****CITY UNDER SIEGE - 2024****
90,122 Views | 817 Replies
Carmine Scarpacio
4:11p, 5/6/24
In reply to MAS444
MAS444 said:

The victim was a good guy from a good family. His sister was a good friend from A&M. Gotta be careful out there.

https://www.click2houston.com/news/local/2024/05/05/man-shot-after-dispute-with-angry-mcdonalds-customer/
Very sad. I knew Jeff well. Really good guy.
John Armfield
5:10p, 5/6/24
man that sucks, never argue with a certain demographic especially over french fries
jswags
8:09p, 5/6/24
In reply to Carmine Scarpacio
I've known Jeff and his family my whole life. This one really hurts.

It goes against how a lot of us were brought up but sometimes the best thing to do is walk away and do your duty by calling the police. There's too many unhinged people out there.
TX04Aggie
8:31p, 5/6/24
Sitting at hughies on patio today at lunch and saw a gmc AT4 go flying west on 18th followed by a dozen constables in pursuit. Assuming stolen since thieves love those bro dozers
Coog97
8:39p, 5/6/24
In reply to MAS444
MAS444 said:

The victim was a good guy from a good family. His sister was a good friend from A&M. Gotta be careful out there.

https://www.click2houston.com/news/local/2024/05/05/man-shot-after-dispute-with-angry-mcdonalds-customer/

The locator is "outside the McDonald's on Katy Freeway near I-10 West."

If you think the local media have even the slightest clue what they are doing…
“Things weren’t gentle and politically correct in those days. We weren’t candy asses. Okay?”
-Frank Borman

“Who are you to doubt El Dandy? ‘Cause this guy’s a serious professional.”
-Bret Hart
Carmine Scarpacio
8:11a, 5/7/24
In reply to jswags
jswags said:

I've known Jeff and his family my whole life. This one really hurts.

It goes against how a lot of us were brought up but sometimes the best thing to do is walk away and do your duty by calling the police. There's too many unhinged people out there.
My wife went to law school with him and dated him briefly but remained friends after. I always liked him. We would see him at concerts all the time with usually the same crew of people (good folks).

This really sucks. I am glad to see that he really seemed to have his life squared away the last 5-10 years. Not that he was ever bad or anything -- but early in his career he seemed to be drifting a bit. He had settled down with a good law firm he had been with for 5+ years and was in, from what I understand, a very good place spiritually.

It won't bring him back, but I sure hope they catch the perp and his family gets some measure of justice. Here is a new article on the incident.

https://www.fox26houston.com/news/houston-attorney-killed-intervening-in-mcdonalds-dispute.amp
MAS444
8:31a, 5/7/24
Yeah again, I mainly knew his older sister (but haven't seen her in years). But I'd run into him at shows way back when he was in law school. Didn't know him well - but he seemed like a fun loving guy. He was sure livin it back then. I hadn't run into him since he was with his new firm - but know people who have and had nothing but good to say about him.

Sure hope they catch the murderer too.
CheeseSndwch
8:38a, 5/7/24
In reply to Coog97
I don't mean to make light of this story but it is reminds me of how Chris Chambers died in Stand By Me.

"Chris did get out. He enrolled in the college courses with me, and although it was hard, he gutted it out like he always did. He went on to college and eventually became a lawyer. Last week, he entered a fast food restaurant. Just ahead of him, two men got into an argument; one of them pulled a knife. Chris, who'd always made the best peace, tried to break it up. He was stabbed in the throat. He died almost instantly."
jrrhouston98
10:20a, 5/7/24
https://www.click2houston.com/news/local/2024/05/07/hunt-underway-for-man-who-killed-girlfriend-shot-officers-and-took-cop-car-for-joyride-in-houston-museum-district/
Carmine Scarpacio
10:22a, 5/7/24
In reply to CheeseSndwch
CheeseSndwch said:

I don't mean to make light of this story but it is reminds me of how Chris Chambers died in Stand By Me.

"Chris did get out. He enrolled in the college courses with me, and although it was hard, he gutted it out like he always did. He went on to college and eventually became a lawyer. Last week, he entered a fast food restaurant. Just ahead of him, two men got into an argument; one of them pulled a knife. Chris, who'd always made the best peace, tried to break it up. He was stabbed in the throat. He died almost instantly."
I thought the same thing immediately.
Ferris Wheel Allstar
10:45a, 5/7/24
These are the license plate readers. Not just in cloverleaf, saw some in west U as well.
RK
10:48a, 5/7/24
West u has been rocking the virtual gate for a while. They are always busting fools creeping in the wee hours.
maroon barchetta
6:09p, 5/7/24
Remember the full auto shooting of the Dominicans in the Gulfgate area?

Arrests have been made.

https://abc13.com/houston-wayside-drive-shooting-gulfgate-crime-luis-alfredo-pacheco-dominican-officials-son-killed/14779336/
Diggity
7:53p, 5/7/24
In reply to maroon barchetta
"The three suspects, 50-year-old Hernan Torres, Sr., 25-year-old Hernan Torres, Jr. and 19-year-old Hernando Torres are all charged with murder."

Some good family bonding here
Irish 2.0
8:12p, 5/7/24
In reply to Diggity
Diggity said:

"The three suspects, 50-year-old Hernan Torres, Sr., 25-year-old Hernan Torres, Jr. and 19-year-old Hernando Torres are all charged with murder."

Some good family bonding here

Lead candidate for Father of the Year!
maroon barchetta
9:02p, 5/7/24
In reply to Irish 2.0
Really creative naming of the kids.
W
9:07p, 5/7/24
sounds like a contract killing
atmtws
10:36p, 5/7/24
ABC 13: Houston Mayor announces Troy Finner's "retirement"....

https://abc13.com/post/houston-police-troy-finner-terminated-sl-suspension-code-hpd-lack-of-personnel/14781446/

https://abc13.com/post/houston-police-troy-finner-terminated-sl-suspension-code-hpd-lack-of-personnel/14781446/
W
10:51p, 5/7/24
Whitmire is cleaning house everywhere
Kenneth_2003
7:06a, 5/8/24
When did Fenner actually know about the code?

Quote:

In February, Finner said 260,000 incident reports were suspended due to lack of personnel since 2016. Since then, he has maintained that he first learned the "suspended" code was created in 2016 and that it was used in two previous administrations before he was named chief in April 2021.

"November 2021 was the first time I was made aware of this code in a briefing by the Special Victims Division. At that time, I told them the code was unacceptable and never use it again," Finner said during a March 7 press conference.
Quote:

The July 20, 2018, email was addressed to several high ranking HPD leaders, including then Chief Art Acevedo, as well as Finner, who was an executive assistant chief back then.

The email mentions a specific road rage case that was marked as "Suspended-Lack of Personnel".
It details that the case was labeled that way, even though a witness ID'ed a suspect.

Finner responds to the email saying, "this is unacceptable, look into it and follow up with me."
The email does not flag issues with the suspended code or address how often it is being used.
But, it has raised questions about Finner's timeline on when he first heard about the code.

Seems he might know more about the code than he's been letting on. If he knew about it in 2018 then that's 3 full years before he was named Chief...
Sea Speed
7:28a, 5/8/24
Do these 260000 incidents make it in to crime stats? If not, helps explains the governments massaging of the stats to claim crime is low, which is am obvious lie.
Ciboag96
8:03a, 5/8/24
In reply to Sea Speed
Sea Speed said:

Do these 260000 incidents make it in to crime stats? If not, helps explains the governments massaging of the stats to claim crime is low, which is am obvious lie.

Take a wild ass guess
txags92
8:11a, 5/8/24
In reply to Ciboag96
Ciboag96 said:

Sea Speed said:

Take a wild ass guess
If I were in leadership in other places Acevedo worked…like Austin…where crime stats say crime is going down, but public perception is that it is getting worse, I would be looking real hard at the police database right now to make sure that something similar hasn't been going on. I doubt this started in and/or stayed unique to Houston.
Furlock Bones
8:48a, 5/8/24
In reply to txags92
I do not understand how Acevedo continues to fleece governments into hiring him.
Furlock Bones
8:50a, 5/8/24
In reply to Kenneth_2003
I have to see more than 1 single email from 2018. Did he even see it himself or did his assistant read it and gave him the gist briefly that he wasn't even paying attention.

It's likely he knows more. But this whole gotcha stuff from singular emails doesn't carry much weight with me anymore
Sea Speed
9:05a, 5/8/24
In reply to Ciboag96
Ciboag96 said:

Sea Speed said:

Take a wild ass guess

I was being somewhat facetious. Hell, Harris County amd Houston may not even be reporting any crime stats to the fbi since the reporting requirements changed. I'm honestly unsure if they even do.
txags92
9:07a, 5/8/24
In reply to Furlock Bones
Furlock Bones said:

I have to see more than 1 single email from 2018. Did he even see it himself or did his assistant read it and gave him the gist briefly that he wasn't even paying attention.

It's likely he knows more. But this whole gotcha stuff from singular emails doesn't carry much weight with me anymore
Well he reportedly asked them to look into it and follow-up with him because they had a witness IDing a suspect. His objection at the time didn't seem to be asking "what is that code and why are we using it". So the logical conclusion was that he was aware of the code and how it was being used and was only objecting to it being used in that particular situation.
Furlock Bones
9:34a, 5/8/24
In reply to txags92
i said, he probably knew more. but, again, 1 single email doesn't mean guilty to me. Did they get back to him? Or did no one follow up and he forgot about it? We have no idea.
VP at Pierce and Pierce
9:45a, 5/8/24
Furlock Bones said:

I do not understand how Acevedo continues to fleece governments into hiring him.
You must not work in corporate America where one failed midget brained CEO goes form shop to shop running them into the ground collecting 7 figs. He uses buzz words, collects dirt, and networks.
Furlock Bones
9:50a, 5/8/24
In reply to VP at Pierce and Pierce
VP at Pierce and Pierce said:

Furlock Bones said:

You must not work in corporate America where one failed midget brained CEO goes form shop to shop running them into the ground collecting 7 figs. He uses buzz words, collects dirt, and networks.
true. plus everyone hires consultants to hire coaches, C-suite execs, and public sector leaders. that way everyone can hide behind their "due diligence" done by so and so consulting team. "we had no idea Art Acevedo would be crap after already having been crap at every prior stop." McKinsey told us he was perfect!
Irish 2.0
9:52a, 5/8/24
In reply to VP at Pierce and Pierce
Believe the term is "Promoted out of the way"
Issac_franklin
9:53a, 5/8/24
Angry driver hits victim's car, threatens him with gun, video shows (youtube.com)

the usual suspects
Carmine Scarpacio
9:54a, 5/8/24
In reply to MAS444
MAS444 said:

Yeah again, I mainly knew his older sister (but haven't seen her in years). But I'd run into him at shows way back when he was in law school. Didn't know him well - but he seemed like a fun loving guy. He was sure livin it back then. I hadn't run into him since he was with his new firm - but know people who have and had nothing but good to say about him.

Sure hope they catch the murderer too.
I have heard the suspect is a black male. And the cops know who he is, so it is just a matter of time.

Either they did not release his description to be PC. Or they did not need to because they knew who the perp was already. I am suspecting the latter. He probably paid with a card and they had all his information.

I am sickened over this senseless killing of a good Samaritan. Jeff was a gentle and kind guy who would hurt no one.
txags92
9:55a, 5/8/24
Furlock Bones said:

i said, he probably knew more. but, again, 1 single email doesn't mean guilty to me. Did they get back to him? Or did no one follow up and he forgot about it? We have no idea.
I think it is incredibly naive to think that there could be a quarter million crime reports lodged under a single code in their system and anybody in the senior management team could be unaware of it. The leadership of any major police force in America is all about tracking stats. So there is no way somebody underneath him came up with this code and it spread throughout the department and got used to classify 250,000 crimes and he and the rest of the leadership around him didn't know. If it happened that way and he didn't know, that is just about as bad that he could be that oblivious to what is going on under his watch.
MAS444
9:59a, 5/8/24
That's good to know - thanks for the update. Such a senseless tragic deal.
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 22 of 24
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings