Metroplex
Sponsored by

Pre-emergent application

3,685 Views | 29 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by planoaggie123
BTHOB
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Is it too early? Been kinda warm lately and would rather be early than just a bit too lateā€¦ soil temps seem to be increasing a little faster than is typical for this time of year.
fc2112
Yes it's too early. You'll be wasting $

In DFW area, put it out between 3/5 and 3/15. And NO weed and feed - that's too early for fertiliZer which will just get washed away and unused.

JBLHAG03
AG
March 10th, June 10th, and September 10th.
BSpencer00
AG
I would wait as well. Looks like cold will be returning in 2 weeks.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
BTHOB
AG
Thanks for the feedback!
nortex97
AG
It's greening up a little in my Bermuda here now, with the warm week. Might go a little earlier.
BSpencer00
AG
Yea, I put mine down this weekend with the upcoming forecast. Looks like two cool days on Wed and Thur this week, and then back to this warmth.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Absolute
AG
Home depot by me didn't even have it in stock yet when I looked today
duck79
AG
I'll admit that I'm still learning but when I was at Home Depot on Saturday they had 2 workers stationed talking people out of buying. I was told the soil needed to be at 55 consistently to do anything and we aren't there yet especially with the upcoming front.
BSpencer00
AG
Look at https://www.greencastonline.com/tools/soil-temperature

For my area in the month of Feb, there are already 10+ days above 55F soil temp. Yes there will be a brief dip later this week, but the long range forecast looks to be mild to warm next week as well.

Neil Sperry recommends "2 to 3 weeks before the average date of the last killing freeze for your area". https://neilsperry.com/2018/02/pre-emergent-weedkillers-schedule/

Again for my area that average date is 3/17. So my window is usually those first two weeks of March, but this February has been so mild, that I pushed it up a week this year.

I would also find your local SiteOne store - usually much easier to get products there than HD.
gabehcoud
If I put it down today I'll get 2" of rain tomorrow to wash it all away. If I don't put it down I won't get a drop. I lose this game every spring
PlanoAg98
AG
I would assume DFW falls into the North Texas category. If so, it's still about 2 weeks away for us to start putting down pre-emergent.

https://neilsperry.com/2024/02/gardening-this-weekend-february-29-2024/
Quote:

Apply pre-emergent herbicide Dimension, Halts, or Balan to prevent germination of crabgrass and grassburs. March 1-15 in Central and North Central Texas. March 20-30 for North Texas/Panhandle. (See related story this issue.)

dgb99
AG
Seems a little contradictory but in that same weekly newsletter, Sperry indicates the time is 'now' for the "I-20 corridor":
https://neilsperry.com/2024/02/time-here-for-pre-emergent-north-texas/
PlanoAg98
AG
Quote:

Neil Sperry recommends "2 to 3 weeks before the average date of the last killing freeze for your area".
In Plano, the forecast doesn't show it dipping below 40F for the next 2 weeks. I'm hoping we have seen our last freeze.
AggieFrog
AG
Better to be a few days early than one day late. This weekend is your last window for pre-emergent. I put mine out last Sunday given the warmer than normal February.
CuriousAg
What's the best product if I am going to Home Depot or Lowe's?

My local shop had this: https://www.homedepot.com/p/LESCO-50-lb-Crabgrass-Control-0-0-7-052388/100121942

I see this one is for crab grass. I have a ton of dandelions in my back yard already coming through the winter rye. Did I miss my window?

Also I think I read on here somewhere that you don't want one with fertilizer in it?
AggieFrog
AG
I use Scotts Halts for crabgrass.
BSpencer00
AG
That Lesco product appears to have pendimethalin in it, which is the same as Halts. It works.

You can also look for ones that have prodiamine in them. I think Lesco Stonewall at Lowe's has that.

Calloway's and many local nurseries also stock them. Maybe consider supporting a small business and buy it from one of your local nurseries.
CuriousAg
I can be about buying local. Will try there first.

What about me already having dandelions everywhere? Am I still good with a pre emergent or need post? I am new to this. Usually only fertilize through weed and feed

BSpencer00
AG
You need post emergent for any weeds that you are seeing now. Dandelions are broadleaf weeds. As long as you don't have St Augustine grass, you can find a post emergent that has 2,4D in it and take care of those.
gabehcoud
Calloways and Ace Hardware have u covered. Im right at I20 and put halts down yesterday
Quinn
AG
BSpencer00 said:

You need post emergent for any weeds that you are seeing now. Dandelions are broadleaf weeds. As long as you don't have St Augustine grass, you can find a post emergent that has 2,4D in it and take care of those.

So what do we do if we have st Augustine and Dandelions? I was digging a bunch up today, but is there something that I can put down instead?
BSpencer00
AG
I have Zoysia so I am not well versed on St Augustine. From what I can see you can use Celsius (cons are it's expensive and you have to get it online or at SiteOne).

Image might be ok and available at box stores. There are other labeled for St Augustine that have Atrazine at HD and Lowe's but I have always heard to avoid Atrazine as it can be harmful to trees and shrubs.
Absolute
AG
There were options for st a at home depot. Not sure how well they work.

gabehcoud
Atrazine
wangus12
AG
How long do y'all wait before letting pets back on the yard after putting down Barricade?
planoaggie123
AG
So I missed the window for pre-emergent i think and starting to see weeds in our part of lawn with Bermuda (the rest of our lawn is newly laid Zoysia so have to leave it alone).

Any specific product recommended that I can grab from Home Depot? If spray that would be preferred as I do not have a spreader and prefer to not have one....

edit: see the 2,4d recommendation but just curious if one is better than the other by chance or if there is anything specific ingredient that i might want to avoid...?
Stive
AG
Speaking of fresh laid grass: is it too late to lay some sod or would now still be ok? I've got a few dead areas after last summer that I'm almost certain aren't coming back in any meaningful way and I didn't get around to it this winter when it was cooler.

It would be St A that I'd want to put down.
ac04
planoaggie123 said:

So I missed the window for pre-emergent i think and starting to see weeds in our part of lawn with Bermuda (the rest of our lawn is newly laid Zoysia so have to leave it alone).
the weeds you're seeing now would have been prevented by pre-emergent applied last fall. an application now (and another in may) would be to prevent weeds this summer. you're not too late for that.

i would probably apply pre-emergent today and post-emergent to kill the existing weeds this weekend. i think technically you can do both at the same time, but i prefer to split them up.
planoaggie123
AG
ac04 said:

planoaggie123 said:

the weeds you're seeing now would have been prevented by pre-emergent applied last fall. an application now (and another in may) would be to prevent weeds this summer. you're not too late for that.

i would probably apply pre-emergent today and post-emergent to kill the existing weeds this weekend. i think technically you can do both at the same time, but i prefer to split them up.

Ok thanks. We dropped the ball on that section of the lawn. We thought about re-sodding it too but did not and now we have weeds there....
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.