11:31a, 3/2/24
I broke the news of the new bank on here months ago. Apparently quite a few folks actually are excited about it.
Captn_Ag05
12:12p, 3/2/24
In reply to TyHolden
TyHolden said:

maroon barchetta said:

THANK GOODNESS!!

The Texan was rumored to be on the Lowes side of 6.
TyHolden
12:26p, 3/2/24
In reply to Captn_Ag05
Captn_Ag05 said:

TyHolden said:

maroon barchetta said:

THANK GOODNESS!!

The Texan was rumored to be on the Lowes side of 6.
duly noted...
Slagathor
5:16p, 3/3/24
There's a sign up for a hobby RC place in the same center as Wokamole on 29th, where the scratch and dent appliance business used to be on the corner.
DukeMu
7:53p, 3/3/24
In reply to TXAGBQ76
TXAGBQ76 said:

Yep, College Station was just that- a train station serving the college. The professors and college workers lived in Bryan.
Bryan was a major banking center, huge cotton center, etc.- as well farming in general.
The McDonald's off George Bush was close to the site of original train station. It was a small covered area and at one time a building. It's been gone 25-30 years now.

Crawdaddy
8:00p, 3/3/24
In reply to DukeMu
Great insight! I love that bottom picture. Do you have it without the highlight by chance?
MiMi
11:57p, 3/3/24
Great photos. The one and only time I rode the train from that station to/from Dallas was in 1993. I really wish we had passenger train service in the area again.
TyHolden
11:30a, 3/4/24
Varsity Grillhouse has their signage up now. That's walking distance from 2 churches. Folks may need to uber to church.
b0ridi
11:42a, 3/4/24
Christopher's is NOT closing.
drthoop
12:14p, 3/4/24
Right around the corner from my house too. I could actually walk but I'm too lazy.
Tom Hooper '82,'84,'86---- College Station, Texas
Marooned_n_Aggieland
2:59a, 3/5/24
In reply to DukeMu
The photo with Kyle shows the railroad control tower, Tower 7, where the Houston and Texas Central crossed the International and Great Northern. It was the 7th registered tower in the state. The year was 1903.

The train stations were at the first photo location roughly Old Main.
Thisguy1
8:06a, 3/5/24
Just heard on the radio the Beckman's are asking the city for a $100k grant to move shipwreck to the Amico Nave location.

After their medians comment being a part of why they had to close I'd tell them to kick rocks.
maroon barchetta
8:08a, 3/5/24
In reply to Thisguy1
I drove by there yesterday. The median allows for a turn to that side street by Amico Nave. I don't know why that would hurt their business.
trouble
8:10a, 3/5/24
In reply to Thisguy1
That's absolutely ridiculous. You want to move? You pay for it.
EliteElectric
8:23a, 3/5/24
Quote:

Corridor Beautification Partnership

The Corridor Beautification Partnership (CBP) is a matching grant program approved by the Bryan City Council. The grant focuses on improvements to retail and commercial properties located along the Texas Avenue corridor, as well as the South College Avenue corridor and a portion of the Villa Maria Road corridor within Midtown in Bryan.

If a property is in need of outer improvements to the landscaping, faade or signage, then the property owner or tenant can apply for these funds.

Matching grants are awarded for up to 50 percent of the total estimated construction cost.
Available to all in the area

***eta***

COB Link- https://www.bryantx.gov/planning-and-development-services/grants/#cbp
tu ag
8:24a, 3/5/24
Can we have a disclaimer on all the median talk?
It is TXDOT putting in all the medians. Not the cities.

They could have spent the money on more roads to ease congestion or start a loop around BCS, but instead they will make us all bitter internet trolls because ofmedians and a loop around Hearne.
trouble
8:29a, 3/5/24
In reply to EliteElectric
That says nothing about changing locations
Tailgate88
8:40a, 3/5/24
In reply to trouble
trouble said:

That says nothing about changing locations
It does say "on improvements to retail and commercial properties" - so they could have just as easily applied for the grant to fix up the existing Amico Nave, theoretically. But it sounds like they decided to move there more successful restaurant to a bigger space across the street and with more parking and seating (which they desperately need).

Seems reasonable to me.
trouble
8:47a, 3/5/24
In reply to Tailgate88
I'm not saying it's a bad idea. I'm saying it's one they should pay for themselves.
Charpie
8:48a, 3/5/24
Medians hurting businesses is an excuse. Sorry.
MyNameIsJeff
9:02a, 3/5/24
I'm missing where they're moving the Shipwreck. I do remember them stating they intended to use the Amico Nave location for their catering business, maybe that's what it's for.

I can't imagine them relocating Shipwreck out of a building that looks like a... wait for it... ship into a cookie cutter building like Amico Nave.
BiochemAg97
9:07a, 3/5/24
In reply to tu ag
tu ag said:

Can we have a disclaimer on all the median talk?
It is TXDOT putting in all the medians. Not the cities.

They could have spent the money on more roads to ease congestion or start a loop around BCS, but instead they will make us all bitter internet trolls because ofmedians and a loop around Hearne.

Not sure they could have spent the money on more roads. Pretty sure the money from the medians is tied to some of the COVID stimulus funding. There were probably some stipulations that limit what it can fund and medians fit the requirements. Also, I'm guessing the amount of money is relatively small compared to what it would cost to design, get approval, and build roadway that would actually reduce congestions.
Captn_Ag05
9:13a, 3/5/24
The beach volleyball courts open at Legends on Saturday.

Quote:

BRYAN, Texas (KBTX) - There will soon be a new place to play sand volleyball here in Bryan.
The grand opening for the new courts at the Legends Event Center is this Saturday. The event is from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. and it's free.

It's Hawaiian-themed and will feature yard games, open play, music by DJ Rob, BBQ, and lots more.
Starting Sunday, you can play on the courts with the purchase of a $5 daily pass.
https://www.kbtx.com/2024/03/05/new-sand-volleyball-courts-set-open-bryan/
Thisguy1
11:33a, 3/5/24
In reply to MyNameIsJeff
I was halfway listening so this could be wrong, but I want to say the cost was due to them having to move or recreate the ship look.
TXAGBQ76
11:35a, 3/5/24
In reply to Thisguy1
I heard that too. Not sure why the taxpayers should pay for it though.
If the other restaurant had to close because of medians, why will this one deal with them ok!
techno-ag
11:43a, 3/5/24
In reply to TXAGBQ76
TXAGBQ76 said:

I heard that too. Not sure why the taxpayers should pay for it though.
If the other restaurant had to close because of medians, why will this one deal with them ok!
Don't they hand out grants for all kinds of curbside improvements? Pretty sure the city has a system in place where buildings facing busy streets can ask for help with aesthetics. It's not like they're the only ones.
maroon barchetta
11:46a, 3/5/24
In reply to techno-ag
Aesthetics was not the complaint in regards to the medians and Amico Nave.

But you knew that.
techno-ag
11:47a, 3/5/24
maroon barchetta said:

Aesthetics was not the complaint in regards to the medians and Amico Nave.

But you knew that.
Sorry. I honestly thought we were discussing a municipal grant.
maroon barchetta
11:59a, 3/5/24
In reply to techno-ag
The question above was valid.

Why should the city gift $100k for a restaurant to move across the street to a location where the owners of said restaurant claimed that business was negatively impacted by a new median.
techno-ag
12:26p, 3/5/24
maroon barchetta said:

The question above was valid.

Why should the city gift $100k for a restaurant to move across the street to a location where the owners of said restaurant claimed that business was negatively impacted by a new median.
I'm just not sure that's a valid premise for a question if there is an existing fund the city uses for other businesses for similar purposes. If so, this is a legitimate grant request by Wade and not something to throw shade at.
Thisguy1
12:51p, 3/5/24
Sure, it's a legitimate ask. It's just makes you look like a giant hypocrite when you say part of the reason you close Business A is location and then you ask move Business B in the location of Business A and ask for $100k to do it.
trouble
12:52p, 3/5/24
In reply to Thisguy1
Thisguy1 said:

Sure, it's a legitimate ask. It's just makes you look like a giant hypocrite when you say part of the reason you close Business A is location and then you ask move Business B in the location of Business A and ask for $100k to do it.

This
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 15 of 30
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off