Metroplex
Sponsored by

Uber to Love Field

1,866 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 11 days ago by double aught
Texas Ag Mom
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Do they drop you off right at departures?
dcbowers
AG
Yes
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Matsui
AG
Yes
double aught
AG
This seems like a good place for me to say how stupid it was for them to not build a DART station at Love Field when they built the orange line. I know it saved money, but out of all the stops that a train could make, the airport is the most useful one.
FTAco07
AG
double aught said:

This seems like a good place for me to say how stupid it was for them to not build a DART station at Love Field when they built the orange line. I know it saved money, but out of all the stops that a train could make, the airport is the most useful one.

Because that would hurt parking revenue and ride share fees that go to the city coffers.
double aught
AG
For sure. They just won't admit that. But it's funny that they were able to get it done at DFW.
YouBet
AG
I just noticed in my last swim through Love that they moved Ride Share pickup. I'm going to guess that is an improvement because Love Field had the worst Ride Share pickup process going simply because of the lack of space greatly diminishing throughput of cars.

I ultimately started taking cabs again specifically out of that airport because I could walk right out and get immediately in a cab as opposed to waiting up to 30 minutes for an Uber/Lyft to make its way through the crowd.
FTAco07
AG
double aught said:

For sure. They just won't admit that. But it's funny that they were able to get it done at DFW.
Yes, but Love Field consolidates directly to the city's budget though the Aviation Department while DFW is jointly owned and has a revenue sharing agreement.

As for the Uber/Lyft/Taxi issue, it just came out today the city granted Alto an exclusive license to be the only rideshare that can pickup curbside with dedicated spaces. Uber and Lyft still stuck in Garage B pickup.
YouBet
AG
FTAco07 said:

double aught said:

Yes, but Love Field consolidates directly to the city's budget though the Aviation Department while DFW is jointly owned and has a revenue sharing agreement.

As for the Uber/Lyft/Taxi issue, it just came out today the city granted Alto an exclusive license to be the only rideshare that can pickup curbside with dedicated spaces. Uber and Lyft still stuck in Garage B pickup.
So, they went with the AUS model it sounds like. Probably quicker than the original process assuming they made space for them in B.
Mozart Paintings
AG
YouBet said:

I just noticed in my last swim through Love that they moved Ride Share pickup. I'm going to guess that is an improvement because Love Field had the worst Ride Share pickup process going simply because of the lack of space greatly diminishing throughput of cars.

I ultimately started taking cabs again specifically out of that airport because I could walk right out and get immediately in a cab as opposed to waiting up to 30 minutes for an Uber/Lyft to make its way through the crowd.

It's a long walk but far far better process. Very well organized.
TxAG#2011
The new rideshare pick up is far enough away that is really negates any convenience factor vs DFW.

Matsui
AG
New rideshare pickup is a long walk but it's much more cleaner than curbside
rynning
AG
The new ride share pickup is a complete failure. It would have been much better to carve out a piece of "A" parking, but that would have cost them even more revenue.

The old way wasn't that bad and was much quicker.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
double aught said:

It wasn't just money - but even if they did want to do it, it would have been a lot of money. Like a cost prohibitive amount.

Logistically it was a nightmare.

Access is pretty much only via Mockingbird on the south side and that road is already not wide enough as it is. So you would have to elevate over the entire thing and the entrance roads from there. Construction and money nightmare. Unless you cut through the airfield by tunneling underneath. No way to come from the north really (over Bachman Lake and then crossing runways).

I actually used to take DART LR to Love a lot when I was traveling for business and the direct shuttle from the nearest station is really not bad and runs frequently.

Comparisons to DFW not at all similar - DFW there was ample land and space to the north on both sides of the airport for the DART and FW trains which only had to parallel the access roads to the edge of those terminals (A and B). Not traffic issues, no runway issues, no parking issues.

And if you want to say that makes DFW so much better sure - until you realize it's about 80 minutes from White Rock station to DFW by train with 2 train changes. Probably 2 hours from Plano. Not as convenient as it seems. I did that a few times too. Saved a lot on parking and no stress but I had to leave home 4 hours before my flight. And would get home about 2.5 hours after landing. The crosstown line will help that some.

Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Texas Ag Mom said:

Do they drop you off right at departures?

There is really only one place to drop off anyway. Everyone drops off there. Ride share, cabs, personal cars. Everything but buses that go to the lower level. It's one terminal, one bag check place, one security area.

Kellso
rynning said:

The new ride share pickup is a complete failure. It would have been much better to carve out a piece of "A" parking, but that would have cost them even more revenue.

The old way wasn't that bad and was much quicker.
The old way wasn't sustainable with all those cars parked in front of the airport. I knew they were going to eventually move the rideshare. I just didn't think it would be 2 miles from the baggage claim.

The city is going to release their master plan for the Love Field renovation sometime in the next year.
In a perfect world they would build another parking garage adjacent to the newest one they just built, and then let the top 2 floors of Garage A be for ride share.
In my plan it would similar to how they do Uber/Lyft in Vegas, or the old New Orleans airport.

I'm also thinking that in the master plan the city will build an underground people mover to transport people from the DART/Love Field station to the terminal.

Ag CPA
AG
As you mentioned, the Cotton Belt line should make getting to DFW much more practical if you are around or north of LBJ.

As it is, unless you are traveling to downtown for work, the AAC for a game or the State Fair in the fall DART rail is kind of useless.
double aught
AG
One thing I've done multiple times is drive to the Belt Line station in Irving and take the train one stop to DFW. I suppose it's a bit of a gamble leaving my car in the DART parking lot for days straight, but so far so good.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.