*** Official Houston Beer Thread ***
77,132 Views | 1699 Replies
K Bo
7:33a, 6/9/22
In reply to Tibbers
Tibbers said:

What do y'all think of equal parts brewery?
They have some very good beers. I wish they hadn't changed their name.
drumboy
10:42a, 6/9/22
In reply to AlaskanAg99
AlaskanAg99 said:

It's a brutal industry with a constantly changing legal landscape, fickle fans etc...

With grain prices about to spike I can't imagine the future of brewing. Let alone inflation and a possible recession.
Add in aluminum can costs/availability skyrocketing and ever-increasing competition from fake 'craft' (Karbach) brands owned for large foreign companies.

FYI Saint Arnold tap takeover today at Hughies and Ambers are $3 at the beer garden from 3-6 4-6 today. Wish I could make both.
Diggity
10:46a, 6/9/22
In reply to drumboy
drumboy said:

AlaskanAg99 said:

It's a brutal industry with a constantly changing legal landscape, fickle fans etc...

With grain prices about to spike I can't imagine the future of brewing. Let alone inflation and a possible recession.
Add in aluminum can costs/availability skyrocketing and ever-increasing competition from fake 'craft' (Karbach) brands owned for large foreign companies.

FYI Saint Arnold tap takeover today at Hughies and Ambers are $3 at the beer garden from 3-6 today. Wish I could make both.
hey...they're making some really authentic hard seltzers and ranch waters these days!
drumboy
10:58a, 6/9/22
In reply to Diggity
Diggity said:

drumboy said:

AlaskanAg99 said:

FYI Saint Arnold tap takeover today at Hughies and Ambers are $3 at the beer garden from 3-6 today. Wish I could make both.
hey...they're making some really authentic hard seltzers and ranch waters these days!
And repackaging zeigenbock as local sports themed beer.

I did see a pineapple rodeo clown tall boy at kroger I wanted to try but a 9% 19.2 oz beer is probably a little much for a roadie.
Texaggie7nine
11:06a, 6/9/22
In reply to jetch17
jetch17 said:

daddys gettin into the Karbach tonight....

7nine
jetch17
11:09a, 6/9/22
bluefire579
11:49a, 6/9/22
In reply to wessimo
wessimo said:

City Acre closing, Local Group, Holler, and others under new ownership, B-52 and an unidentified brewery up for sale. Seems like the glory days of the Houston Beer scene are over.

Chron: Another Houston brewery closes, others are going up for sale.
https://www.chron.com/food/article/more-houston-breweries-closing-for-sale-17228158.php
Yeah, City Acre announced it a few weeks ago on their Facebook page. Huge bummer. My wife and I had our reception there. Super nice piece of land in a not great part of town, beautiful old house that they renovated, always enjoyed their beer and food
bluefire579
11:50a, 6/9/22
In reply to Tibbers
Tibbers said:

What do y'all think of equal parts brewery?
They're fantastic. Much better to go now that they've expanded the taproom
wessimo
12:11p, 6/9/22
In reply to rschoelman
rschoelman said:

Happy Release Day!

K Bo
8:28p, 6/10/22
Tejas Chocolate @ Great Heights tonight
bluefire579
10:03p, 6/15/22
In reply to wessimo
wessimo said:

City Acre closing, Local Group, Holler, and others under new ownership, B-52 and an unidentified brewery up for sale. Seems like the glory days of the Houston Beer scene are over.

Chron: Another Houston brewery closes, others are going up for sale.
https://www.chron.com/food/article/more-houston-breweries-closing-for-sale-17228158.php
Word on /r/houstonbeer is that the mystery brewery for sale was Brash, it was bought by Equal Parts, and the former Brash head brewer who went to 8th Wonder is returning to run it.
wessimo
10:19p, 6/15/22
In reply to bluefire579
Interesting development.
jetch17
4:15p, 6/16/22
https://www.chron.com/food/article/brash-brewing-bought-by-owners-of-equal-parts-17245999.php
Texaggie7nine
4:23p, 6/16/22
Sooooo, the real question is, will the juke box have anything other than death metal now?
7nine
wessimo
6:40p, 6/16/22
In reply to Texaggie7nine
Also will be interesting to see if they continue with the black masses and similar antics.
bluefire579
6:43p, 6/16/22
In reply to Texaggie7nine
The guy running it now was one of the original founders, so can't imagine it'll change too much in that regard.
redag06
8:16p, 6/16/22
In reply to bluefire579
That house actually wasn't that old. Spoke with the owner once At an event before they officially opened and it was built in the 70's….the 1970's
jetch17
7:24a, 6/17/22
Nm
bluefire579
1:15p, 6/17/22
In reply to redag06
redag06 said:

That house actually wasn't that old. Spoke with the owner once At an event before they officially opened and it was built in the 70's….the 1970's
Didn't realize that. Definitely feels older than that. Really nice house either way.
jetch17
3:07p, 6/22/22
saw that an investor came in at the last minute and saved City Acre

Quote:

City Acre had a last minute investor swoop in similar to Bearded Fox. Jimmy Garrett, a local solar energy business owner couldn't let City Acre call it quits. "The heart and soul of City Acre isn't going anywhere."

https://www.beerchronicle.com/as-temps-rise-so-does-the-pressure-several-houston-breweries-closing-selling-and-changing-ownership-in-2022/?fbclid=IwAR0f143-5LPtDbCFqqMYJOuoMWIlmXM00PGIkG7cL-CowM_wbcB5i_Ap5n0
cajunaggie08
12:55p, 8/19/22
Wicked Boxer over in the Cypress/Copperfield area closed down

https://www.chron.com/food/article/houston-cypress-brewery-closes-17374000.php
bmc13
3:05p, 8/19/22
https://www.chron.com/food/article/brash-brewing-reopening-delay-houston-17384718.php

Brash reopening delayed...

Quote:

After the owners of Equal Parts Brewing bought Brash Brewing in mid-June, they were excited to start their own chapter of the cult-favorite brewery. About a month later came a curveball: The City of Houston said the taproom couldn't reopen because it had never been properly permitted in the first place.
Ags #1
4:13p, 8/20/22
In reply to jetch17
Is city acre good? I went about 3 years ago and food was good but beer was average. Has it gotten better
jetch17
1:19p, 8/21/22
In reply to Ags #1
Ags #1 said:

Is city acre good? I went about 3 years ago and food was good but beer was average. Has it gotten better

I literally haven't gone back since a pre-opening event in its first year - no idea
drumboy
9:52p, 8/21/22
In reply to Ags #1
Ags #1 said:

It's ok but if I'm driving up 59 for beer it'll be at Spindletap.
GoAgs92
10:08p, 8/21/22
Project Halo open in Fulshear. Looks tiny like Baa Baa Brewhouse

https://www.projecthalobrewing.com/
GoAgs92
7:44p, 8/27/22
Why do I get SA Octoberfest, it's way too malty…but I forget every damn year, and am disappoint every time.
TarponChaser
10:59p, 8/27/22
In reply to drumboy
drumboy said:

Ags #1 said:

Going way up 59, Back Pew is good. Went to a place called MegaTon pre-covid and it was decent. Haven't had a chance to get back there though.
GoAgs92
7:59p, 8/31/22
Last few beers I've gotten from SA were ok but Eureka Heights is kicking their butts.

Mini Boss
Buckle Bunny
Mostly Harmless

All better than SA I've had recently.

Maybe I'm picking wrong…give me a SA recommendation.
swimmerbabe11
10:44a, 9/1/22
Have any of you tried Frost Town yet?
redag06
10:55a, 9/1/22
In reply to TarponChaser
TarponChaser said:

drumboy said:

Ags #1 said:

Going way up 59, Back Pew is good. Went to a place called MegaTon pre-covid and it was decent. Haven't had a chance to get back there though.
Back Pew environment is great, especially for those with kids, but the beer is nothing I ever buy at the store or at a bar. Megaton is ok, but their AC sucks. In that area, DECA has the best.
BSD
10:57a, 9/1/22
In reply to jetch17
jetch17 said:

Ags #1 said:

I literally haven't gone back since a pre-opening event in its first year - no idea

I thought I was going to be stabbed as I walked up that day. And I think I saw a shoebill stork getting chased by some inked up pit bulls. Odd place for a brewery.
flipper94
11:14a, 9/1/22
DECA has some great beer. Haven't been to their place to try all of them but they are serving them in several restaurants now and have had some great ones.
drumboy
11:20a, 9/1/22
In reply to GoAgs92
GoAgs92 said:

Last few beers I've gotten from SA were ok but Eureka Heights is kicking their butts.

Mini Boss
Buckle Bunny
Mostly Harmless

Art Car
Double Down
H-Town Pils
Tarnation - Good and doesn't really taste 9%....will def session this weekend.
GoAgs92
6:41p, 9/1/22
In reply to drumboy
drumboy said:

GoAgs92 said:

Mini Boss
Buckle Bunny
Mostly Harmless

Art Car
Double Down
H-Town Pils
Tarnation - Good and doesn't really taste 9%....will def session this weekend.
I'll give them a shot, thanks.
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 45 of 49
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off