1310 The Ticket - Hardline Question
2,069,663 Views | 19165 Replies
Mr. White
2:30p, 4/25/24
Lots of skipping this morning.

Please bring Dick Hicks back more often.
C1NRB
7:48p, 4/25/24
Ohhh. It's Red Balloon League , not Red Balloon Leak.
What does a children's hospital had to due with balloons that don't hold air?
Legal Custodian
7:54p, 4/25/24
I liked these past few years profiles with the jokes filtered in. Don't care about the serious draft profiles
FTAco07
6:59a, 4/26/24
Perfect Musers this morning with Doocy in for Jr
Nagler
7:45a, 4/26/24
In reply to FTAco07
FTAco07 said:

Agreed. They're wound up this morning. Got me giggling.
zag213004
7:59a, 4/26/24
In reply to FTAco07
FTAco07 said:

This
Ervin Burrell
10:12a, 4/26/24
Did they mention why Junior was out the last two days?
Decay
10:20a, 4/26/24
Eagerly awaiting a certain poster to fill us in on his suspicions
VP at Pierce and Pierce
10:24a, 4/26/24
In reply to Ervin Burrell
Ervin Burrell said:

He is probably out with is "buddies" taking it up the a... hill on a cycling trip.
Ervin Burrell
10:25a, 4/26/24
In reply to Decay
Decay said:

Eagerly awaiting a certain poster to fill us in on his suspicions
Yeah, hopefully Danny Vermin's sources at the local bathhouses have the inside scoop.
MW03
10:46a, 4/26/24
Top 3 ordinary moments that bum me out:

(3) When the the last replay of A Christmas Story ends on TNT, signaling the official end of Christmas and the longest possible time until more Christmas.

(2) When I bite into a delicious plate of cheese enchiladas and encounter the crunch that foretells the impending flavor of hidden raw, diced onions.

(1) When I get called into a meeting that ends at 10:30AM on a Friday, giving me only enough time to rewind the app and hear the last couple seconds of Gordo's Corner and the announcement that David Moore is up next.
Hincemm
10:58a, 4/26/24
In reply to Ervin Burrell
Ervin Burrell said:

At fiesta texas in San Antonio
DannyDuberstein
11:02a, 4/26/24
Mouth sores
J.P. 03
12:20p, 4/26/24
I assume a lot of people on this thread also follow the one for The Freak, but in case you don't, this got posted earlier:

https://athlonsports.com/nba/dallas-mavericks/dallas-basketball/news/dallas-mavericks-big-changes-format-flagship-radio-station-971-freak-mike-rhyner-fired

Quote:

Hours before the Mavs host the Clippers in Game 3 of their first-round series at American Airlines Center, local iHeart Radio employees - those involved on KEGL 97.1 The Freak - attended an emergency meeting Friday morning at which they discussed the station's continually lagging ratings and imminent change-of-direction.

One source at the meeting indicated "The staff is going to be let go."

Said another source involved in the station, "We all see the writing on the wall. It could all come down today."
Does this mean we can get Sirois back?
The Shank Ag
12:23p, 4/26/24
In reply to J.P. 03
J.P. 03 said:

I assume a lot of people on this thread also follow the one for The Freak, but in case you don't, this got posted earlier:

https://athlonsports.com/nba/dallas-mavericks/dallas-basketball/news/dallas-mavericks-big-changes-format-flagship-radio-station-971-freak-mike-rhyner-fired

Quote:

Hours before the Mavs host the Clippers in Game 3 of their first-round series at American Airlines Center, local iHeart Radio employees - those involved on KEGL 97.1 The Freak - attended an emergency meeting Friday morning at which they discussed the station's continually lagging ratings and imminent change-of-direction.

Said another source involved in the station, "We all see the writing on the wall. It could all come down today."

Honestly, that morning show of Sirois, Danny, and Kevin Turner was better than just about anything outside of the Musers. Would go back to a full time P1 if they shaved an hour off the hardline and replaced the sweet spot with that lineup.
Legal Custodian
12:44p, 4/26/24
In reply to J.P. 03
J.P. 03 said:

Quote:

I wish Sirois would come back as he is my leader but think he burned too many bridges. The only one I can maybe see coming back would be Julie if she wanted to.

There's no way that Cumulus will pay to get them back. Their wage bill to have Donny, Matt, Sean, and Mino from 10-3 has got to be a ton cheaper than having Norm, Donny, Dan, and Jake. There's no way Cumulus is giving that up.
Stymied
12:51p, 4/26/24
Off the wall possibility.... what if some of them moved to create a separate show under the Dumb Zone umbrella? Rhyner was in their latest video on Twitter. Adding another show helps spread a lot of the fixed costs of producing and distributing the Dumb Zone and it could also create some extra umph for their new ad generating ideas.

It's kinda where a lot of media is going. I wouldn't be surprised to see it happen. Both groups are pretty anti-Cumulus right now so that might create some added resolve too.
double aught
1:04p, 4/26/24
In reply to J.P. 03
J.P. 03 said:

Quote:

As long as Danny doesn't come with him.
walton91
1:04p, 4/26/24
In reply to Stymied
Not that off the wall. I could see that happening

"emergency meeting Friday morning", never a good thing
Legal Custodian
1:12p, 4/26/24
In reply to Stymied
Stymied said:

Off the wall possibility.... what if some of them moved to create a separate show under the Dumb Zone umbrella? Rhyner was in their latest video on Twitter. Adding another show helps spread a lot of the fixed costs of producing and distributing the Dumb Zone and it could also create some extra umph for their new ad generating ideas.

It's kinda where a lot of media is going. I wouldn't be surprised to see it happen. Both groups are pretty anti-Cumulus right now so that might create some added resolve too.
I could absolutely see that happening. Probably not all of them but probably the Ben and Skin show and maybe recreating the original afternoon show with Rhyner, Sirois, and Danny.
powerbelly
1:15p, 4/26/24
In reply to Legal Custodian
Legal Custodian said:

Stymied said:

I could absolutely see that happening. Probably not all of them but probably the Ben and Skin show and maybe recreating the original afternoon show with Rhyner, Sirois, and Danny.

The demand for ben and skin seems to be zero. They keep moving around and keep getting low ratings
Legal Custodian
1:18p, 4/26/24
Short video of Rhyner removing the Freak sign in his front yard:

https://www.facebook.com/share/v/U9xiqXwsYkYKprsb/?mibextid=K35XfP
Legal Custodian
1:19p, 4/26/24
In reply to powerbelly
powerbelly said:

Legal Custodian said:

Stymied said:

The demand for ben and skin seems to be zero. They keep moving around and keep getting low ratings
Fair enough, I have never listened to one of their shows. I just figured they were popular cause of their name
t - cam
1:23p, 4/26/24
In reply to powerbelly
powerbelly said:

Legal Custodian said:

Stymied said:

They actually had very good rating on the eagle before the format change.
CavitationAG
1:23p, 4/26/24
I used to listen to Ben & Skin on ESPN (I think?) back in the early teens prior to discovering the Ticket. One of them is a huge horn tshirt fan and it wore on me with the tu comments/talk. Had to cut them off.
walton91
1:51p, 4/26/24
https://athlonsports.com/nba/dallas-mavericks/dallas-basketball/news/dallas-mavericks-mike-rhyner-freak-fired-no-regrets-explains-radio-flagship-station
Quote:

"The main thing is that management was never fully committed to it," Rhyner said. "iHeart is a music radio company, and they got talked into doing something that went against their nature."

https://www.dallasobserver.com/news/971-the-freak-to-return-to-rock-radio-format-fires-mike-rhyner-19223461
Quote:

The Freak crew were told that the station will revert back to its rock music programming as 97.1 The Eagle beginning on Monday, April 29.

"I could be standing at the New Mexico border and still see this coming," Rhyner told the Observer over the phone on Friday. "It's a feeling that I and plenty of others at the station had been getting for some time now.
Decay
2:01p, 4/26/24
I don't doubt management was skeptical but I struggle to see how they didn't give them the resources to succeed. They had basically everyone who has ever worked in sports radio in DFW on staff.
DannyDuberstein
2:09p, 4/26/24
Would love to see Sirois take over middays on the ticket. I think he and Monty 12-3 would be great. But as mentioned, I think he unwisely burned that bridge and do not see it happening.
DannyDuberstein
2:10p, 4/26/24
In reply to Decay
Decay said:

I don't doubt management was skeptical but I struggle to see how they didn't give them the resources to succeed. They had basically everyone who has ever worked in sports radio in DFW on staff.

Yep, if anything, they were probably overspending to get the names they could in there
The Shank Ag
2:19p, 4/26/24
In reply to Decay
Decay said:

Was more the workspace/funding for events/ability to really say what they want despite the mantra

Giveaways transitioned from mainly Mavs tickets to metal concerts and the talent definitely poked fun at it. They went from having in show mixes, long clip filled outros, and short bit gameshows to formulaic 21 minute segments about sports, a current event, a news story, or interviews.

Last week while Kevin was in Italy, Danny and Sirois basically did an "ask me anything" and said there's been a ton of frustration with corporate and what they can/cannot do.

The Schtick is what made the station fun to begin with. Even though I know hosts of other shows, the personalities weren't there to make the corporate formula work outside of the morning show, which again was pretty damn good. Danny began to show he was more than the "big bag of nothing" many claimed he was. Sirois was full on Sirois at all times. And KT was the one that kept the show from going off the rails. Those three made a great team.

Ben and Skins best format, and if they ever read this I'm sorry guys, was their original format at The Fan before the station cut out the bits. They hated it, but 80% sports talk 20% bits worked a lot better for them than what they did on The Freak.

Rhyner was definitely a shell of his former self, and despite Julie and Jeff Cavanaugh having a goodish chemistry, Rhyner gave basically nothing outside of "make fun of the old man" and stories from the past.
The Shank Ag
2:23p, 4/26/24
And one last thing…

Did Sirois burn that bridge, or did cumulus screw him and others over enough that they finally had enough and voiced it. Same thing with Danny. Same thing, to a point, with Julie and Grubes (though more money for those two and not getting lead spots).
Decay
2:24p, 4/26/24
Maybe you're right. But just seems odd they went out there with a radio station that seemed to give Rhynes everything he wanted, and bragged about it during launch over and over, and now we're hearing how limited and constrained it all was.
DannyDuberstein
2:27p, 4/26/24
In reply to The Shank Ag
It's a combination. Cumulus definitely took advantage of paying off-air wages to on-air talent just because they were "producers". But they could have always left since it's not indentured servitude. That's just the deal with that role and it was consistent across shows- pay is **** but you will get exposure. But leaving and publicly torching them probably ends it though
powerbelly
2:28p, 4/26/24
In reply to The Shank Ag
The problem was, the original shtick wasn't getting ratings. You don't get to be unique and finish in last and keep getting to do what you want.
DannyDuberstein
2:52p, 4/26/24
I'm just relieved that Tisha got herself some clearsight lenses since she doesn't qualify to take the racehorse diuretic Lasix.
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 544 of 548
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings