Torchys Tacos opening this Wednesday!
11,171 Views | 111 Replies
Finn Maccumhail
2:01p, 12/10/11
Just for future reference, does the best taco joint debate supersede the best burger joint debate?
BBRex
9:12p, 12/10/11
OK, I went. It's good. The parking sucks. A fair number of DBs and regular folks. Will do again.
Panama Red
1:21p, 6/15/12
Opening a new location at Harolds in Heights spot

Will that one also close in 6 months?
byfLuger41
10:13a, 12/15/13
quote:
^Torchy's is replacing it. Stay tuned in six months for what will be replacing Torchy's. The location is cursed. Absolute worst in Houston.

And for what it's worth, Greatful Taco was good if a little overpriced.

So Houston has three Torchy's now? Shocker.

And the Shepherd store is still alive after two years? Strange.
Finn Maccumhail
10:26a, 12/15/13
Well I finally tried the place after 2 years. I drive past it all the time but finally decided to try it. It's decent stuff but not nearly as good or with the selection of many other places and significantly more in cost.

I'll stick with the taquerias that have a sort of "stabby" feel to them where I can get real barbacoa or lengua.
byfLuger41
10:33a, 12/15/13
quote:
Well I finally tried the place after 2 years. I drive past it all the time but finally decided to try it. It's decent stuff but not nearly as good or with the selection of many other places and significantly more in cost.

I'll stick with the taquerias that have a sort of "stabby" feel to them where I can get real barbacoa or lengua.

A stabby feel, nice!
byfLuger41
10:34a, 12/15/13
Barbacoa at Torchy's is awesome! The Democrat is one of my favorite tacos.

[This message has been edited by Smith&Co1970 (edited 12/15/2013 10:52a).]
Scantron882
12:21p, 12/15/13
I haven't been to the Houston ones, but ate at an Austin location this summer. Taco's were ok but was most impressed with the Soda Fountain
Finn Maccumhail
12:48p, 12/15/13
Torch t's is like a hipster version of Chacho's sans the cholo clientele.
Head Ninja In Charge
12:10a, 12/16/13
quote:
quote:
^Torchy's is replacing it. Stay tuned in six months for what will be replacing Torchy's. The location is cursed. Absolute worst in Houston.

And for what it's worth, Greatful Taco was good if a little overpriced.

So Houston has three Torchy's now? Shocker.

And the Shepherd store is still alive after two years? Strange.

SMH.
88jrt06
9:48a, 12/16/13
Is the one in Rice Village packed all the time?

Do they have good (ie, non-sweet, strong) Margaritas?

Cyclone Anayas is opening 300 yards away btw...
byfLuger41
10:45a, 12/16/13
quote:
Is the one in Rice Village packed all the time?

Do they have good (ie, non-sweet, strong) Margaritas?

Cyclone Anayas is opening 300 yards away btw...

All three locations stay packed, but the Rice Village & Heights location's have easier parking. Parking at the Shepherd location is an abortion. Definitely not ideal for my F350.

If you want to drink, I'd go to the Heights location. They have a full wrap around bar with nice LED's. Their rita's are meh IMHO. I order them occasionally, but they are kinda too sweet for my blood. Never thought to ask for a floater though.

Cyclone's is for a completely different customer and that's where I would go for a rita. I got full retard the last time I went to Cyclone's.
Catch
11:07a, 12/16/13
I've only been to the one on Shepherd and was pretty underwhelmed. Nothing special IMO. I'll stick with Tacos-a-gogo, Chilosos, or one of the million other random taquerias in the Tine.
Prince Akeem
11:41a, 12/16/13
SmithCo, how much ownership percent do you have in the Houston locations. You've been whoring them out for a few years now. You may want to seek medical attention for that hard-on for Torchys. Its been over 4 hours. . .
byfLuger41
11:46a, 12/16/13
quote:
SmithCo, how much ownership percent do you have in the Houston locations. You've been whoring them out for a few years now. You may want to seek medical attention for that hard-on for Torchys. Its been over 4 hours. . .

0% braj! I will admit I do have a raging clue for Torchy's. Been snorting their tacos since ought 4.

Brought the thread back because I thought Head Ninjas post was comical in 2011, especially now since they just opened their 3rd location.
Finn Maccumhail
11:52a, 12/16/13
I'll reiterate and concur with Catch:
quote:
Catch
posted 11:07a, 12/16/13

I've only been to the one on Shepherd and was pretty underwhelmed. Nothing special IMO. I'll stick with Tacos-a-gogo, Chilosos, or one of the million other random taquerias in the Tine.

Catch
12:25p, 12/16/13
quote:
Brought the thread back because I thought Head Ninjas post was comical in 2011, especially now since they just opened their 3rd location.

Yeah, I remember when Krispy Kreme came to Houston. They opened a hell of a lot more than 3 of them and lasted more than a few years.

Basically, being open for 2 years and expanding doesn't really mean ****.
byfLuger41
12:27p, 12/16/13
quote:
Yeah, I remember when Krispy Kreme came to Houston. They opened a hell of a lot more than 3 of them and lasted more than a few years.

Basically, being open for 2 years and expanding doesn't really mean ****.

I'll bring it back again in 3 years, hopefully. Maybe they'll go public between now and then...
Catch
12:38p, 12/16/13
I really don't care either way, just saying that 2 years doesn't necessarily define success. I would actually still expect to see the Shepherd location to go away eventually. That spot is ****ing horrible and the rice location isn't too terribly far from there. The only way I'd go to the shepherd location is if I was walking distance from there. They should look at a spot in Midtown. That place is in dire need of more food joints.
byfLuger41
12:46p, 12/16/13
quote:
I really don't care either way, just saying that 2 years doesn't necessarily define success. I would actually still expect to see the Shepherd location to go away eventually. That spot is ****ing horrible and the rice location isn't too terribly far from there. The only way I'd go to the shepherd location is if I was walking distance from there. They should look at a spot in Midtown. That place is in dire need of more food joints.

Meh, kinda, but it certainly doesn't mean defeat either. They clearly have had enough success/demand to warrant two more locations, one of which (as you just stated), is a rocks throw away.

I'd like to see them open a location further OTL. A Woodlands &/or Katy store would crush it.
Diggity
1:05p, 12/16/13
they had planned to open one in Midtown at the new-ish McGowen shopping center with Potbelly and Starbucks. Not sure what happened there.
Finn Maccumhail
1:48p, 12/16/13
Anybody else find it somewhat ironic that the hipster stand-by for tacos is a relatively bland, pedestrian, chain restaurant?

I thought hipsters were anti-corpratists/chains? Maybe they only like Torchy's for the irony.
byfLuger41
2:01p, 12/16/13
quote:
Anybody else find it somewhat ironic that the hipster stand-by for tacos is a relatively bland, pedestrian, chain restaurant?

I thought hipsters were anti-corpratists/chains? Maybe they only like Torchy's for the irony.

Strange, last I checked Torchy's was a local Texas chain that started from the bottom now they here.
Head Ninja In Charge
2:13p, 12/16/13
Hipsters don't eat at Torchy's. It's just white folks, kids that go to Rice, and Instagram Asians.

Hipsters eat at that taco truck outside WAIH or Chapultepec.
byfLuger41
2:20p, 12/16/13
quote:
Hipsters don't eat at Torchy's. It's just white folks, kids that go to Rice, and Instagram Asians.

Hipsters eat at that taco truck outside WAIH or Chapultepec.

I'm a huge Cauc.
Finn Maccumhail
4:35p, 12/16/13
HNIC- what's WAIH?

And Chapultapec is good. Haven't been there in a while but when my little sister was at UH (00-04) we ate there frequently.
Head Ninja In Charge
4:51p, 12/16/13
West Alabama Ice House.
Seersucker Ag 2011
4:54p, 12/16/13
WAIH = West Alabama Ice House. Little taco truck called Tacos Tierras Caliente. Tied for best tacos in the city with Taco Keto IMO. Can't beat the prices either.
Finn Maccumhail
5:38p, 12/16/13
Thanks.

Haven't been there in forever.
dreyOO
9:10p, 12/16/13
not to pile on, but i finally tried this place. (Couldn't remember if it was supposed to be good or bad. )

I'm not saying it was "bad", but I won't be back. All about being trendy and very little about serving really tasty food. Tried 4 different tacos and each one was meh...the combinations didn't make any sense to me.

But apparently I saw a lot of cool people so there's that.
Bachelor99
9:28p, 12/16/13
How does it compare to fuzzys tacos in Dallas??
cone
6:44a, 12/17/13
can we give back all the torchy's and get one gourdough's instead?
Chewy
7:15a, 12/17/13
Put me in the camp that loves them some Torchys. I don't consider them to even be close to authentic Mexican tacos but they're delicious anyway. A bit pricey but they're tasty and their queso is the bomb.

As for comparison to Fuzzys they're pretty different. Fuzzys is more basic tacos and cheaper. I too love Fuzzys simply because back in the day I could get three tacos and a schooner of beer for $10.

The reality is they're all just different so I don't think you can compare them as equals. They're either tasty to you or they're not.
byfLuger41
9:03a, 12/17/13
quote:
Put me in the camp that loves them some Torchys. I don't consider them to even be close to authentic Mexican tacos but they're delicious anyway. A bit pricey but they're tasty and their queso is the bomb.

As for comparison to Fuzzys they're pretty different. Fuzzys is more basic tacos and cheaper. I too love Fuzzys simply because back in the day I could get three tacos and a schooner of beer for $10.

The reality is they're all just different so I don't think you can compare them as equals. They're either tasty to you or they're not.
wessimo
10:32a, 12/17/13
Just tried it recently. The brushfire (jerk chicken) was pretty damn tasty. They don't skimp on the meat.
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 3 of 4
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings