Metroplex
Sponsored by

Divorce attorney recs

6,352 Views | 35 Replies | Last: 23 days ago by double aught
DJV2012
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Unfortunately looking for highly aggressive divorce attorney who specializes in child custody battles. Hoping this forum would have some recs. Thanks in advance
fc2112
No recommendations, but good luck to you. Sounds like it sucks.
Matsui
AG
Where you located
OldAg92
AG
Jessica Janicek at Koons Fuller in Southlake. She is outstanding.
bizag07
JBLHAG03
AG
I got slaughtered in my divorce:

On child custody, state will follow standard schedule (dad on Thursday and every other weekend) unless there is a safety issue or both parents can agree on a modification. If mother wants standard schedule and they are a fit parent, minimal chance of getting that changed,

Best of luck.
OldAg92
AG
JBLHAG03 said:

I got slaughtered in my divorce:

On child custody, state will follow standard schedule (dad on Thursday and every other weekend) unless there is a safety issue or both parents can agree on a modification. If mother wants standard schedule and they are a fit parent, minimal chance of getting that changed,

Best of luck.

Depending on county and court, this is not always the case anymore. I got "primary" custody of all three of my kids and my ex-wife got thursdays and every other weekend. We had a fair judge that heard the evidence and determined that I was the more stable parent and would be the better option for our kids. It is not impossible for the dad to get a fair resolution
Gigem_94
AG
OldAg92 said:

Fyi Koons Fuller has a reputation for charging extremely excessive and unnecessary legal fees. And honestly, haven't been impressed.
OldAg92
AG
Gigem_94 said:

OldAg92 said:

Fyi Koons Fuller has a reputation for charging extremely excessive and unnecessary legal fees. And honestly, haven't been impressed.

They didn't charge me excessive or unnecessary fees and did a great job on my divorce. And I'm a lawyer as well and was a huge pain in the ass to deal with.
Objective Aggie
AG
Gigem_94 said:

OldAg92 said:

My ex used Koons Fuller. Somehow they managed to have three attorneys on a case with no child custody. Somehow they never talked to each other so everything was repeated over and over which meant more billings. They were thoroughly unethical and I can explain that more offline. But a few examples: they had my earnings in escrow and were denying requests for me to pay my childrens college funds and my property taxes. They forced me to sell a Roth IRA to pay for excessive legal fees because my wife couldn't pay - - mandating that it came from my Roth which is actually the most painful fund to liquidate. It was just stupidity after stupidity. But didn't they help my ex get the maximum? LOL, they were incompetent and had some MASSIVE mis-steps. BUt they racked up an amazing bill. Thats for sure. The perfect combination of expensive and arrogance and incompetence.

I was avoid them at all COSTS, pun intended. It's well known in the industry that they just rack up fees - - and that was my experience.
dfwaggie2007
AG
Good luck, it's a terrible process to go through. Depending on the county you're in, you might want to consider a local attorney. For example, my case was in Denton County and I was advised by a Dallas attorney that those courts were "colloquial" and would be better served with a local firm. If in Denton County, I have used both David Bouschor and Darcy Loveless (so far). Both had strengths and would be happy to share offline if you would like. My case has continued to be extremely contentious so unfortunately I am still up to speed on the current courts. If you need a lending ear or someone to talk to during darker times, I am happy to do so.
DJV2012
AG
Thank you all. It'll be in Dallas county. Does anyone have any experience with Kris Hayes?
Yesterday
AG
Sounds like you need to at least consult with Kons and fuller so your wife does not.
2wealfth Man
AG
Another name to throw into the hat

https://bogfamilylaw.com/
Buford Tannen
AG
I know a few good ones based in Fort Worth - one is an Ag and she is a bulldog. Let me know.
showtime
AG
2wealfth Man said:

Another name to throw into the hat

https://bogfamilylaw.com/

Second this. Erin is fantastic.
Diamond Dogs
S
As stated above, there is a standard visitation schedule put in place by the state. There is also a standard percentage for child support calculations. Family law attorneys don't make money by following standard guidelines, they want conflict and will blow smoke up either clients tail to pad billings. It's a sham but if you don't know any better, and most people don't, then get ready for a hefty bill.
Gigem_94
AG
Objective Aggie said:

Gigem_94 said:

OldAg92 said:

My ex used Koons Fuller. Somehow they managed to have three attorneys on a case with no child custody. Somehow they never talked to each other so everything was repeated over and over which meant more billings. They were thoroughly unethical and I can explain that more offline. But a few examples: they had my earnings in escrow and were denying requests for me to pay my childrens college funds and my property taxes. They forced me to sell a Roth IRA to pay for excessive legal fees because my wife couldn't pay - - mandating that it came from my Roth which is actually the most painful fund to liquidate. It was just stupidity after stupidity. But didn't they help my ex get the maximum? LOL, they were incompetent and had some MASSIVE mis-steps. BUt they racked up an amazing bill. Thats for sure. The perfect combination of expensive and arrogance and incompetence.

I was avoid them at all COSTS, pun intended. It's well known in the industry that they just rack up fees - - and that was my experience.

I've heard many similar stories like this involving this firm. Really is just the tip of the iceberg. They give lawyers a bad name.
DJV2012
AG
Thank you all. I don't want any of this. I'm pretty heartbroken. Still hoping and trying to find a way to move towards reconciliation and healing, and if not that, then I'd hope we can find a way to be amicable and kind. However, none of this is in my control right now hence this thread. Thoughts and prayers that God can create a path to healing would be appreciated.
Yesterday
AG
Good luck sir. I'll be sending prayers for you and your family. Remember that it is human nature to think that when you're down you're never going to get back up....but we do...we always do!
bco2003
AG
Praying for you
Buford Tannen
AG
By starting with God and the church, you're on the right track. You could see an amazing transformation and I am hopeful for that for you.
FightinTAC08
AG
no recommendations for lawyers here.

As a child that endured the Thursday and every other weekend schedule for 12 years with great parents (but bad spouses)...it friggin sucks for the kids. I don't care who the primary parent is - please push hard to get closer to 50/50 schedule that works for both sides.
The Collective
AG
Sorry that you are going through this. Prayers for a miracle in your situation. I have walked some dark roads and can tell you that reconciliation is extremely difficult, but it takes two very courageous people rowing hard as hell toward a better place. If your partner isn't showing signs of that, they might be gifting you a miracle by being decisive. Hope things turn around for you quickly.
powerbelly
AG
Praying for you
ENG
AG
FightinTAC08 said:

no recommendations for lawyers here.

As a child that endured the Thursday and every other weekend schedule for 12 years with great parents (but bad spouses)...it friggin sucks for the kids. I don't care who the primary parent is - please push hard to get closer to 50/50 schedule that works for both sides.

this
Thomas Little
AG
DJV2012 said:

Unfortunately looking for highly aggressive divorce attorney who specializes in child custody battles. Hoping this forum would have some recs. Thanks in advance

Just saw this post. I'm sorry you're going through this. I'm a family lawyer (that's what divorce lawyers call ourselves) with my office in Flower Mound (Denton County). My law partner is also an Aggie, James Logue. I'm probably a little late to reply to this, but if you'd like to set up a consult we wouldn't charge you for it (Texags discount). We can do it in person, over the phone, or by zoom. Whatever works.

I'll shoot you straight and give you honest answers. Divorce is one of the toughest things you'll ever go through. I tell my clients I won't make it any worse than it has to be.

The vast majority of my cases are in Denton County and Collin County, but I usually have 1 or 2 going in Dallas and Tarrant. James usually handles more than me in Dallas and Tarrant.

Just let me know if you'd like to talk to either of us. You can PM me or call my office and talk with my Legal Assistant, Riley (also a recent Aggie grad).

And yes, I do know Kris Hayes. She's a really good lawyer.

Our website is: www.LLfamilylawyers.com

Thomas Little
agAngeldad
Kathryn J. Murphy dallas/plano.
Stop looking and Call her!!!

https://gbfamilylaw.com/attorney/kathryn-j-murphy/
Objective Aggie
AG
https://www.thejulianfirm.com/about-family-law-firm/attorney-jared-julian/ is another name. He was my mediator and seened more pragmatic than most.
Log
AG
A bit late to the party, but I used Goranson Bain as well. Originally had Kyle Basinger (based on a TA recommendation), but he handed me off to a subordinate (Angel), since my case was significantly less complicated than what he usually deals with. Angel is great. I got 50/50. Don't accept standard or expanded standard possession. Stand your ground and do not accept anything less than 50/50. Go in with guns loaded.

You won't go to court unless you've got some extreme circumstances. The court system tries to keep things off their docket, so they try to get everyone to go to mediation. Which is what I did. And Jared Julian was my mediator. He's fair, and definitely lets the other side know when they have no chance, and to take the deal they were given. Plus, he's a gun guy and hunter.

I also had to use JJ again last year when my ex was making a stink about trivial and already clearly defined language in the Final Orders. He acted as mediator on the first part of that, which I got, and then had to step in as arbitrator on another issue, which again went my way. And my ex's most recent attorneys promptly fired her as a client (she used Koons Fuller the first time, and they fired her as well).

Also, don't know how long you were married, but get every single financial record for every account you have from before you were married until current day. If you don't have them, they are attainable. Get them. Then have forensic accounting done on your funds. It cost me $5,000, but it saved me $100,000+ in funds I didn't have to turn over to her.

It's going to be a fight. Don't give an inch. Your ex will try to poison the kids. But they aren't dumb. Mine are 4 & 6, and my 6 yo is already starting to see the crazy.
_lefraud_
AG
Sadly, I accepted standard in 2022 (wanted it just done with it), and absolutely regret it. I (stupidly) underestimated her crazy (and word).

I'm now attempting 50/50 and will be seeking new representation, as my attorney now is incredibly unresponsive.
fc2112
In case you need a laugh.

Objective Aggie
AG
Diamond Dogs said:

As stated above, there is a standard visitation schedule put in place by the state. There is also a standard percentage for child support calculations. Family law attorneys don't make money by following standard guidelines, they want conflict and will blow smoke up either clients tail to pad billings. It's a sham but if you don't know any better, and most people don't, then get ready for a hefty bill.

If you take out children, standard may be 50/50 but it's not that simple.

• It's easy is you only have cash but that is not likely.
  • Can you agree on what your house is worth?
  • Pets
  • Furniture, art, etc is hard to assess as well

12Power
A friend of mine went through this. Just make sure if you have a simple question to ask the assistant or para-legal and the charges reflect that. His wife would call ask ask her attorney questions which jacked up the fees. He fought that they each pay their own legal fees because of her ignorance. Good luck.
wilecoyote
Log said:

Don't accept standard or expanded standard possession. Stand your ground and do not accept anything less than 50/50. Go in with guns loaded.

How? Even my attorney says that the only way to get 50/50 is if she agrees to it. And she feels she deserves more time "because she is the mother"
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.