*** Official Houston Beer Thread ***
77,496 Views | 1699 Replies
gordo97
12:59a, 9/10/11
Wow
62strat
12:14p, 9/10/11
quote:

Total bill (after arguing that they didn't include everything): $28!!
Holy smokes!
Anyway, pretty sure they didn't charge us for something.

hah.. welcome to rockwells! pretty sure i've said on here before we've been amazed at how low our bill is sometimes. Last time we went in town (to BRC).. was about $80 for same beers and about same quality food.

Glad you had a good experience.. the wait on food has been an issue lately at peak hours. was it crowded?
Vernada
2:42p, 9/10/11
All the tables were full, but there was room at the bar. Bar service was great. We got our burgers maybe 15 minutes after we ordered.... might have been even quicker.
wessimo
3:05p, 9/10/11
ada, they had to have messed up on your tab.

I was at rockwells last night (wife and two young kids were with me) and we had two burgers, a hopadillo and a weissa versa, and our tab was $24 before tip.

It was our first visit too. I liked the place but it is out of the way for us so I'd only stop by if I was in the neighborhood.

They used to have a burger called "the Diablo" that had ghost chilis on it - I wanted to order it but the waitress said they were asked to stop serving it by the local hospital after it put three people in the ER - one on ICU for three days. Weenies :/

[This message has been edited by wessimo (edited 9/10/2011 2:09p).]
Vernada
5:35p, 9/10/11
quote:
ada, they had to have messed up on your tab.

Like I said following jetch's post... I know they messed up the tab. It should have $40-something. We even argued with them about it. But whaddya going to do?
jgardner04
4:24p, 9/11/11
@Agz_2003 That is a good one. Especially on a hot day.
Serotonin
4:10p, 9/13/11
Picked up at Central Market:

http://www.averybrewing.com/our-ales/80
quote:
Beer Style: Oak Aged English Strong Ale
Hop Variety: Columbus, Fuggels
Malt Variety: Two-row barley, caramel 150L
OG: 1.140
ABV: 14.5
IBUs: 41
Color: Copper

62strat
4:40p, 9/13/11
dang.. good day to make it over rockwell..

from their FB:

Rockwell Tavern & Grill
Tot's Tuesday: 1 free kids meal per adult entree purchase! With the exception of Abita Pecan Harvest, all Abita & New Belgium bottles are $2!
Vernada
4:41p, 9/13/11
CATAGBQ04
4:50p, 9/13/11
Just announced that Texas Beer Fest will be April 28, 2012 at Discovery Green
wessimo
4:44p, 9/15/11
PSA: Central Market beer sale, 25% off starting tomorrow. Sale goes for two weeks I think. I blew over $100 there last year.
herb96
4:54p, 9/15/11
Karbach tours start next week

http://www.karbachbrewing.com/tours/brewery-tours
jetch17
4:57p, 9/15/11
we need to do a weekend brewery tour one month, a different bewery each Saturday when (if) it cools off.

-Saint A
-Karbach
-Southern Star
-No Label
-etc...

Outside of Saint A, i have never been to any of the others and would like to check em out.
spadilly
4:58p, 9/15/11
I submit we get a map of local go-kart tracks and plan our brewery trips based on locations.
jetch17
5:00p, 9/15/11
well we now know the Karbach/Speedys combo can be reignited
Vernada
6:50p, 9/15/11
Looks like Karbach tours are firing up.

quote:
Reserve Your Tour Today!

IMPORTANT: THE ONLY WAY TO GUARANTEE TOUR ENTRY IS TO RESERVE YOUR SPOT IN ADVANCE!!!

Cost: $7 Admission

Time: Fridays from 5PM-7PM, Saturdays from Noon-3PM

Tours of Karbach Brewing Co. are very informative and can be appreciated by the novice beer drinker as well as the skilled homebrewer. A very informal setting lets you hang out right among the tanks and take a guided tour of the brewhouse all while enjoying some samples along the way! Get all of those questions you’ve been dying to have answered out of the way before or after the tour. Just find a brewery employee and we’ll be more than happy to talk you through it.

http://karbachbrewing.com/tours/brewery-tours
Agmechanic
6:59p, 9/15/11
spadilly and jetch, the Houston brewery tour sounds amazing. Need to do it in the spring, after the footballs are over.
metrag06
7:14p, 9/15/11
Brewery tour sounds like a good idea.

I stopped by Central Market his afternoon and talked with the guy from Dogfish Head - they're gonna be at Petrol Station around 7 (forgot what he said they were taking) tonight, then Flying Saucer is supposed to have some Burton Baton later tonight, around 9 or so.

They had some Punkin Ale but not a whole lot, better try to stop in this weekend if you're a fan. Not much else aside from what we can get from them year round.
62strat
11:22a, 9/16/11
had the karbach ipa and southern star proam yesterday
Karbach.. it was OK.. not my favorite IPA, but was hoppy nonetheless.
SS proam is a cascadian (black IPA), it was pretty good.. about on par with the couple other black IPA's ive had (sublimely, hop in the dark, pyramid, widmer)
jetch17
11:25a, 9/16/11
HEB had a shit-ton of DFH Punkin' Ale a couple days ago
62strat
11:48a, 9/16/11
mmmm..

forgot to add, we've all heard how either rockwells is cheap or they just screw up.
i had the karback IPA, dale pales ale, and SS black IPA, all on draft.
Woman had a 2 lawnmowers and 2 haufbraus, all on bottle.

Our bill, 3 pint & 4 bottles, was $17..

that's why i love that place. $17 don't get you jack in town, or anywhere else really. Not craft brews. Hell you'd be hard pressed to find 7 bud lights for $17.
spadilly
1:06p, 9/16/11
picked up some DFH Punkin today at Specs (HEB at Bunker Hill didn't have any in stock - i blame Jetch)

also picked up some Clown Shoes Tramp Stamp. This was highly recommended from a friend, and this was the first time I have seen it in stores down here. Belgium IPA. Can't wait for it to get cold.

Vernada
1:19p, 9/16/11
was that at Specs or at Bunker Hill HEB?

If Specs, which one?

I've been wanting to try some of their stuff.
spadilly
1:33p, 9/16/11
specs between Wirt and Bingle.

Ask for Rudy. He'll show you.
jetch17
1:50p, 9/16/11
if any of yall stumble upon that New Belgium 'Clutch' beer please let me know... would like to pick some up as gifts (and also try it)
62strat
2:05p, 9/16/11
quote:
Belgium IPA

just an FYI:
Belgium = a country
Belgian = something from or relating to said country.

So, 'Belgian IPA'

Sorry.. pet peeve I guess

jetch17
2:19p, 9/16/11
its called a Belgian Dip...

spadilly
2:26p, 9/16/11
I knew that...One of those deals where your mind thinks one thing and you type something else.

quote:
Like a stamp on a tramp, this beer is about not so subtle seduction. Soft but complex malts, Chambly yeast, sweet orange peel, Columbus, Amarillo, and Centennial hops have merged to create a bodacious Belgian IPA.

[This message has been edited by spadilly (edited 9/16/2011 1:28p).]
Vernada
3:57p, 9/16/11
quote:
specs between Wirt and Bingle.

Ask for Rudy. He'll show you.

Wow. Terrific store.

I picked up a few things:

Clown Shoes Tramp Stamp
Clown Shoes Hoppy Feet
Avery Salvation
Avery Reverend
Maui Mana Wheat (for the missus)
Boulevard Tank 7
Ska Brewing Blonde Dubbel (for the missus)

Pretty solid haul if I do say so myself.

And not a single one of those is at my local Specs (except maybe the Ska).
gordo97
4:24p, 9/16/11
wow....... did you drop a hundred or what
62strat
4:29p, 9/16/11
Guess I take my local specs (both of em) for granted.. they regularly have all what you listed and more.

249@ spring cypress and the one in tomball (slightly smaller selection).
both about 2 miles from my house.
249 has the entire back wall of cooler beers (~30', about 10' of it macro beers), then about 30' on left wall is room temp beers (all micro/craft, top shelf all bombers.)

Are there much smaller ones I guess with skimpy beer selections? guess i never noticed much..
gordo97
5:00p, 9/16/11
yup..... one in katy on 99 has a fairly small selection by specs standards
redag06
6:16p, 9/16/11
Tonight at Rockwells, There will be a food menu with leprechaun cider, had this stuff at Texas beer fest and really enjoyed it, and I know a lot of you go out there quite a bit.
BSD
6:25p, 9/16/11
Jetch, the downtown specs has the NB Clutch (dark sour ale).  I got one to try tomorrow.  Also got:
Stone Sublimely Self Righteous x 3
Stone Ruination IPA
Stone Cali-Belgie IPA
Deschutes Hop in the Dark x 3
Clown Shoes Hoppy Feet
Clown Shows Tramp Stamp
Mikkeller 10 American IPA
Brewdog Bashah Black Begian DIPA

And more importantly, just finalized my order of RRBC PtE, Consecration, Supplication, and Salvation to be shipped in November for a beer dinner. I'd call this a good beer day.
Vernada
7:10p, 9/16/11
62-

My local Specs is at 290 & Jones. It's big and has a huge wine selection.

They have loads of beer, but don't have a large selection of American craft. I can usually find something good, but you can see from list above that they are deficient in some places.
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 10 of 49
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings