5:14p, 2/18/24
In reply to Ciboag96
BBQ in Texas is serious business
SlackerAg
10:19a, 2/19/24
BBQ pit thief got CorkScrewed.
Dr. Venkman
6:22p, 2/19/24
Shooting right in front of me on my way home. 9-10 gun shots 10 yards away in front of NRG stadium. One car wreck, another speeding away. Quite a surprise for an otherwise uneventful drive home.
TequilaMockingbird
6:26p, 2/19/24
In reply to Ciboag96
Ciboag96 said:

Speaking of firing squad.
Justified.
Jaydoug
11:07a, 2/20/24
Houston is about to get worse. Substantially worse.

Comandante Hidalgo will get off scot free. Crime will get even worse.

https://www.khou.com/article/news/politics/elections/harris-county-district-attorney-race-kim-ogg-sean-teare/285-af0f7d2b-ae72-461f-8b5b-9f28d7b7994d

Quote:

HOUSTON Harris County District Attorney Kim Ogg is fighting to keep her position, but a survey from the University of Houston Hobby School of Public Affairs reveals her primary opponent, Sean Teare, holds a substantial lead over the incumbent.

As early voting starts in the March 5 primary, the survey shows 59% of likely voters intend to vote for Teare and 21% for incumbent Ogg. Twenty percent of likely voters say they are still undecided.

Two months ago, the Harris County Democrats voted to formally admonish Ogg when her fellow party members accused Ogg of abusing her power to pursue vendettas against political opponents, among other concerns.
Both candidates answered questions at a forum hosted by the American Civil Liberties Union earlier this month.

Diggity
2:55p, 2/20/24
I never dreamed people would be pining over Ogg. She's a complete disaster.

The only thing I'm agreed with her about is going after Hidalgo...and she's accomplished nothing there.
YellAg2004
3:13p, 2/20/24
In reply to Diggity
Diggity said:

I never dreamed people would be pining over Ogg. She's a complete disaster.

The only thing I'm agreed with her about is going after Hidalgo...and she's accomplished nothing there.
The devil you know vs. the devil you don't. Let's be honest, a Republican isn't going to win, so if you're stuck with two bad choices, it's understandable to be hoping for the least bad choice. In this case, that's Ogg.
Diggity
3:35p, 2/20/24
In reply to YellAg2004
I can see people being hesitant towards Sean, but I do think part of it is just his campaign pandering to the democratic machine.

Nothing I know about the guy leads me to believe he's going to be soft on crime or ultra left.

Ogg has been a complete failure.
YellAg2004
3:45p, 2/20/24
In reply to Diggity
He's literally being backed by Hidalgo because her corruption was so blatant and obvious that even Ogg couldn't look the other way. The key PAC supporting him is funded directly from Soros. Seeing as Ogg was a Soros DA who has fallen out of favor for not staying in lockstep with the machine, you think he won't fully understand what the expectations are for him if he wishes to stay in office?

Is it your belief that you think he's running ultra left to try and pull a fast one on the dems and swerve back to the middle after he's elected?

Hell, I would set the O/U at 29.5 days after he's in office that the press conference is held to close the investigation into Hidalgo and her minions.
CDUB98
3:48p, 2/20/24
In reply to YellAg2004
I'll take the under.
Diggity
3:54p, 2/20/24
In reply to YellAg2004
I too was hoping Ogg could do something about Hidalgo.

Let's face it, if something was going to happen, it would have by now.

I do know Ogg's track record...and it's terrible.
drumboy
3:59p, 2/20/24
In reply to Ciboag96
Ciboag96 said:

Summerhood (adjacent)
[url=https://ts.la/erik936611]https://ts.la/erik936611[/url]
Use my referral link to buy a Tesla and get awards like 3 months of Full Self-Driving Capability.

Schedule a Tesla Demo Drive using my referral link.
YellAg2004
4:39p, 2/20/24
In reply to Diggity
I do agree with you that if something was going to happen, it likely would have by now. With Ogg there, I'll hold a glimmer of hope that something still could. If she goes, it will all be memory-holed and Lina will bloviate in CC about how "the people have spoken" and other such BS.

[derail]I'm honestly at the point where I'm just resigning myself to the hope that when its some of these people's time to stand before the pearly gates, that justice will ultimately be served. Anything else just gets my hopes up to be let down again.[/derail]
CDUB98
7:42a, 2/21/24
Dumbass Ben Crump strikes again.

Quote:

"They come up with things to profile us for," Crump said in the special. "I believe this with everything in my heart we can get rid of all the crime in America overnight, just like that, and people ask, 'How, Attorney Crump?'

"Change the definition of 'crime,'" he continued. "If you get to define what conduct is going to be made criminal, you can predict who the criminals are going to be. … They made the laws to criminalize our culture, Black culture."

https://www.foxnews.com/media/ben-crump-says-ending-crime-us-easy-changing-definition-crime-dr-swain-says-thats-ludicrous
maroon barchetta
9:10a, 2/21/24
In reply to CDUB98
Good grief.
The Wonderer
11:50a, 2/21/24
In reply to CDUB98
CDUB98 said:

Quote:

"They come up with things to profile us for," Crump said in the special. "I believe this with everything in my heart we can get rid of all the crime in America overnight, just like that, and people ask, 'How, Attorney Crump?'

"Change the definition of 'crime,'" he continued. "If you get to define what conduct is going to be made criminal, you can predict who the criminals are going to be. … They made the laws to criminalize our culture, Black culture."

https://www.foxnews.com/media/ben-crump-says-ending-crime-us-easy-changing-definition-crime-dr-swain-says-thats-ludicrous
I'll concede certain drug offenses were angled for that back in the day, but you aren't going to win that argument with respect to violent crimes. Unless you're saying violent crime is your culture.
txags92
12:00p, 2/21/24
In reply to The Wonderer
The Wonderer said:

CDUB98 said:

Quote:

I'll concede certain drug offenses were angled for that back in the day, but you aren't going to win that argument with respect to violent crimes. Unless you're saying violent crime is your culture.
Yeah, the differences between cocaine and crack sentencing had a differential impact racially. Whether or not that was the intent is debatable, but the effect was it definitely hit blacks harder than whites. But if you are talking about theft, rape, assault, murder, etc. he probably ought to rethink claiming those as part of a culture, even if he is probably accurate.
TarponChaser
12:02p, 2/21/24
In reply to txags92
txags92 said:

The Wonderer said:

CDUB98 said:

Quote:

Yeah, the differences between cocaine and crack sentencing had a differential impact racially. Whether or not that was the intent is debatable, but the effect was it definitely hit blacks harder than whites. But if you are talking about theft, rape, assault, murder, etc. he probably ought to rethink claiming those as part of a culture, even if he is probably accurate.
But the thing that always seems to be left unsaid today is that probably the biggest single reason for the criminal sentencing guidelines for crack passed under Clinton were because a huge coalition of black churches and clergy pushed for it and supported it due to the epidemic of drugs & violence in their communities caused by crack.
txags92
1:46p, 2/21/24
In reply to TarponChaser
TarponChaser said:

txags92 said:

The Wonderer said:

CDUB98 said:

Quote:

But the thing that always seems to be left unsaid today is that probably the biggest single reason for the criminal sentencing guidelines for crack passed under Clinton were because a huge coalition of black churches and clergy pushed for it and supported it due to the epidemic of drugs & violence in their communities caused by crack.
That is why I said the intent was debatable. The activists and critical race theory types will tell you that the differences in sentencing were purely racism. That legislators writing laws, prosecutors trying cases, and judges hearing them wanted to put more black men in prison, and knew that crack was a "black drug" and cocaine was a "white drug". But as you pointed out, the differences in sentencing were requested by black community leaders to try to get crack out of their communities and to keep it out for a long time. The ultimate result was that yes, a lot of black men got locked up. But whether that is because they were black, or simply because they were selling a drug that impacted black communities is subject to differing opinions based on your perspective. You and I would agree on the why, but there is a widespread popular opinion agreeing with the activist types too.
Texaggie7nine
10:54a, 2/24/24
Antique shop near us put up a sign "No kilts allowed"
7nine
Ciboag96
10:15p, 2/26/24
Stupid ****ing cynts at HPD just closing out cases at will. "cRiMe Is GoInG dOwN!"

CDUB98
7:20a, 2/27/24
In reply to Ciboag96
But Dems will call you a nutjob if you don't believe the numbers.
scd88
7:37a, 2/27/24
In reply to CDUB98
CDUB98 said:

Quote:

Sweet. Legalize murder and assault and, viola, the crime rate plummets. Good attorney-speak there, sir.
The Wonderer
9:23a, 2/27/24
In reply to scd88
scd88 said:

CDUB98 said:

Quote:

Sweet. Legalize murder and assault and, viola, the crime rate plummets. Good attorney-speak there, sir.
BBRex
12:25p, 2/27/24
In reply to Ciboag96
Ciboag96 said:

Looks like that guy got ... smoked.
maroon barchetta
12:43p, 2/27/24
In reply to BBRex
HtownAg92
1:02p, 2/27/24
Fantastic. Needed that laugh guys.
maroon barchetta
10:03p, 2/29/24
Panhandler smashes windows and windshields with pipe at intersection.

Some employee of the judicial system lets him out on a PR bond.

Same employee that let a habitual shoplifter off with dismissed charges four years ago.

https://abc13.com/david-mann-out-of-jail-without-paying-bond-midtown-drivers-attacked-man-accused-smashing-vehicles-damaged-by-crowbar/14481132/
Ciboag96
11:12p, 2/29/24
Home skillet comes at me swinging a pipe, I'm pumping the metric system into his dumb ass
txags92
11:52p, 2/29/24
In reply to Ciboag96
Ciboag96 said:

Home skillet comes at me swinging a pipe, I'm pumping the metric system into his dumb ass
Yeah, I am thinking anybody who starts swinging a pipe at my windows is getting perforated for pickup by EMS. You have no idea if he is smashing the window to be a vandal or if he is going to try to hit you with the next swing. No point in waiting to find out unless you are in Austin. Then you are apparently supposed to give them a few free shots at you before a jury might agree that you might have a reason to fear for your own life and/or health.
sts7049
1:00a, 3/1/24
that judge is one of the absolute worst.

and the guy was an immediate no show at his next court appearance
texagbeliever
6:50a, 3/1/24
In reply to sts7049
sts7049 said:

that judge is one of the absolute worst.

and the guy was an immediate no show at his next court appearance
How is this allowable? Seriously.

1. Guy is homeless so not like being in jail is going to mess up his day job.
2. Individual resisted arrest
3. Crow bar to car windshields which could easily harm the inhabitant and could lead to behavior that harms someone else (fleeing the mad man)
4. I would bet he picked on women to target
maroon barchetta
7:10a, 3/1/24
It's strange how silent the usual lefty defenders are on this particular thread.
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 10 of 24
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings