*** Official Houston Beer Thread ***
77,136 Views | 1699 Replies
BSD
10:32p, 8/29/11
Just finished a Russian River Supplication. It was a delicious beer with a cherry finish and a nice change of pace from the IPA kick I've been on lately.
rschoelman
9:17a, 9/2/11

Had the Hopadillo and Weisse Versa at Petrol yesterday(img is the Hopadillo obviously)

Hopadillo was a solid IPA, right down the middle, not too hoppy, not too malty.... I was at Petrol while Eric Wagner and crew were there (they were handing out their beers to everybody for free, awesome), he said that the first batch came in a little high on the gravity, about 7.5% instead of the intended 6.6% so enjoy it while it last

Weisse Versa was also good, excited to get this in cans when they start canning, it will be a great tailgating/pool/hot day beer, it reminded me a lot of Weedwacker, which is a good thing IMO

Also, Ben had good things to say about the lager that will be out in a couple weeks...
Vernada
9:56a, 9/2/11
good to hear.

so they plan on canning? do you know how quickly that will come online?
BSD
11:37p, 9/2/11
Has anyone signed up for (or donated to) openthetaps.org? I talked to them for a bit today and it seems like a worthwhile organization to act on behalf of the consumer.
Vernada
11:41p, 9/2/11
I follow them on Facebook
CATAGBQ04
11:42p, 9/2/11
Karbach
BSD
12:10a, 9/3/11
I followed them for a little while but became more interested in their mission, goals, and plan of action so I contacted them today and ended up donating some money. As a consumer, I feel like I have very little representation and openthetaps appeals to me since these guys are just like me: people who just want to drink what they want, when they want.
Vernada
7:31p, 9/5/11
I'm taking an intro to home brew class at Delfacos starting next week (12-Sept).

If any of you hosers are interested then sign-up and let me know.

http://www.defalcos.com/virtuemart.html?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=457&category_id=71
jetch17
9:42p, 9/5/11
im intrigued, let me look at my calandar
jetch17
9:49p, 9/5/11
i picked up some Chile Beer at Central Market for sh*ts & grins... the GD beer has a seerano floating in it... needless to say that ho was spicy, i REALLY have to be in the mood for it, but it basically tastes like beer with jalapeno juice in it... not the greatest, pure novelty.
spadilly
10:31p, 9/5/11
Thanks for being the test subject for this board jetch. I saw that at specs Friday and finally decided against it.
I like beer. I like spicy peppers. I don't think I'd like them together.
Vernada
7:59a, 9/6/11
I came across this link this weekend.

http://houston.taplister.com/bar

rschoelman
9:46a, 9/6/11
haven't been on taplister in awhile, it used to be just liberty station, petrol and saucer that would update their list, glad to see more bars are using it...
GoAgs92
11:59a, 9/6/11
had some Hoptober, it was good, gave one to my neighbor since he game me a couple dos equis ambers...

the look on his face was pure comedic gold when he drank it....BITTER BEER FACE!...ha.
herb96
2:44p, 9/6/11
quote:
I came across this link this weekend.

http://houston.taplister.com/bar

There is an app for that.
Teddy Perkins
4:18p, 9/6/11
Hmmm...not sure if the above site is incorrect or if the Karbach kegs are done but I had the Hopadillo and Weisse Versa at Liberty Station on Sunday. Both were really good. The Weisse Versa was shockingly good. I'm not usually a wheat beer fan but this was better than most.
Vernada
4:25p, 9/6/11
speaking of Apps... Bull and Bear has an iPhong app.
62strat
4:39p, 9/6/11
i'll have to meander on over to my OTL hangout, they have em both on tap, def. wanna try them.
jetch17
4:46p, 9/6/11
yep saw on Rockwells FB that they have Karbach now ... i REALLY need to get over and check that place out, especially with all the stroking 62 does for them.
Vernada
4:51p, 9/6/11
+1
jetch17
4:53p, 9/6/11
i see a weekend outing in the near future?
Vernada
4:55p, 9/6/11
62strat
5:07p, 9/6/11
hah well they've been having a hard time with employees leaving left and right and the service has suffered because of it.. so a fri/sat night dinner may not be a great experience. (last time we played my drummers wife waited about an hour for her burger!)

but if you go just to drink you'll have no problems, just great beers (and cheap!)

most pints of beer are $4.00 or $4.50 and $1 off for HH (before 7pm)
jetch17
8:48p, 9/6/11
yeah i wouldnt mind goin just to beverage for a while, or just go on a day where im not in a hurry
TXAG 05
12:38p, 9/9/11
I am sure most of you guys get these emails but just in case:

Help Us Decide the Santo Recipe on Monday, September 19

So last you heard, we were busy dumping 11,000 gallons Santo that were not up to our standards down the drain, and many of you were suggesting that we wait till you got here with a bucket to fill up. We didn't wait.

We have since brewed a batch where we tweaked the recipe. In fact, we split it into two tanks and pitched it with different yeasts. We're happy with this batch but would like to have you come and vote on which version you prefer, X or Y. It's our version of market research. So we are going to have a Monday night tour, just like our regular tours, with the exception that you will also get a ballot and the opportunity to try Version X and Version Y and vote for one. Here are the details:

Special Monday Night Tour

Date: Monday, September 19

Time: 6 PM to 8 PM

Cost: $7 per person

Everything about the tour is identical to our normal tours except it is in the evening and you will get a ballot too.

Vernada
12:46p, 9/9/11
Karbach guys are going to be on the Mucky Duck patio starting at 5pm tonight. Karbach glass (filled) and Karbach t-shirt for $16 available.
redag06
12:54p, 9/9/11
I will be there to vote on the new Santo recipe!
Vernada
12:56p, 9/9/11
It really feels like SA is trying to force this Santo... it's like they came up with a cool label (to utilize a piece of commissioned art) and are now working to get a beer to match it.

jetch17
12:59p, 9/9/11
Anyone down to hit the Oktoberfest party at Saint A this year?

theres a Friday & Saturday event.
spadilly
3:52p, 9/9/11
Checking in from Denver.
Enjoying an amazing beer sampler at Wynkoop Brewing Company.
Blanco Ag
10:43p, 9/9/11
Tried out an Ugly Pug black lager... PRETTY GOOD! Would drink again!

Vernada
10:50p, 9/9/11
Gave Rockwell Tavern a try tonight for the first time.

We had:

Whoop Ass - Philly cheese
King Bubba - Big ass burger with a fried egg

(both excellent)

Karbach IPA
Karback Weiss Versa
Real Ale Hans Pils x2
Abita Andy Gator
Maui Brewing Mana Wheat
Boner Sun Kissed Wheat

Total bill (after arguing that they didn't include everything): $28!!

Holy smokes!

Anyway, pretty sure they didn't charge us for something.

Great place. Will go back many times.

They have LOADS of beers. Lots of stuff you've probably seen at Specs and wanted to try. And all of it is about $4 (bottle/can) and all their drafts are $3.50. Cheaper during HH. You've got to be kidding me!?

jetch (and others) just let me know when you want to pop-over for a random beer.

[This message has been edited by ada8356 (edited 9/9/2011 9:57p).]
jetch17
10:58p, 9/9/11
Vernada
11:00p, 9/9/11
Should have been $40 something. HAD to be $40 something.

$8-$9 entrees. Plus 7 beers.

Also: Special tonight was St. Arnolds, Sierra Nevada, and Independence - $2 a bottle. SRSLY!?
TxKng82
11:26p, 9/9/11
Rockwells is great...there yesterday evening, got chicken sandwich(awesome) and 4 beers and tab was only $16...cant beat happy hour prices trying awesome craft brews for $2.50-3.00 a beer.
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 9 of 49
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings