Austin
Sponsored by

Soros Hack Garza is No Show to Travis County District Attorney Forum

5,482 Views | 89 Replies | Last: 12 days ago by txags92
DD88
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Austin has an opportunity to vote out Soros backed DA Jose Garza with a credible Democrat challenger, Jeremy Sylestine. Republican candidate Daniel Betts is running unopposed in the Republican primary.

Hopefully, enough sane voters will pick Sylestine over Garza in the Democrat primary.

A quick summary can be found at a KVUE story:
Candidates for Travis County DA participate in forum

The longer forum is interesting to hear both candidates detailing Garza's lenient policies towards criminals and attacks on police officers.

Get out and early vote through March 1st or on election day, March 5th.
https://elections.traviscountytx.gov/current-election-information/current-election/#polling-locations
Martin Cash
AG
Possible, but I'm afraid Austin is beyond hope and will re-elect that buffoon.
DD88
AG
Last day to vote early.

The D->R crossover (9.3%) is actually more than the R->D crossover (7.1%) so far but the D turnout (3.4%) is higher than the R turnout (1.9%) in Travis County.
AG
Pretty dirty stuff going on in this one.

https://www.kvue.com/article/news/politics/saving-austin-pac-targets-travis-county-da-jose-garza/269-0b70f642-a17f-47b2-b2da-f2ce806e9c85

Martin Cash
AG
210 said:

Pretty dirty stuff going on in this one.

https://www.kvue.com/article/news/politics/saving-austin-pac-targets-travis-county-da-jose-garza/269-0b70f642-a17f-47b2-b2da-f2ce806e9c85

Looks like a shady organization, but you can't say anything bad enough about Garza.
BQ78
AG
Didn't hurt him he seems to be winning going away.

Travis County deserves whatever he does.
txags92
AG
BQ78 said:

Didn't hurt him he seems to be winning going away.

Travis County deserves whatever he does.
Austin is about to get the government they voted for good and hard.
Martin Cash
AG
It is mind boggling that there are that many ignorant people in Travis Co.

Ron White was right.
Iraq2xVeteran
AG
I know someone, who was an assault victim in Austin. Back in August 2019, I met Lynn Issak, who used to work for TxDOT. I have been working at TxDOT since January 2019.

On Tuesday, April 25, a person named Antonio Rios was sentenced to ten years' probation for chasing after a woman and masturbating in Austin, Texas. The woman named Lynn Isaak's leg was broken while Rios chased her. The predator is also awaiting trial in another case wherein he masturbated in front of a nine-year-old girl and her mother. Jos Garza, the George Soros-backed district attorney, released Antonio Rios despite the fact that he admitted to aggravated assault causing severe bodily harm.

Reacting to the ten-year probation sentence to the predator, victim Lynn Isaak said that the sentencing is "too soft". Back in 2021, Isaak who is an engineer was jogging in a neighborhood when Antonio Rios chased, Isaak told the media that she tried to outrun the predator for over seven miles until a neighbor managed to scare him off. She added that during the run her leg was shattered requiring her to undergo knee replacement. "He really looked at me like I was his prey," Isaak said.

Moreover, Isaak said that Rios was not even made to wear a GPS monitoring device when he was sentenced. At Rios' sentence, ten women who alleged that Rios exposed himself to them also came to protest. Isaak also told that Rios is also facing charges in three other cases involving similar offences. Isaak's counsel has claimed that DA Garza's focus is more on rehabilitating the criminals adding that he has not witnessed justice being served to the victims.

https://www.opindia.com/2023/04/george-soros-backed-district-attorney-sexual-predator-free-probation-austin-texas/
The Fall Guy
AG
Guess Austin likes more crime. Nobody voted the ******* out
cityagboy
AG
Just curious. How many of y'all currently live in Austin city limits? Or just here to troll?

And I'm not defending any politician with this post either
txags92
AG
We live outside of city limits so can't vote, but my wife works downtown and gets to experience it all.
cityagboy
AG
txags92 said:

We live outside of city limits so can't vote, but my wife works downtown and gets to experience it all.

Isn't it nice to visit a city that is safer than Houston, Dallas or SA? Either way we live here, work here, kid goes to school here. We live just south of Rundberg on Lamar, which if you are familiar you would know isn't the nicest or fanciest part of town. My wife feels comfortable jogging at night and my kid rides his bike out and about

I get that austin probably doesn't match your politics but pretending it's just some violent hellhole is funny to me.
BQ78
AG
Do you think it is as safe and nice as it was 10 years ago?
txags92
AG
cityagboy said:

txags92 said:

Isn't it nice to visit a city that is safer than Houston, Dallas or SA? Either way we live here, work here, kid goes to school here. We live just south of Rundberg on Lamar, which if you are familiar you would know isn't the nicest or fanciest part of town. My wife feels comfortable jogging at night and my kid rides his bike out and about

I get that austin probably doesn't match your politics but pretending it's just some violent hellhole is funny to me.
Wow, you got all of that out of that one post from me? You are a wizard man. Just FYI, I was just down on Lamar a few days ago picking up our bikes at the Trek bike shop there. Cool little area. I was also just in town a few weeks ago having dinner with friends at Moonshine and we got to walk back to their hotel with them stepping around all the bums sleeping on and under benches and being hit up for donations by the homeless folks on pretty much every corner. We left Houston mostly because of my wife's new job, but we were already planning to leave due to the crime skyrocketing. So maybe Austin is statistically behind them, but they are on the same path and the situation is certainly nothing to gloat about compared to what it used to be. I am sure there are lots of crime victims who felt totally safe in their neighborhoods...until they weren't. Houston just ran off one Soros funded DA for another one that is even more liberal, so Austin probably doesn't have to worry about passing Houston on the crime stats any time soon.
cityagboy
AG
BQ78 said:

Austin has been one of the fastest growing cities in the country and I think the fastest growing large city in the country. It has been a hard transformation. I am not here to defend any politicians. The city is still safe though. I just get tired of the propaganda style hate thrown toward austin because people are soft and scared of liberals. It isn't some violent hellhole that some suggest….

Either take your posts to the board for your city or stop trolling. Trash austin on F16 with others caught up in the GOP army
cityagboy
AG
txags92 said:

cityagboy said:

txags92 said:

Wow, you got all of that out of that one post from me? You are a wizard man. Just FYI, I was just down on Lamar a few days ago picking up our bikes at the Trek bike shop there. Cool little area. I was also just in town a few weeks ago having dinner with friends at Moonshine and we got to walk back to their hotel with them stepping around all the bums sleeping on and under benches and being hit up for donations by the homeless folks on pretty much every corner. We left Houston mostly because of my wife's new job, but we were already planning to leave due to the crime skyrocketing. So maybe Austin is statistically behind them, but they are on the same path and the situation is certainly nothing to gloat about compared to what it used to be. I am sure there are lots of crime victims who felt totally safe in their neighborhoods...until they weren't. Houston just ran off one Soros funded DA for another one that is even more liberal, so Austin probably doesn't have to worry about passing Houston on the crime stats any time soon.

Austin isn't perfect and I won't defend a single politician. I probably did overreact to your post but it's frustrating to come here to this board and have a bunch of people who don't live here tell me it's a violent hellscape

The homeless situation is 100% better than 5 years ago but both liberals and conservatives are blind bats trying to actually solve it like it's a serious problem.
txags92
AG
cityagboy said:

BQ78 said:

Austin has been one of the fastest growing cities in the country and I think the fastest growing large city in the country. It has been a hard transformation. I am not here to defend any politicians. The city is still safe though. I just get tired of the propaganda style hate thrown toward austin because people are soft and scared of liberals. It isn't some violent hellhole that some suggest….

Either take your posts to the board for your city or stop trolling. Trash austin on F16 with others caught up in the GOP army
Don't worry, San Fran was once a fast growing city popular with the tech sector too and I am sure they touted how they had less crime than LA in their brochures. Now people and businesses are leaving in droves because they let the criminals and bums take over the city. Austin is nowhere near that now, but they are on that same trajectory if they keep following the same misguided policies when it comes to criminal justice and how to deal with the homeless. You get more of what you encourage, and DA Garza is not doing anything helpful to discourage criminals. He is however working very hard to discourage APD.
cityagboy
AG
txags92 said:

cityagboy said:

BQ78 said:

Don't worry, San Fran was once a fast growing city popular with the tech sector too and I am sure they touted how they had less crime than LA in their brochures. Now people and businesses are leaving in droves because they let the criminals and bums take over the city. Austin is nowhere near that now, but they are on that same trajectory if they keep following the same misguided policies when it comes to criminal justice and how to deal with the homeless. You get more of what you encourage, and DA Garza is not doing anything helpful to discourage criminals. He is however working very hard to discourage APD.

Austin isn't perfect , as I stated, but we also aren't on the same trajectory as SF. We already reversed course on allowing camping on city property. We still have a problem with homeless but the large encampments are off city property unlike SF.

And no I don't think liberals will help the homeless issue further but neither will conservatives.

And APD currently has more money than they ever have. Their failures to hire more cops is on them. They have the money.
BQ78
AG
So my city doesn't have a board but I work in Austin, can I have your permission to post here?
txags92
AG
cityagboy said:

txags92 said:

cityagboy said:

BQ78 said:

Austin isn't perfect , as I stated, but we also aren't on the same trajectory as SF. We already reversed course on allowing camping on city property. We still have a problem with homeless but the large encampments are off city property unlike SF.

And no I don't think liberals will help the homeless issue further but neither will conservatives.

And APD currently has more money than they ever have. Their failures to hire more cops is on them. They have the money.

Yeah because hiring for the PD is entirely about money and has nothing to do with having a DA that is actively pursuing police for charges while ignoring violent crime from repeat offenders. And having a citizen review board including ACAB type activists that has open access to any cop's complete personnel file based on a single anonymous complaint wouldn't dissuade anybody from wanting to join the force would it? PD recruiting is as much about the attitude of the city government and population towards PD as it is about money. It is a hard enough job to do well without a justice system that won't support you, a population that generally doesn't like you, and a DA out to get you any chance he gets even if it is just purely for publicity. It is no surprise at all why APD is having trouble hiring cops to replace the ones that left and has little to with anything APD is or isn't doing.
SteveBott
AG
Actually SF just threw out the most progressive politicians and voted in moderates. They also just voted down a bunch of Lib proposals.

And AI tech has the town booming again. Y'all need to find a new bugaboo
txags92
AG
SteveBott said:

Actually SF just threw out the most progressive politicians and voted in moderates. They also just voted down a bunch of Lib proposals.

So all the businesses, hotels, and retail stores are shutting down because the town is booming? You are losing me on this one. I was aware they course corrected finally on their love for progressives, but the town is far from "booming" yet.
cityagboy
AG
txags92 said:

cityagboy said:

txags92 said:

cityagboy said:

BQ78 said:

Yeah because hiring for the PD is entirely about money and has nothing to do with having a DA that is actively pursuing police for charges while ignoring violent crime from repeat offenders. And having a citizen review board including ACAB type activists that has open access to any cop's complete personnel file based on a single anonymous complaint wouldn't dissuade anybody from wanting to join the force would it? PD recruiting is as much about the attitude of the city government and population towards PD as it is about money. It is a hard enough job to do well without a justice system that won't support you, a population that generally doesn't like you, and a DA out to get you any chance he gets even if it is just purely for publicity. It is no surprise at all why APD is having trouble hiring cops to replace the ones that left and has little to with anything APD is or isn't doing.

Here's the deal. Being a cop in austin is actually fairly easy compared to being a cop in Houston or Dallas with much less gang violence. Some of what you mentioned is a barrier but it's more so an excuse. They have the money and ability to entice employees…

Obviously this is my opinion but I live near a cop, have worked out with many others and many firefighters (including a very good friend)…. I think they could make the hires if they wanted.
cityagboy
AG
BQ78 said:

So my city doesn't have a board but I work in Austin, can I have your permission to post here?

Are you coming for discussion or entertainment of slamming libtards?
cityagboy
AG
txags92 said:

SteveBott said:

So all the businesses, hotels, and retail stores are shutting down because the town is booming? You are losing me on this one. I was aware they course corrected finally on their love for progressives, but the town is far from "booming" yet.

Discuss the details on a different board. Austin isn't SF and isn't on that path. That's all that needs to be said here
txags92
AG
cityagboy said:

txags92 said:

SteveBott said:

Discuss the details on a different board. Austin isn't SF and isn't on that path. That's all that needs to be said here

Who made you the arbiter of what can be discussed here? Why don't you go F yourself on another thread?

I agree with you that making Austin out to be some crime hellscape like urban Chicago is overwrought and an extreme exaggeration of reality. But seeing Austin's voters fall for a lot of the same policies and tropes that eventually bankrupted San Fran and caused their downturn is not an exaggeration. There are certainly places where Austin has made good choices recently like refunding APD and pushing back on homeless camps, but reelecting Garza should not be seen as a positive step along those same lines. He is soft on crime and anti-cop and history elsewhere has shown that to be a bad combination for future crime stats.
BQ78
AG
Why not both?
cityagboy
AG
txags92 said:

cityagboy said:

txags92 said:

SteveBott said:

Who made you the arbiter of what can be discussed here? Why don't you go F yourself on another thread?

I agree with you that making Austin out to be some crime hellscape like urban Chicago is overwrought and an extreme exaggeration of reality. But seeing Austin's voters fall for a lot of the same policies and tropes that eventually bankrupted San Fran and caused their downturn is not an exaggeration. There are certainly places where Austin has made good choices recently like refunding APD and pushing back on homeless camps, but reelecting Garza should not be seen as a positive step along those same lines. He is soft on crime and anti-cop and history elsewhere has shown that to be a bad combination for future crime stats.

I'm glad you see that Austin isn't the wild hellhole that the political party in the state capital pushes.

And I'm not defending Garza or any politician. Austin needs to be better.

Austin isn't close to SF. At all. The comparison is wild if you actually spend time in both cities.

And chill on the go F yourself comment. LOL. Wooosah. I'll keep discussing the city my family and I have enjoyed living in for the last 17 years.
cityagboy
AG
BQ78 said:

Why not both?

&ct=g
But
&ct=g

But seriously just keep it on F16. They all want to rub it the same way.
txags92
AG
cityagboy said:

txags92 said:

cityagboy said:

txags92 said:

SteveBott said:

I'm glad you see that Austin isn't the wild hellhole that the political party in the state capital pushes.

And I'm not defending Garza or any politician. Austin needs to be better.

Austin isn't close to SF. At all. The comparison is wild if you actually spend time in both cities.

And chill on the go F yourself comment. LOL. Wooosah. I'll keep discussing the city my family and I have enjoyed living in for the last 17 years.
Sorry, maybe consider it payback for the earlier response from you. And again, I am not saying Austin IS San Fran. I am saying they are making choices that are what led San Fran to be what it is today. San Fran 20 years go wasn't what it is today either. But they made choices and prioritized things that led them to where they are now.

As Bott pointed out, San Fran's voters made some choices in this most recent set of elections and the prior recalls that show they may be learning and are starting to push back on the people and the ideas that got them where they are today. Overregulation in the housing sector was one of them, coddling crime and homelessness was another. It isn't any one thing, it is a combination that led them there. Austin hasn't made all of those choices yet, but the voters are showing a tendency to lean in to them instead of pushing back.

Time will tell which way things go, but good for you for enjoying where you live. Nobody likes it when people attack the place you call home and I get your responses. I used to feel the same way when people would bag on Houston for any of a number of things. But Houston today isn't what it was 20 years ago either. I lived in Detroit long enough to see that Houston is following in Detroit's footsteps too. The decline in commercial real estate that is coming with the upswing in remote working and the continued crime and homelessness issues in the urban core are fueling a flight out of Houston and Harris County that will cause serious issues for the city finances in the future if they can't find a way to counteract it.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
cityagboy
AG
Thanks for the response. I will dive into this later tonight but in regards to housing regulations I can say that many in austin want deregulation to free up zoning. It's pretty well accepted from the left and right that it's what we need. BUT a large block old Austinites in specific neighborhoods with money band together and get it voted down every few years

And I grew up about 5 miles north of Detroit so cheers!
txags92
AG
Coming from Houston, I can definitely tell you about the downsides of too little zoning. There is definitely a balance to be had between managing development and not pricing a large segment of the public out of the housing market. For those who only care about keeping their prices growing and don't want to worry about having places for students or retail workers or food service workers to live, they have an easy choice. But as lots of places in California found, eventually a large chunk of the population can't afford to live where they work. Which causes all kind of other follow on problems.
PabloSerna
AG
cityagboy said:

Thanks for the response. I will dive into this later tonight but in regards to housing regulations I can say that many in austin want deregulation to free up zoning. It's pretty well accepted from the left and right that it's what we need. BUT a large block old Austinites in specific neighborhoods with money band together and get it voted down every few years

And I grew up about 5 miles north of Detroit so cheers!

What are you talking about??

You don't "free up" zoning. You either Zone or don't zone and get trash. So you want to Zone and carefully plan for growth. The biggest bottleneck that everyone should be watching is Single Family Zoning (SF-1/2/3/4) there are types of homes that can and can't be built in these Zoning districts.

While I no longer live in Austin (moved to Bastrop in 2017), I have been active with the local AIA (American Institute of Architects) that have lent their help with writing policy that encourages different types of SF dwellings in these zones. Think of ADUs and duplexes that are residential scale. If the lot can handle more density, this is a way to lower the cost of home ownership. Eliminating parking is another attempt at freeing up precious land. Again, not everyone can afford to live in Austin, especially the way it was just 5 years ago. Let's see what these Land Development Code changes do for the bottom line. Time will tell.

HTH

Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.