*** Official Houston Beer Thread ***
77,116 Views | 1699 Replies
62strat
3:22p, 3/26/12
http://houstonbeerfestival.com
tix on sale

Browsing through the beer list.. I chuckled as I started coming across some of the beers:

bud light, bud light lime, budweiser, coors light, michelob ultra, ziegenbock, miller lite, lone star, schlitz, pbr, dos equis, negro modelo

I mean.. are people really gonna pay $25 to get in and in turn sample some of these macros? Why even bother bring that stuff in? I know AB makes some 'craft' type brews, this would be the place to showcase them.
I could maaaybe see you wanting to do side by side with a light american lager next to a craft lager to see the difference.. but it's a stretch.

Oh well.. you never know, they might run out of water, then that stuff would come in handy
Texaggie7nine
4:20p, 3/26/12
I know how they could serve lots of the piss beer. Have their own booths so when people get tired of waiting an hour to get their craft beer, they just give up and go get a bud light.

ChipFTAC01
5:17p, 3/26/12
Is this the festival that was the huge cluster f*** last year downtown?
redag06
5:39p, 3/26/12
Didn't read and thought it was Texas beer fest.

[This message has been edited by Redag06 (edited 3/26/2012 5:55p).]
Stephen12684
6:35p, 3/26/12
Yes, this was the cluster from last year.

Just get there early and drink as fast as you can.
BSD
6:57p, 3/26/12
I'll be at hay merchant in the air conditioning!
GoAgs92
9:20p, 4/1/12
tried some full sail IPA...it was ok.

many better ones on the market.
NorthHollywoodHenry
11:09a, 4/2/12
I tried the No Label Jalapeno Ale at Onion Creek yesterday afternoon. Not great, but not bad. We all thought it tasted like jalapeno potato chips.
jetch17
11:22a, 4/2/12
tried a taster of thr Jalapeno at Rockwells Saturday. That was all i wanted of it, just a taste ... no way id want a whole pint of that.
Head Ninja In Charge
11:37a, 4/2/12
Never had a jalapeno beer. Sounds terrible.

Had Buffalo Bayou x City Acre's chai porter at Hay Merchant and 512's Double Pecan porter at Downhouse yesterday. Both were great. 512's porter was a bourbon barrel-aged one. Tough.
Texaggie7nine
12:00p, 4/2/12
Had another pint of the Jalapeño at the tour Saturday. I think it would compliment a good spicy mexican meal. I don't think I would drink more than 1 pint though.

[This message has been edited by Texaggie7nine (edited 4/2/2012 11:00a).]
GoAgs92
12:01p, 4/2/12
tried the Jalapeno at No Label's tour it tasted ok but made the back of my throat feel like i'd just puked, like an acid burning sensation.
herb96
12:10p, 4/2/12
Made a Seattle trip a couple weeks ago and best beer I could remember I had was the Black Raven's Wisdom Seeker DIPA. If anyone ever makes a Seattle trip, check out Black Raven Brewery.

spadilly
6:23p, 4/3/12
this will be fun:

jetch17
6:24p, 4/3/12
Saw that bunker was getting a bunch o 75min
BSD
7:03p, 4/3/12
I'm heading that way as soon as the afterwork crowd clears out.
redag06
9:26p, 4/3/12
Anyone else notice how often shiner ha been showing up in movies and tv shows? Watching friends with benefits and saw they were drinking it, and how noticed in many other things.
GoAgs92
9:39p, 4/3/12
too bad it pretty much sucks.
redag06
9:51p, 4/3/12
While not the best I use shiner as my beer to drink at places that only have shiner and miller and bud. I just find it interesting how mainstream shiner is becoming.
GoAgs92
9:56a, 4/4/12
true.
BSD
1:28p, 4/4/12
HEB was out of DFH 75 when I got there at 8:00pm. Guess I waited too long.
62strat
2:17p, 4/4/12
DFH : 75min IPA :: Saint Arnold : Sailing Santa

Buy some 90 min, buy some 60 min, make your own at home.
AgDrumma07
1:29p, 4/5/12
Shiner Wild Hare Big Daddy at the Hooters at Hollister/290

Texaggie7nine
4:30p, 4/5/12
I give Wild Hare a solid meh

AgDrumma07
4:39p, 4/5/12
I give YOU a solid meh.
Green Fairy
4:47p, 4/5/12
quote:
HEB was out of DFH 75 when I got there at 8:00pm. Guess I waited too long.

Snagged the last one at the Wesleyan specs when I stopped by at lunch. I wouldnt be surprised if they had more in the back, but didn't ask. Looking forward to cracking it open tonight and kicking off a long weekend.
Texaggie7nine
5:16p, 4/5/12
I give your FACE a solid meh in the FACE!

[This message has been edited by Texaggie7nine (edited 4/5/2012 4:16p).]
BSD
5:22p, 4/5/12
quote:
Snagged the last one at the Wesleyan specs when I stopped by at lunch. I wouldnt be surprised if they had more in the back, but didn't ask. Looking forward to cracking it open tonight and kicking off a long weekend.

I was able to get some at Specs Spring Valley last night. They had one more when I left so I'm sure that went quickly.
Post removed:
by user
11:12p, 4/7/12
AgDrumma07
1:05p, 4/9/12
They had this on sale for $3/bomber at the HEB in Spring on Friday. I'm not usually a fan of pilsners but for $3, I gave it a shot. It's actually pretty good. I'd buy another bomber.

They also had the Red Hook ESB for $3/bomber but I didn't get it.
rschoelman
7:52a, 4/10/12

quote:
(Houston, TX) – Saint Arnold Brewing Company (www.saintarnold.com), the oldest craft brewery in Texas, is among the six craft breweries participating in “Hops for Heroes.” The initiative, which involves brewing and bottling Homefront IPA later this spring, will raise funds for Operation Homefront. A creation of Major League Pitcher Chris Ray and Fremont Brewing Company, Hops for Heroes began last year in Seattle. In 2012, it expands into five new markets, including Texas:

· St. Arnold, Houston, TX
· Sly Fox, Phoenixville, PA
· 21st Amendment, San Francisco, CA
· Cigar City, Tampa, FL
· Perennial Artisan Ales, St. Louis, MO

Homefront IPA is a collaborative beer developed in 2011 by Fremont Brewing Company and Center of the Universe Brewing Company in order to raise money and awareness for Operation Homefront (operationhomefront.net), a charity that provides emergency financial and other assistance to the families of our service members and wounded warriors.

Aged on oak bats donated from Louisville Slugger, this IPA is more than just flavorful – it improves the lives of our soldiers. All proceeds from the sale of this beer will be donated to Operation Homefront.

The expansion into these breweries and the support from our generous sponsors – Hops Direct, LLC, The County Malt Group, Louisville Slugger, Great Western Malting Co., Brewers Supply Group, and Rahr Malting Group – makes for a promising 2012. Baseball ambassadors and special events will be announced in the upcoming weeks.
gordo97
1:13p, 4/10/12
Aged on oak bats donated from Louisville Slugger

say what?
rschoelman
1:43p, 4/10/12
62strat
5:19p, 4/11/12
https://www.facebook.com/RockwellGrill

quote:
Buffalo Bayou Brewing Company first beer dinner will be at Rockwell Tavern & Grill on Monday April 23rd at 7pm! They are brewing up some specialties for us and the menu will be posted a little later today.
sts7049
7:14p, 4/15/12
tonight's brew....rogue yellow snow IPA. pretty tasty so far.
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 39 of 49
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings