*** Official Houston Beer Thread ***
77,119 Views | 1699 Replies
Green Fairy
7:48p, 5/11/11
Hana Wheat and Coconut Porter are both top notch.
rschoelman
9:01p, 5/11/11
any reports on the Bikini Blonde or Big Swell IPA?
62strat
8:20a, 5/12/11
Saint Arnold is the current 'featured brewery' on craftbeer.com

http://www.craftbeer.com/pages/stories/featured-brewery/show?title=saint-arnold-brewing-company
cone
9:16a, 5/12/11
word is that the old 123 bar might be converted into a brew pub
Head Ninja In Charge
10:36a, 5/12/11
Had some Andygator last night after reading a couple of testimonials from you guys. I approve.
spadilly
10:52a, 5/12/11
quote:

Big Swell is next on my list. Probably pick some up over the weekend and give it a try.
rschoelman
10:27a, 5/13/11
Looks like I'm going to summer camp....

http://www.liveitbig.org/Camp_Beer_--_Houston.html
62strat
10:50a, 5/13/11
quote:
Our next Camp Beer event will be Saturday, June 11, 2011.

OK, surely they realize there is a beer festival that day downtown..

why would they do this?
spadilly
10:52a, 5/13/11
had Weedwacker on tap yesterday at Brian O'Neill's.

I guess the rollout is complete now. Saw that it was now on tap or waiting to be tapped at most places this week
rschoelman
11:22a, 5/13/11
quote:
OK, surely they realize there is a beer festival that day downtown..

why would they do this?

to kill two birds with one buzz
Milwaukees Best Light
11:27a, 5/13/11
Was in Lake Charles recently. There are two six packs of DR 11 for sale at Hokus Pokus liquor store, pretty close to LDL if anybody is interested. I didn't buy any because Barley Wine isn't my thing.
62strat
3:04p, 5/13/11
mmm

man this event tore me up.. didn't wake up until 8:30, and I was spinning while I was getting ready for work!

[This message has been edited by 62strat (edited 5/13/2011 2:04p).]
Echoes97
3:12p, 5/13/11
quote:
I didn't buy any because Barley Wine isn't my thing.
I hope IPA's aren't your thing cause that's what DR11 is (double IPA actually).

[This message has been edited by Echoes97 (edited 5/13/2011 2:12p).]
spadilly
3:30p, 5/13/11
quote:

just cracked a Big Swell IPA.

initial thoughts? C+
not overly impressed with this one. I know it's an IPA, but they need to tone down the hops some. The hoppyness actually reminds me of Southern Star's Pine Belt Pale Ale when it first came out (before they toned down the hops).
The bitterness just hangs around too long after you finish it.

It's good, but probably won't maintain a steady rotation in my fridge.
Now, give me a month and I'll be laying on the beaches in Hawaii...pretty sure any beer would taste great.

schmendeler
3:32p, 5/13/11
did they really change pine belt's hoppiness? a friend of mine didn't like it before and now likes it. i just assumed his tastes had changed, but it sounds like maybe they altered their recipe.
redag06
6:14p, 5/13/11
Where are you guys finding the Maui Brew?

I went to a good size specs today, and they had none.
suture_scissors
6:27p, 5/13/11
I found it at the Kroger just north of I-10 at Durham/Shepherd
spadilly
6:28p, 5/13/11
specs at i-10 between wirt and bingle
Thunder18
2:58p, 5/15/11
we were day-drinking at Taps last Sunday and I had some beer out of the golden peeing statue tap. pretty good stuff but i never got the name, also had scrimshaw (?) which was pretty damn good as well
Milwaukees Best Light
5:16p, 5/15/11
You are correct. I am not a fan of this whole IPA and extra hoppy fad going on right now. Give me a good ole bock, amber or brown ale any day of the week.
Green Fairy
5:44p, 5/15/11
quote:
Where are you guys finding the Maui Brew

Whole Foods in Bellaire/West U had it a couple of weeks ago.

NASAg03
2:00p, 5/16/11

This past weekend I was in Spicewood for some camping and we stopped off at a German restaurant. They had some Real Ale Real Heavy on tap - this stuff is amazing. If you like Old Chub Scotch Ale from Oskar Blues, you will love this. It's a little stronger, but the alcohol taste isn't as pronounced.

I'm not sure if they had this last spring, but I never saw it on the shelves or in a bar.

I'm going to check at Specs today to see if they have any bottles of it.

http://realalebrewing.com/beers/realheavy
phatbc
10:03p, 5/16/11
Freetail officially coming!
gordo97
1:18p, 5/17/11
anyone every try this one or maybe where it can be found? i love bourbon barrell ales

62strat
12:20p, 5/31/11
big galveston festival coming

http://www.brewmastersinternationalbeerfestival.com/

2nd year. apparently first year had 8K people! I don't remember even hearing about it.

[This message has been edited by 62strat (edited 5/31/2011 11:26a).]
GoAgs92
6:05p, 5/31/11
I hit up No Label in katy last weekend and their beer has improved quite a bit from the last time I went a couple months ago.

I asked the brewer if they changed the recipe, he said no, t's better due to the new brew equipment being able to keep the temp consistent.

I also picked up a 12 pack of sam adams summer pack at HEB to try out some different beers...only $11.97 which is a good deal in my opinion.
KRamp96
9:38a, 6/1/11
I tried Shiner Light Blonde and it tastes like carbonated water.
rschoelman
7:36a, 6/2/11
Happy Release Day!

herb96
9:51a, 6/2/11
this should be fun:
http://houstonbeerfestival.com/#BeerMenu
62strat
8:07a, 6/9/11
Brooklyn Brewery tasting tonight

https://www.facebook.com/#!/event.php?eid=202039696505305

@ rockwells, telge, east of 290

quote:

Brooklyn Brewery Rep will be here with some swag and we'll be tapping a keg of Brooklyn Brewmaster's Reserve - Main Engine Start,
a Belgian Abbey Single
redag06
9:38a, 6/9/11
I am a big fan of the Brooklyn Brewery Beers.

Maing Engine Start and Pennant Ale!!!
62strat
9:38a, 6/9/11
they've had brooklyn lager on tap for a couple weeks now too.
spadilly
2:03a, 6/18/11
back from Hawaii. drank Kona, Maui Brewing, and Primo while I was down there.

Hit both the Kona and Maui brewpubs. So freaking delicious. Had the samplers at both places.
Here's what I came away with.

Kona Brewing Co

-first off, their Lavaman Red Ale was available on tap at every bar/resort we went to. This stuff is amazing. I swear this would be a staple in my fridge if it every made it's way out here.

On to the beer samples I had (I stayed away form anything I can get here in Houston):

Big Wave Golden Ale - not bad, not great. better than most golden ales I've had before - actually included some flavor.
Castaway IPA - this was delicious. by far the best IPA I had on the islands. Much better than Maui's IPA
Black Sand Porter - I'll go ahead an admit I'm not big on porters, and only tried this one to say I've have it before. It was good for what it was, but then again I wouldnt order a pint of it.
Coco Loco Brown - take your typical brown ale, add some coconut to it and this is what you get. a little too sweet for me to drink as a session beer.
Duke's Blonde - think bud/miller/coors...but wait for it below...
Old Blowhole Barleywine - thick. at 12%, I think this beer would sneak up on you. the alcohol is somewhat hidden. the taste was actually very similar to St Arnold's barleywine DR. I honestly dont think I would be able to tell them apart.
Hula Hefeweizen -banana flavor. a little too odd for my liking.
Ginger Duke's Blonde Ale with Lemongrass - this was recommended to me by the bartender. I was a little hesitant because I wasnt impressed with the Blonde Ale to start with, plus ginger and lemongrass just sounded odd. I was completely blown away with this beer.
The ginger was nowhere near as strong as the new shiner ruby, and then the lemongrass added an unique aftertaste. I could have spent the entire afternoon drinking nothing but this. By far the best beer I had while I was out there.

Maui Brewing
(i'll update this later...the jet lag is getting to me right now.)

[This message has been edited by spadilly (edited 6/18/2011 1:04a).]
Green Fairy
11:05a, 6/18/11
Dammit, Spadilly...now I want to head back to Hawaii REALLY bad.

The Kona Brewing set up is awesome.....it also helps that it's on an island in the middle of the south Pacific. Too bad Texas laws lick and we can't have that here.
jetch17
11:40a, 6/18/11
Great rundown, looking forward to the rest! Sounds like an awesome trip!

The Kona brewery/brewpub setup IS great. Like Green Fairy, reading these reviews has me jonesing to get back!
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 3 of 49
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings