*** Official Houston Beer Thread ***
77,135 Views | 1699 Replies
62strat
1:13p, 12/20/11
Ridiculous TABC labeling laws coming to an end?

http://brewednotbattered.wordpress.com/2011/12/20/judgment-day-authentic-beverage-v-tabc/
Vernada
1:16p, 12/20/11
quote:
I’m going to post a quick summary, and follow up later with interesting tidbits from Judge Sparks’ ruling. But in the interest of getting information out there quickly, the Judge has ruled Sec. 108.01(a)(4) of the Texas Alcoholic Beverage Code unconstitutional as a violation of the First Amendment. . Additionally, he has ruled Texas Administrative Code Title 16, Sec 45.77, 45.79(f), 45.90, & 45.110(c)(3) unconstitutional as a violation of the First Amendment.

What does this mean in layman’s terms? 3 things:

TABC cannot prohibit you from telling customers or advertising where they can buy your products
TABC cannot require you to label your products by their definition of “beer” and “ale”
TABC cannot prohibit you from advertising the strength of your products by prohibiting words like “strong”, “prewar strength”, “full strength”, etc
62strat
1:24p, 12/20/11
looks like they tried to slip HB 502 or whatever # it is in this suit as well.

http://brewednotbattered.wordpress.com/2011/11/22/authentic-beverage-v-tabc-et-al/

quote:
Brewers’ have their 14th amendment rights violated by virtue of the states make brewers chose between being a brewpub (which can only sell its products directly to the consumer on its premise) and a production brewery (which can only sell its products to distributors for resale) while not applying the same restrictions to wineries, which are allowed to do both.
62strat
1:25p, 12/20/11
quote:
The defense did cite the 21st amendment, which ended prohibition and gave the states to regulate alcohol in their state, as a defense, but that led to the most comical moment of the morning for me, as Judge Sparks asked: “So can the state just define wine as beer? Can they define malt liquor as orange juice? [...] These are false statements.”

Good bull mr. judge.
Vernada
1:45p, 12/20/11
nice
bmc13
2:05p, 12/20/11
woo!
BSD
2:34p, 12/20/11
This is great news. There's still a lot of work to be done in this state but this is a great start!
jetch17
2:46p, 12/20/11
Noble07
3:03p, 12/20/11
http://houston.eater.com/archives/2011/12/20/judge-rules-provisions-of-alcoholic-beverage-code-unconstitutional.php

quote:
There is a hidden expense to this lawsuit for all Texas breweries. The TABC is now going to have to come up with a new way of differentiating between beers that are above and below 4% alcohol by weight [...] There are some retail licenses in the state that only allow the sale of beers below 4% ABW. In fact there are some counties and precincts that only allow beers under 4%. This part of the law is quite legal. Once the TABC comes up with its method for signifying these categories, we will have to change all of our labels. This is not an enormous expense, but will probably cost us at least a few thousand dollars.

[This message has been edited by henry07 (edited 12/20/2011 3:04p).]
62strat
3:21p, 12/20/11
well that's no big deal. Plenty of states still have 'three two' beer, or beer that is 3.2%, usually required to be that low if it's sold in grocery stores, or maybe after a certain hour, whereas the full strength beer is sold in liquor store...

but the labeling makes since, it's called three two beer, because it's 3.2% abv.

so, TABC, here's my ingenious suggestion. How about you call it 'four o' beer.

It's really not complicated. many other states require breweries to actually make a less alcoholic beer to conform to their 3.2 laws.
All we have to do is make another label.. but at least this one isn't flat out wrong, like the ale/beer thing.

[This message has been edited by 62strat (edited 12/20/2011 3:22p).]
Vernada
3:31p, 12/20/11
it would be nice to see switch too to ABV instead of ABW.
62strat
4:09p, 12/20/11
Eh.. who cares, it's linear.. ABW * 1.25 = ABV.

my 3.2% example above? that is actually abw (I accidentally put abv).
3.2 abw is 4.0 abv.
I'm thinking legislation is always going to use abw.
Though hard liquor proofs are in abv..

[This message has been edited by 62strat (edited 12/20/2011 4:11p).]
62strat
4:09p, 12/21/11
There's more breweries than I thought in SE TX.

Houston
8th Wonder Brewing
Buffalo Brewing
No Label
City Acre
Karbach
Small World Brewing
Down Easy Brewing
Vallensons Brewery
Kreuz Creek
Gulf Brewing
Ballyhoo
Heady
Saint Arnold
Galactic Coast
Cigar Band Brewing in Galveston (no link)
Strike Brewing (no link)

Beaumont area
Cornel Brewing
Texas Big Beer

College Station
New Republic
The Republic (brewpub?)

I wonder how many of these are just pipe dreams by homebrewers who hope to join in the revolution? I haven't seen half of these on shelves, or heard any 'coming soon' news.

[This message has been edited by 62strat (edited 12/21/2011 4:27p).]
Head Ninja In Charge
4:48p, 12/21/11
Left off Southern Star, bruh, bruh.
62strat
7:13p, 12/21/11
Didn't take long to take advantage of the new ruling.
http://karbachbrewing.com/beers/where-to-find-us2
jetch17
7:59p, 12/21/11
spadilly
11:09a, 12/22/11
Kroger on Wirt was restocking the shelves this morning when I went in.

St A Winter Stout and (keeping with beer coming out a season too early) Shiner Spring Dortmunder made their appearance for the first time.
jetch17
11:24a, 12/22/11
Spadilly, i still have your Rougue Voodoo Doughnut
spadilly
11:44a, 12/22/11
Yeah, I thought of that this morning.
You going to be around town next week?
jetch17
11:49a, 12/22/11
Yep, off til after new years, just give me a shout
spadilly
12:21p, 12/22/11
Nice. Let's hit Backyard Grill or SA one afternoon.
Jock 07
3:10p, 12/23/11
In the spirit of giving, the beer guy with the beard @ the JV Specs let me buy the last one of these that he had stashed away for himself and wished me a hoppy holidays

bmc13
3:14p, 12/23/11
jealous!!!! had one the other day....very nice.
spadilly
3:21p, 12/23/11
Nice!
That's an excellent beer. Haven't seen any aound since last year.

Stopped by the midtown specs yesterday and was reminded how much more they have there compared to every other specs in town
jetch17
3:30p, 12/23/11
Nice score
TxKng82
4:50p, 12/23/11
Man definitely jealous, love the Burton Baton...
Green Fairy
4:51p, 12/23/11
quote:
Stopped by the midtown specs yesterday and was reminded how much more they have there compared to every other specs in town

I'm partial to the one on Weslayan/Bissonnet. It's not worth driving past that one to have to deal with the cluster-f that can be the midtown Spec's.
BSD
6:51p, 12/23/11
Cross post from food board:

Just left the Petrol Station bottle share. First and foremost, let me call out Jetch for pussing out.

Secondly, this is something I plan to do every year until I die, and then I hope they spread my ashes on the ground where people empty those last few drops of thier cups. Some of my favorites:

Dank tank Sweet water mean joe bean
Founders breakfast stout
Belzebuth
Dreadnaught IPA 
Heady topper  alchemist IPA
Goose Island Nightstalker
Oude  gueze Boone 
Rasputin 14
Smokestack bourbon barrel quad 
Pliny the Elder (yeah, I have this at home but I can't get enough)

There were many many more and I just didn't write down the name of every beer I tasted, but there were some damn fine beers poured. I took a RRBC Framboise for the Cure, a RRBC Damnation 23, and a Rogue Voodoo. The voodoo disappeared in about a minute, with several people requesting more. The other 2 were also well received.

Now time for a wine dinner at my house...
jetch17
11:10p, 12/23/11
Damn, definitely won't miss again. I think I may do the Rockwell bottle swap next Wednesday if you want to be coaxed way out to Telge off 290

The Petrol FB pics looked epic
BSD
12:26p, 12/24/11
Can't make it up there for that one, as we'll be in Dallas seeing the family. Enjoy it.

Yeah, there was a ton of beer and really good people up there. I talked one group of guys into meeting me out in Cal for the Pliny the Younger release. I think next year I'll be in the Christmas spirit a little more and take a Utopias to get the party started.

I forgot to mention that Bayou brewing was up there with a hibiscus beer that they will release once they get up and running. It wasn't bad but I had it right after a few stouts so my taste buds were a little off. It was nice to see them pouring though.
62strat
11:27a, 12/27/11
Tonight at rockwell

"TONIGHT: Gregg Berman of Clown Shoes Beer will be with us at 6:30pm! Come meet the brewer, free tasting and special on Clown Shoes!"
spadilly
3:00p, 12/27/11
For Christmas, the in-laws gave me a membership for a Beer of the Month club.

12 bottles of American microbrews each month. First one should be in the last week of January

http://www.amazingbeerclub.com/
Green Fairy
8:49p, 12/27/11
Agmechanic and I just bought BRC out of Brooklyn Brewing Black Ops 750mL. It was barreled in Woodford Reserve whiskey barrels, and was AWESOME! Like beer and whiskey in every drink.
Agmechanic
9:01p, 12/27/11
YOU CAN'T KNOW ABOUT BLACK OPS!!!

LOOK AWAY!
jetch17
9:08p, 12/27/11
Finally gettin around to trying Pine Belt Pale Ale tonight, not bad

CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy