Metroplex
Sponsored by

question on electricity providers

1,047 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by bert harbinson
Just Tired
How long do you want to ignore this user?
any experience with either frontier utilities, varsity energy or payless power? it's renewal time for me and those look like my two lowest cost options.
J.P. 03
AG
In almost any other category, I'd normally advise against just finding the cheapest possible option because you often get what you pay for, but in the Texas electricity market it literally doesn't matter.

Even if the company you pick goes out of business (this happens every summer), they cannot cut off your power, and your contract will just get picked up by another provider who will either honor your current price or give you a window to switch to someone else with no penalty.

All that to say, as long as you just want to set up autopay and forget about it, there is no risk to you as a consumer to just pick the cheapest rate, no matter how shady the company sounds. So, any of the ones you listed should be fine. Just make sure you read the EFL before signing up to make sure they aren't doing something wonky with your plan (minimum usage credits, tiered pricing, etc).
Hincemm
AG
Check out energy ogre. Pay $10/month and don't deal with the headache
ftworthag02
AG
We dropped energy ogre a couple years ago and went w/ thigbe and have been pleased. My parents and a customer switched to thigbe last year and initially were skeptical since they had been w/ their electric provider for 10-20yrs but are very pleased w/ the pricing and service.
Just Tired
Thanks for the feedback. I use the power to choose rate grinder. Similar to energy ogre but just a once a year $10 charge. I usually get GEXA every other year but they won't ever renew the new customers only plan. Mainly I was just looking for any customer service reasons to avoid any of the 3 mentioned. (Don't think I've ever had reason to contact my energy biller ever.)
BosAG06
AG
Unfortunately it depends on what you want. A 12 month plan that you set and forget? You'll pay 12+ cents. If you want to try to save money the cheaper are the 3 month plans around 8.5-9 cents currently, but they are only 3 month so it's a constant game of renewing and hoping rates stay under 10 cents. Rates will go higher in the summer and other high usage times of the year. And I've found the 3 month contracts require you to call them, then they try to talk you out of it and lock you into a 15 cent 60 month rate and once you argue and stick with the 3 month cheap rate they will then send you to India and try to sell you a whole home water filtration system. It's such a freaking joke.
EastSideAg2002
Where are you getting your energy? its a simple question. Where are you getting your energy in this world? Energy is becoming more and more and more of a factor in in everybody's world. Everybody's world. I'd like to direct you to a new client we have on this station named choose energy. Choose energy is an absolutely fantastic way of getting your energy in this world. Choose energy allows you to choose the company you want. Choose the company you want to deliver your energy. Choose energy gives you fantastic choices in the energy area and its up to you to simply look at the choices and determine which one is best for you. Choose energy will hear a lot more about in the coming days on our station. Choose energy is a way to save you money. choose energy is the way of the future enabling you to choose the energy source you want. The one that works best for you. the one that saves the most energy money. Choose energy
ftworthag02
AG
Bravo!
duck79
AG
I dropped Ogre when they just renewed me for the same plan 2x and didn't respond to my email questions. I signed up with Green Mountain who got me on a plan with Ironhorse for .08. There is still the Atmos charge on top of that however.

This was a 5yr plan but I have never had to pay a cancellation fee when switching so I figured if we find something lower then I'll deal with it then. I did ask them to reshop for me a few months ago and nothing was cheaper yet.
Ol Jock 99
AG
I've been using Orge for 10 years now and remain pleased.
bert harbinson
AG
Had Varsity for almost a year now, no issues. I believe they required autopay. They were the lowest 12 month plan I could find, at a time when none were offering anything super cheap.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.