*** Official Houston Beer Thread ***
77,635 Views | 1699 Replies
GoAgs92
11:28p, 9/4/22
In reply to drumboy
drumboy said:

GoAgs92 said:

Last few beers I've gotten from SA were ok but Eureka Heights is kicking their butts.

Mini Boss
Buckle Bunny
Mostly Harmless

All better than SA I've had recently.

Maybe I'm picking wrong…give me a SA recommendation.
Art Car
Double Down
H-Town Pils
Tarnation - Good and doesn't really taste 9%....will def session this weekend.
Double down is legit, thanks.
cena05
7:49p, 9/26/22
Buffalo Bayou Brewing in Houston is in financial trouble.

https://www.chron.com/food/article/buffalo-bayou-brewing-lawsuit-17467288.php

I wonder how they made it this long and how they could afford their brewery expansion.
wessimo
9:55p, 9/26/22
In reply to cena05
I vaguely recall them seeking out investors (maybe via crowdfunding?). I pretty much stopped drinking their beer when it came out what an a$$hat their owner is. If they go bust I hope another brewery moves into the space; it is a cool venue.
Jock 07
11:50p, 9/26/22
Has any of their stuff ever been any good? Granted it's been well over a decade since I've drank any of it but I remember it all being pretty meh to horrible.
TXAG 05
12:18a, 9/27/22
I always liked the 1836.
bluefire579
1:23p, 9/29/22
In non-Buff Brew news, Brash posted on their Facebook that they've sent out kegs of Cali Green and EZ-7 to bars, so hopefully we'll see some more stuff from them soon. God knows how long it'll be before they can open back on premises after the mess Ben left them with.
drumboy
1:28p, 9/29/22
In reply to bluefire579
bluefire579 said:

In non-Buff Brew news, Brash posted on their Facebook that they've sent out kegs of Cali Green and EZ-7 to bars, so hopefully we'll see some more stuff from them soon. God knows how long it'll be before they can open back on premises after the mess Ben left them with.
No Plushy Wagon?!
[url=https://ts.la/erik936611]https://ts.la/erik936611[/url]
Use my referral link to buy a Tesla and get awards like 3 months of Full Self-Driving Capability.

Schedule a Tesla Demo Drive using my referral link.
drumboy
1:29p, 9/29/22
Are Big Big beers coming in style? Saint Arnold has Tarnation on store shelves, Eureka has Viking Funeral at the brewery and I've had a couple other 8-9% beers at the Kroger bar.
Use my referral link to buy a Tesla and get awards like 3 months of Full Self-Driving Capability.

bluefire579
4:25p, 9/29/22
In reply to drumboy
drumboy said:

bluefire579 said:

No Plushy Wagon?!
Not yet. They mentioned MTV and Ghost will be on tap by the end of October, but sounds like they're still working out the details on the rest of the lineup. I just hope they continue making Black Masses. I know the Catholics hate it, but it's one of the best coffee stouts out there.
chico
4:36p, 9/29/22
Near Northside soon to get 2 more options:
Black Page
Bad Astronaut
Plus Frost Town recently opened-
jetch17
8:33a, 9/30/22
In reply to bluefire579
bluefire579 said:

drumboy said:

bluefire579 said:

No Plushy Wagon?!
Not yet. They mentioned MTV and Ghost will be on tap by the end of October, but sounds like they're still working out the details on the rest of the lineup. I just hope they continue making Black Masses. I know the Catholics hate it, but it's one of the best coffee stouts out there.
Saw them mention that Pssywagon will be back "but for a multitude of reasons, the beer will no longer be allowed to carry that name."
ChipFTAC01
8:34a, 9/30/22
In reply to jetch17
That's slightly less Brash.
Irish 2.0
8:44a, 9/30/22
In reply to Jock 07
Jock 07 said:

Has any of their stuff ever been any good? Granted it's been well over a decade since I've drank any of it but I remember it all being pretty meh to horrible.
As the occasional one-off I've enjoyed Dreamsicle, but if I buy a 6 pack of it, it will be 6 months before I finish it.
Texan_Aggie
8:45a, 9/30/22
In reply to ChipFTAC01
They are going to try to get into retail at some point - no way you can have that beer name sitting on a shelf at HEB.
jetch17
8:47a, 9/30/22
In reply to Texan_Aggie
Texan_Aggie said:

They are going to try to get into retail at some point - no way you can have that beer name sitting on a shelf at HEB.
so a no-go on 'Satans Anus' barrel aged thicc boi?
Texan_Aggie
8:50a, 9/30/22
In reply to jetch17
jetch17 said:

Texan_Aggie said:

so a no-go on 'Satans Anus' barrel aged thicc boi?
Likely not. There's rules on beer labels and names that you can skirt if you only sell to-go on premise. TABC has to approve the labels before they can be sold off-site.

The rumor is they are targeting the next couple of weeks to open, but they are telling people early 2023 in case they can't get their permitting straightened out. It's their goal to be open before Halloween.
AustinCountyAg
10:14a, 9/30/22
In reply to Irish 2.0
Irish 2.0 said:

Jock 07 said:

As the occasional one-off I've enjoyed Dreamsicle, but if I buy a 6 pack of it, it will be 6 months before I finish it.
my brother in law was on a big dreamsicle kick for a while. I was like you after trying it. I could drink one, but id be good not touching it again unless I was in dire need of a beer.
drumboy
12:06p, 9/30/22
In reply to jetch17
jetch17 said:

bluefire579 said:

drumboy said:

bluefire579 said:

No Plushy Wagon?!
Saw them mention that Pssywagon will be back "but for a multitude of reasons, the beer will no longer be allowed to carry that name."
Pushies.

drumboy
12:08p, 9/30/22
In reply to Jock 07
Jock 07 said:

Beto Abott P$ssy Wagon & Cali Green are solid IPAs (Cali Green might be a Pale Ale, don't remember I liked it).

Not a big stout fan so haven't had many.

Jock 07
4:28p, 9/30/22
In reply to drumboy
I was referring to Buffalo Bayou, not Brash
cajunaggie08
8:30a, 6/8/23
Bayou City Hemp just bought 8th Wonder. Bayou City Hemp was the company 8th Wonder partnered with to create the THC seltzers Wonder Water. I'm shocked Bayou City Hemp has enough capital to buy out 8th Wonder. Perhaps a lot of 8th wonder's value was tied up in the brewery which is about to be next to a major highway construction project for years.

https://www.houstonpress.com/restaurants/bayou-city-hemp-and-8th-wonder-become-one-15840167
wessimo
3:50p, 6/13/23
In reply to chico
chico said:

Black Page
Bad Astronaut

Bad Astronaut has a nice set up (free pool, games, etc) and the beer is good.
Texan_Aggie
5:03p, 6/13/23
In reply to wessimo
wessimo said:

chico said:

Black Page
Bad Astronaut

Bad Astronaut has a nice set up (free pool, games, etc) and the beer is good.
Agreed.

Black Page is a cool venue, though looks like it'd be super hot during the summer with limited inside seating. Went in March and they had an oktoberfest on tap, so not sure how quickly their turnover is.

AlaskanAg99
5:49p, 6/13/23
P-Wagon is now The Mystic.

Tasting room is closed, but you can drink in the parking lot. Inside restrooms are closed, but they have port's that appeared in the lot. I've been told they're very close to their permit for the tasting room just as it hits 115F.

Beers are spot on now that Vince is back.
aTm '99
Texan_Aggie
9:27p, 6/13/23
In reply to AlaskanAg99
I had heard fall was the earliest. Latest issue is no firewall between the equipment and tap room.
bluefire579
10:25a, 6/14/23
In reply to cajunaggie08
cajunaggie08 said:

Bayou City Hemp just bought 8th Wonder. Bayou City Hemp was the company 8th Wonder partnered with to create the THC seltzers Wonder Water. I'm shocked Bayou City Hemp has enough capital to buy out 8th Wonder. Perhaps a lot of 8th wonder's value was tied up in the brewery which is about to be next to a major highway construction project for years.

https://www.houstonpress.com/restaurants/bayou-city-hemp-and-8th-wonder-become-one-15840167
Was chatting with a buddy who has worked for years in the local industry over the weekend, and he mentioned their beer sales haven't been great, so might be they got a nice bargain. Imagine the impending I-45 construction might have had an impact as you mentioned as well.
AlaskanAg99
10:39a, 6/14/23
In reply to Texan_Aggie
Texan_Aggie said:

I had heard fall was the earliest. Latest issue is no firewall between the equipment and tap room.

The brew house is in a permitted room. Only the tasting room was unpermitted. If they have to build a wall where the tanks/celler is that shouldn't be a deal breaker. It would be virtually impossible for those tanks to rupture and cause anyone harm.

But it's the city so who the eff knows.

There's no wall between tanks at Eureka Heights either.
aTm '99
Texan_Aggie
7:43p, 6/14/23
In reply to AlaskanAg99
Yep. Supposedly it's a "new ordinance" that many existing were grandfathered into. Idk for sure, that's just what one of their industry folks who has a job pouring beers once the tap room opens told me. However, I'll note that most those in the industry are finicky so take it with a grain of salt.

Almost feels like city is cracking down harder on them given they operated without license or whatnot for years. That or their main focus is distribution to get cash flow going, so spending their time and money getting that going.

cajunaggie08
9:19a, 6/15/23
In reply to bluefire579
bluefire579 said:

cajunaggie08 said:

Was chatting with a buddy who has worked for years in the local industry over the weekend, and he mentioned their beer sales haven't been great, so might be they got a nice bargain. Imagine the impending I-45 construction might have had an impact as you mentioned as well.
I can't remember the last time I bought one of their six packs. Its not that their beer is bad. There are just tons of options and none of their beers are outstanding. Excluding the upcoming construction mess, I think they have a great location but I dont know if they make enough money as a bar to pay for the rent or mortgage. If the best thing they have going for them is location and thats about to be wrecked then it may not be a bad time to bow out and let the hemp guys give it a go. Its important to remember 8th wonder is the same guys that started Eatsie Boys and they have been burned by a failed brick and mortar location and just recently shut down their food truck for good. It seems they are great at concepts but never can quite get the long term growth part figured out.
drumboy
9:34a, 6/15/23
In reply to cajunaggie08
I stop in , have a couple of whatever IPA they have a on tap and leave with a couple 6 packs of delta 8 wonder water.
EclipseAg
1:03p, 6/15/23
Southwest area news ... I was at Braman in Richmond a couple of weeks ago and learned that they stopped brewing beer around the first of the year.

They even changed their name from Braman Brewing and Winery to Braman Tasting and Taproom.

They still sell a limited number of craft beers but only those from other breweries.

Also, Sugar Land is getting a brand-new brewery adjacent to Constellation Field. Construction began last November.

https://talyardbrewing.com/

cajunaggie08
2:37p, 6/15/23
In reply to EclipseAg
Thats a bummer to hear that Braman stopped making their own beer. I kept meaning to stop by to try it. I figured it had to be better than the crap Fulbrook Ale Works is serving. I went there to see a friend's band play. The spot was ok but no one in our group liked any of the beers. We switched to drinking some of the guest taps. On the way home my wife wound up getting sick and throwing up. I dont know if it was from the beer or the food.

Great to hear a brewery is going in next to the ballpark. I work right down the road from there so I can see that being a frequent happy hour stop for me.
AlaskanAg99
4:00p, 6/15/23
In reply to EclipseAg
I wonder if they had a catastrophic failure of their brew house. They had a German system that incorporated a mash press. Something I'd never seen before. After the grain has converted all its starches to sugar via the mashing process. The whole batch was loaded into an accordion looking device that squeezed out the wort. It is the craziest thing I've ever seen. But it was made of some sort of material and it flexed. So it's possible they had a tear or rupture that couldn't be fixed or replaced.

aTm '99
EclipseAg
4:06p, 6/15/23
In reply to cajunaggie08
cajunaggie08 said:

Thats a bummer to hear that Braman stopped making their own beer. I kept meaning to stop by to try it.
The guy working the taps said they cleared out their brewing space to have more room for private events.

It's a much nicer place than Fulbrook. But I guess the beer side wasn't profitable.

From the architectural drawings, Talyard looks like it will be big and fairly upscale. We could use a brewery like that out here. Should do well being so close to the ballpark.
EclipseAg
4:08p, 6/15/23
In reply to AlaskanAg99
AlaskanAg99 said:

I wonder if they had a catastrophic failure of their brew house. They had a German system that incorporated a mash press. Something I'd never seen before. After the grain has converted all its starches to sugar via the mashing process. The whole batch was loaded into an accordion looking device that squeezed out the wort. It is the craziest thing I've ever seen. But it was made of some sort of material and it flexed. So it's possible they had a tear or rupture that couldn't be fixed or replaced.

Interesting. The guy I talked to clearly was uncomfortable discussing it so I just let it go. But you might be on to something.
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 46 of 49
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings