Austin
Sponsored by

Hotel and Food Suggestions

821 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 7 days ago by fig96
LostTexasBoy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Longer post than I expected.

I currently live in Florida and I'm coming into town Mother's Day weekend for a funeral that's in Georgetown. My girlfriend has never been to Austin but has always wanted to check it out. After the service and reception on Saturday we were going to head down to Austin for the afternoon/evening and stay the night in Austin. We fly back at 1:50 PM on Sunday afternoon.

I didn't grow up in Austin and the last time I was there was almost 15 years ago, so I'm sure things have changed a ton. We will have a rental car and don't mind driving, but we are also ok with taking an Uber once we are in Austin.

I would love some suggestions:

1) For a hotel. We don't want a Motel 6 but we also don't want to drop $$$ for one night in a hotel. Basically interested in best hotel locations more than anything. I just don't really know what's a good and convenient/safe area vs what areas to avoid.

2) Restaurant recommendations. We are both big foodies, but aren't wanting super expensive or fine dining. Just really want good food. Also, was maybe thinking about trying to go to Franklin BBQ on Sunday morning. Will we honestly be able to eat there if we fly out at 1:50 PM and will have to return a rental car?

3) Night life recommendations. We both love live music and good cocktails/beer. Don't really have any desire to do 6th Street, if that's even a thing anymore lol.

TLDR:
We're in our late 30s and both have kids of our own and looking for recommendations to enjoy the Austin food and music and art scene kid free for an afternoon/evening and morning before we head back.

Thank you to all for the help.

ETA: X-posted to Food and Outdoor Boards
JOHN2010
AG
Franklins is overrated
AgOutsideAustin
AG
Just grab a brisket at the Salt Lick in the airport. They'll pack it in a cooler for your flight.
jah003
S
JOHN2010 said:

Franklins is overrated
lol… no. If you want to complain about the line that's fine, but it's the best brisket I've ever had.

I'm a little biased because it's right by my house, but Interstellar is fantastic. Also if you get there by 10:30 you should no issues eating by 11:15 or so.
Chipotlemonger
AG
I will be in Austin in June, are you going to be around? Some Interstellar sounds amazing right now. Starting to think about what places I'll try to hit up since I don't make it back there that often.
jah003
S
Chipotlemonger said:

I will be in Austin in June, are you going to be around? Some Interstellar sounds amazing right now. Starting to think about what places I'll try to hit up since I don't make it back there that often.
Depend on when in June. I leave on the 16th or 17th.
AggieOO
jah003 said:

JOHN2010 said:

Franklins is overrated
lol… no. If you want to complain about the line that's fine, but it's the best brisket I've ever had.

I'm a little biased because it's right by my house, but Interstellar is fantastic. Also if you get there by 10:30 you should no issues eating by 11:15 or so.

Agreed. Franklin's is easily the best brisket I've ever had, but I won't wait in that line. And there are so many places, interstellar included, that 90% as good with way less wait. And 90% as good as Franklin's is damn good.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Damn that might be right when I get to town! I will have to double check but I'm pretty sure we get in around the 15th or so.
Johnny Foosball
AG
I always recommend Matt's El Rancho to out of towners. It's an Austin staple and a great place to grab some Tex-Mex. Get the bob armstrong dip and the asadero tacos and you will not be disappointed. Will probably be a decent wait on a Saturday night but grab you a couple of Matt's knockouts from the bar and you'll be good to go
BurnetAggie99
Mum's Smokehouse And Delicatessen is one of the best BBQ places in Austin right now and doesn't have insane lines. LeRoy And Lewis Is another outstanding BBQ place.

Cuantos Tacos, Nixta Taqueria & Vaquero Taquero if you want some outstanding tacos

Patrizi's for great Italian

LeRoy And Lewis BBQ, Buddy's Burger & Dan's for great hamburgers

Live Oak Brewery - world class hefeweizen plus other outstanding German influenced beers.
Chipotlemonger
AG
My favorite restaurant growing up and I always love going back as an adult. Love that place.
AG
NYT just dropped their top 25 restaurants in Austin and I actually agree with most on the list, have probably been to about 15 of the 25.

https://www.nytimes.com/article/best-restaurants-austin.html

My favorites from the list:
  • Canje
  • Ezov
  • Cuantos
  • Joe's Bakery
  • Micklethwait

And now reading this I think I'm just lazy as I live in East Austin and all those spots are in East Austin.

As for the nightlifte piece, I'd recommend having dinner at Canje (you'll need a reservation), and then just walk west down east sixth street. It is more casual than dirty 6th but gets rowdier the closer you get to downtown. White Horse would be a good spot to hear some live music and it's quintessential Austin. https://www.thewhitehorseaustin.com/

If not on that side of town just try somewhere like C-Boy's for live music. https://www.cboys.com/#intro

Cowboy Curtis
AG
Stay at Colton House, walk up/down Congress, Continental Club for music, Uchiba for dinner, Briscuits and Veracruz All Natural at Radio Coffee for breakfast on Sunday.
fig96
AG
Johnny Foosball said:

I always recommend Matt's El Rancho to out of towners. It's an Austin staple and a great place to grab some Tex-Mex. Get the bob armstrong dip and the asadero tacos and you will not be disappointed. Will probably be a decent wait on a Saturday night but grab you a couple of Matt's knockouts from the bar and you'll be good to go
After all the hype Matt's is overrated and average TexMex at best.

The best TexMex currently available in Austin is Mama Betty's, opened by a former Ninfa's manager and is legit Houston style TexMex.
fig96
AG
Cowboy Curtis said:

Stay at Colton House, walk up/down Congress, Continental Club for music, Uchiba for dinner, Briscuits and Veracruz All Natural for breakfast on Sunday.
Haven't been yet but Veracruz opened a sit down restaurant in Mueller that I really want to try.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.