Metroplex
Sponsored by

May Election Time in Dallas

1,773 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 2 days ago by YouBet
Ol Jock 99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
It is voting time yet again in our fair city! Short ballot….big decisions. I'm going to go a bit out of order. And, as always, this is strictly for your entertainment.
----
DCAD Place 1: This contested election is for a board position that oversees the process of your property tax appraisals! While I think the angst towards County Appraisal Districts is a bit overwrought (they don't set the tax rates…see more on that below), it is still an important role. So, naturally, we have NO INFORMATION about the two candidates.

Ekambar Kumar Singirikonda (goes by Kumar) appears to be an IT engineer for Toyota and pretty civically involved. P. Wylie Burge, no idea. There is a podiatrist in South Dallas with a similar name.

So, I'll go with Kumar.
----
Dallas College Board: We elect the board of governors for our local community college system. This race pits incumbent Catalina Garcia against long-time DISD board member Edwin Flores. Folks, look. This is a 6 year term. Dr Garcia, good or bad, is 86 years of age. Math is important. I don't know a ton about Flores and honestly don't really need to.

Going with Flores.
----
And now the main event…The City of Dallas Bond package. We, the humble voters, are being asked to approve the taking out up to $1.25B in debt across 10 different buckets. That is a TON of money. And it is organized in a manner that makes understanding it challenging. I have no doubt there is a lot of fluff.

Prop A: Streets & Infrastructure ($520mm). By far the biggest, by far the simplest. YES

Prop B: Parks ($345mm). The mayor has a goal that there will be a park, big or small, within a 10 minute walk of every citizen in Dallas. I have some issues with how the city is taking care of our current parks (did you know that our parks employees work in buildings that would have been long condemned if they were privately owned? Yeah.), but this is overall a good investment. YES

Prop C: Flood mitigation ($52mm). This is one of two that has a little pushback from a single councilmember. The claim is there are other sources of funds to do this work. My two thoughts on that….1) ok, why aren't we already tapping those funds, and 2) based on my experience on a board that had a related project, and anecdotal observations driving around during heavy rains, this needs to be "both funding streams" priority. YES

Prop D: Libraries ($43.5mm). 2 new libraries and multiple upgrades to existing ones. Libraries are still important, especially in poorer communities. YES

Prop E: Arts ($75mm). This one is aimed at significant repairs and maintenance at City owned facilities, like the Dallas Museum of Art. While I feel these should have been covered by normal operations, and would very much like some private money investment, we need to keep what we have in good shape. SOFT YES.

Prop F: Public Safety ($90mm). New policy academy, new fire station, general repair and maintenance. YES

Prop G: Econ Development ($73mm). This one is the biggest blackhole of the bunch. Some of the money is for attracting development, some is for housing, some is "council discretionary" for 3 council members (not District 10 naturally). It contains more "housing" funds than the "housing" proposal (next on the list). I do not care for the lack of clarity at all. SOFT NO

Prop H: Housing ($26mm). This one is also opposed by the aforementioned councilmember. Do we need more lower-income housing in the City? Yes. Do we have a ton of other sources of funding for housing? Also yes. And are we doing our best in utilizing those funds? In my experience, mixed bag. SOFT NO.

Prop I: Homeless solutions ($19mm). This one focuses on very local solutions (unlike previous bonds). YES

Prop J: IT upgrade ($5mm). My only question is "is this even close to enough"? YES
Ol Jock 99
AG
TLRD:
DCAD Place 1: Kumar
Dallas College: Flores
Prop A: Yes
Prop B: Yes
Prop C: Yes
Prop D: Yes
Prop E: Soft Yes
Prop F: Yes
Prop G: Soft No
Prop H: Soft No
Prop I: Yes
Prop J: Yes
oldag941
AG
Pretty good discussion. Sorry if paywall. One takeaway: In 11 years, the tax revenue of the city has increased 120%. The size of the police force has decreased by 20% as a % of the overall budget. I get it, maybe there are more efficiencies realized with technology, but considering slower response times and less scope of coverage (like no live reporting of some crimes vs. log them in via app), this seems divergent in a questionable way.

https://www.dallasnews.com/opinion/commentary/2024/04/20/tom-leppert-vote-for-bond-but-insist-on-better-city-leadership/
Ol Jock 99
AG
Police, or lack thereof, is a nation wide problem. And it is a problem. Our (no longer) new chief seems to be doing good work shoring things up. Apparently the pension situation (which I thought, erroneously apparently, had been resolved) is still an issue.
oldag941
AG
Of course. I get the broader challenge. Much like teachers and education. Pressure on those going into that industry from a myriad of sources and perspectives. But….the amplitude of divergence between over a doubling of our tax revenue, combined with this reduction in % of budget just puts salt in the wound.

Of course, it impacts the crime victims ultimately most. But it has a strategic impact on a community's culture and environment. As a community "Maslow's hierarchy of needs", safety and security are arguably at the top. The data doesn't lie but aside from results and data, the community's perception and feelings are of equal importance. That's where police visibility can accomplish both. But with fewer police, it harms both. Now continue to ask for higher taxes and for us to finance greater debt.

It's a tough topic with few viable solutions and greater risk over time.

And u know, the debt will build a new academy to hopefully help in the challenges. I'm in support of that.
MarkItZero
AG

Thanks Ol Jock for sharing your take.

It's encouraging that you're exercising your civic duty and voting in an election that I'm sure the vast majority will ignore.

If the public realized how much these "small" elections impacted their actual day-to-day living versus the "big" elections, maybe there would be more turnout.

I always told my kids when they were growing up that they should vote in every election, no matter how small, if for no other reason - to honor those who defend our right to cast a ballot.

drewser95
AG
I feel like this is not going to pay off -- I hope I'm wrong:

The Dallas City Council on Wednesday approved a deal to pay the WNBA's Dallas Wings $19 million in incentives to relocate from Arlington to downtown Dallas

(apologies if off-topic)
Ol Jock 99
AG
Only slightly, so let's have it!

I agree that it seems unlikely, but the WNBA appears to be surging (by WNBA standards) with the crop of young stars moving in. Will that hold? Who knows.

It will be nice to get use in that arena though.
Ol Jock 99
AG
Last day to early vote!
Ol Jock 99
AG
And we elected the 86 year old!

The contested DCAD race…yeah. I didn't dig into filing docs, but i literally have no idea who P Wylie Burge is. Yet he boatraced Kumar, a civically active IT exec at Toyota. Hmmmmm.
YouBet
AG
Considering how utterly incompetent Dallas IT has been they either need to fire everyone or spend more than $5M. $5M is nothing in that space.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.