*** Official Houston Beer Thread ***
77,473 Views | 1699 Replies
spadilly
9:00p, 9/16/11
I will say the Specs at Jones has a better wine selection than the Wirt location does.
One thing I miss about not living in JV anymore.
wessimo
9:29p, 9/16/11
Update on the Central Market sale -

They had the founder and head brewmaster of Blue Moon handing out samples of the regular and harvest lagers. Also reps/tastings from Boulevard brewing and Stone.

The 25% off sale itself was kind of meh. Six packs were priced starting at $9 (even for something like Saint A. or Shiner), so not a huge bargain. Prices on the big single bottles seemed more reasonable so I picked up a couple bottles of Ommegang, 4 pack of Brooklyn Lager, a couple bottles of Weihenstephaner, and a liter can of Paulaner Oktoberfest that came with a nice 1L glass mug (Maßkrug).

[This message has been edited by wessimo (edited 9/16/2011 8:30p).]
62strat
12:37p, 9/17/11
redag, where you at rockwells last night?

Was there, they had brother thelenous on tap, $2.50 during happy hour
Had 3 of em throughout the night, then a ranger ipa with a burger right before they closed.
Only $20
looking at specsonline, a 750ml (~24oz.) of that beer is $8. not too often you can get beer at a bar for cheaper, less than half as cheap, as the grocer shelf.

any way, i'm totally loving belgian darks/dubbels/tripels lately. I went through a tripel kick about 2 years ago.. but it faded quick.. now that i've had a couple dubbels, i've really been enjoying them. a bit of a change from the bitter bombs i love so much.
redag06
12:51p, 9/17/11
No I was not there, other side of town for me but I plan on hitting it up sometime soon.
I follow leprechaun cider on fb.
Tomorrow is Brew day for me.
gordo97
1:00p, 9/17/11
They had the founder and head brewmaster of Blue Moon handing out samples of the regular and harvest lagers
did you ask him why blue moon beers have gotten crappier over the years?
62strat
1:11p, 9/17/11
blue moon hasn't gotten crapier, you've just found better tasting beers, that's all
Scantron882
4:54p, 9/17/11
I like beer and Houston

Vernada
11:09a, 9/18/11
Rockwell has Andy Gator for $1.50 a pint all day today.
62strat
12:30p, 9/18/11
it was yesterday and today.
jetch17
12:40p, 9/18/11
we tore up some Andy Gator in Baton Rouge over the summer... forgot about looking for it in the Tine

im headed to Bunker HEB in a bit, i need to pick up something new
Vernada
12:56p, 9/18/11
I highly recommend that Tank 7 if you haven't already tried it. Excellent stuff.
gordo97
1:56p, 9/19/11
good article about why budwesier sux and AB is satan

http://blog.seattlepi.com/thepourfool/2011/09/14/why-i-dont-drink-budweiser-and-why-im-not-alone/
OldArmy_01
1:58p, 9/20/11
Does anyone have a 20 on Picon? Tasted this gem in Paris and have been looking for it since then.

I feel like it's a grail quest at this point.
Vernada
1:59p, 9/20/11
I dunno anything about Picon, but based on similar quests of mine, it's best if you do not succeed and keep the good memory intact.
jetch17
4:00p, 9/21/11
did anyone go to the Santo taste test at Saint A a couple nights ago?
jetch17
9:44p, 9/21/11
Finally was able to try the Karbach Hopadillo and Weisse Versa at Backyard Grill on Jones Rd.... freaking tasty!

ada, holy balls i didnt realize Backyard had so many craft brews on tap + a saucer-esque beer club to get your name on the wall....
rschoelman
7:59a, 9/22/11

One week away! Anybody else going to GABF this year? This will be my first time, so excited!!!
Vernada
8:42a, 9/22/11
quote:
Finally was able to try the Karbach Hopadillo and Weisse Versa at Backyard Grill on Jones Rd.... freaking tasty!

ada, holy balls i didnt realize Backyard had so many craft brews on tap + a saucer-esque beer club to get your name on the wall....

They've got a nice selection, but I didn't realize they had scored some Karbach... good on 'em.
jetch17
8:44a, 9/22/11
"just got it in"
62strat
9:13a, 9/22/11
dang we went to that place years ago.. don't remember any sort of craft brews.. guess they've changed their beer model a bit.
redag06
9:15a, 9/22/11
Rockwells wouldn't by chance have NFL Sunday ticket and have all the games?

I wish more bars with Sunday ticket had good beer selections.
jetch17
9:18a, 9/22/11
we live very close to it, but dont go there often... i was suprised by the selection and focus especially on local & Texas beers (also had Southern Star, All the Saint A's, & Rahr on tap) plus some other crafts on draft.

May turn into a nice local place to stop in a have a beer/burger on a weekend.

Last night was nice since its $1 off big beers, and kids eat free
62strat
9:20a, 9/22/11
redag.. i'm not sure, they always have sports on when i go.. but the tv's are not huge, and they are high up, and only about 4 of em.. it's def. not a 'sports bar'.. like BW3s or something.
Vernada
9:35a, 9/22/11
jetch -

be sure to sign up for their club. They'll email you offers and give you a free meal during your b-day month.
62strat
11:32a, 9/23/11
Brenners 2nd annual (I think) beer shindig:

http://www.brennerssteakhouse.com/bayou/beerFest.asp

I went to this last year.. beautiful area and weather, and great beer and food. Was worth it to me. Unlimited samples, well, until they run out. I remember last year dogfish head beers went fast.
gordo97
11:39a, 9/23/11
No Label was at the "sip'n'stroll" charity event in katy last night..... they had Ridgeback and El Hefe.... it was hilarious how they kept running out of beer and had to go get more kegs, while the blue moon tent was barely being noticed.... people were climbing over each other to get more No Label brews
spadilly
1:10p, 9/29/11
Spec's at Wirt seems to be getting more and more Great Divide brews by the week.

Just picked up a sixer of Hoss Rye Ale yesterday. Very good beer. Marzen lager style.

GoAgs92
4:22p, 9/29/11
St. Arnolds Summer Pils, where have been all my life.

Great Stuff.

Also picked up a 6 of Shiner Octoberfest on sale at specs, good too.
jetch17
4:23p, 9/30/11
so they really gonna do this? i know it was mentioned earlier in the thread...

BSD
10:37p, 9/30/11
FYI, BRC has New Belgium Clutch on tap. And Specs is down to their last three bottles (yes, I was nice enough to leave three).
jetch17
11:26p, 9/30/11
62strat
7:01p, 10/2/11
looks like i need to go to specs and see what I can snatch up off this list

http://506227.cache1.evolutionhosting.com/wp-content/themes/2011/assets/uploads/gabf11_winners.pdf

Have to say.. looks like vast majority of these breweries are not in texas

Firestone with 3 wins in pale ale categories. Will have to keep my eye out.
Couple of texas brews in the winning circle as well.
Also, BJ's pumkin ale takes a silver..I remember liking it last season, will have to make an effort to get to bj's soon.
Vernada
7:09p, 10/2/11
Who is 'pizza port'!? They were everywhere.
62strat
7:33p, 10/2/11
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pizza_Port
BSD
7:47p, 10/2/11
I think I saw Pizza Port on "Drinking Made Easy" a few weeks ago. I'll have to check them out on my next trip out there.
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 11 of 49
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings