Local Social Security office

1,842 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by CoachtobeNamed$$$
pacecar02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
This place is a disgrace

3 trips and over 7 hours

Started the process online and the application and gathered all necessary materials as per the website

Will not allow you to schedule an appointment presently

Items were refused during the first appointment

9 booths

2 agents

1) waited 2.5 hours and had the documents refused. They wanted them in a format the entity didn't offer. What am I to do?

2) kiosk was broken and didn't give numbers. Guard behind the counter looks at me and says I don't work for the Social Security office amd glances back at his reading. Registered again and snapped a photo of my number. Left after 2 hours with 20 plus numbers ahead of me

3) 3 hour wait so far. Anyone with an s in front of their number has to wait, we've all been jumped multiple times by people that come in later and have an N in front of their numbers. I guess that's national or naturalization?

I'm beyond pissed
no sig
Wvpd0707
AG
I hear the Brenham office is easier to get into. Friends go over there instead of putting up with the Bryan office. May give it a try.
pacecar02
Got through

3 trips to get a replacement card

Talked with guy afterwards

Staff is reduced by over 50 percent and they can't hire anyone. Like they are not allowed.

Don't know how to fix that
no sig
woodometer
AG
You will find that most government offices that deal with the public will tell you that they are short staffed and will make you wait a long time for service. The current administration hopes that you will call your representative and complain so that they will vote for more of your tax money to be appropriated to each agency to "fix the problem"
pacecar02
woodometer said:

You will find that most government offices that deal with the public will tell you that they are short staffed and will make you wait a long time for service. The current administration hopes that you will call your representative and complain so that they will vote for more of your tax money to be appropriated to each agency to "fix the problem"
This was the clerks suggestion

also said they were thinking about quitting
no sig
jja79
AG
What are you applying for? I recently got my SS benefits started, got a replacement card and Medicare card and it took about 6 minutes online without going to an office.
FlyRod
Have to get a replacement card too and this doesn't make me too optimistic.
MiMi
S
FlyRod said:

I would hope that only getting a replacement card wouldn't require an in person appointment.

My husband is about to apply for SS retirement benefits. Please tell me this won't require an in person appointment?
jja79
AG
I literally completed the application in under 10 minutes. Breeze to do it online.
oldag76
AG
Do everything online. I applied on Jan 5 for my benefits to pay starting in April when I am 70. Online reply said review would take 2-4 wks. After 8 weeks, I called, was on hold for about 10 min and a nice lady took my info and put me back on hold for about 5 min. She had contacted Kansas City office who had my case. I was told that an answer (approval) would be posted to my account by Friday the 15th. It was. Told me my amount of monthly and said I would get a letter with details. I know I have to give them direct deposit info and all should be complete. Glad I never tried to go to Bryan office!
woodiewood
FlyRod said:

I got a replacement in Dec and it was all done online and I received it in about three weeks.
pacecar02
I was getting a replacement card for a child
no sig
FlyRod
Tried to get a replacement card online only to be informed that option wasn't available and I need to go to a local office. So I guess I should plan accordingly and find several hours in a day to devote to this.
UglyScientist
Try Brenham. I have not been in person, but back during early 2021 Covid when I was changing my name after getting married, the Bryan office was as utterly useless as they seem to be today. I called Brenham and they were so nice and helpful and I had my new card pretty quickly.
techno-ag
AG
Always bring a book. I found the Kindle app on your phone is great for this.
ratfacemcdougal
Was doing some work in Brenham in the morning. Set up an afternoon appointment. In and out in a reasonable amount of time. Clerk was very helpful.
wasntme
pacecar02 said:

This place is a disgrace

3 trips and over 7 hours

Started the process online and the application and gatherer all necessary materials as per the website

Will not allow you to schedule an appointment presently

Items were refused during the first appointment

9 booths

2 agents

1) waited 2 hours and had the documents refused. They wanted them in a format the entity didn't offer. What am I to do?

2) kiosk was broken and didn't give numbers. Guard behind the counter looks at me and says I dont work for the Social Security office. Registered again and snapped a photo of my number.

3) 3 hour wait so far. Anyone with an s in front of their number has to wait, we've all been jumped multiple times by people that come in later and have an N in front of their numbers. I guess that's national or naturalization?

I'm beyond pissed
username does NOT checkout
CoachtobeNamed$$$
jja79 said:

What are you applying for? I recently got my SS benefits started, got a replacement card and Medicare card and it took about 6 minutes online without going to an office.
This is the way.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.