*****2024 Hurricane Off-Season*****
197,793 Views | 1743 Replies
Jugstore Cowboy
8:35p, 1/15/24
In reply to Breggy Popup
Bregxit said:

DustysLineup said:

Yes. We don't have Federal Highway Police.
I think you misunderstand my question. The announcement makes it sound like the city is deciding to shut it down. I thought that call had to be made by TXDOT or USDOT.

I understand the city could enforce it. Though I would think DPS would provide most of the units to close a highway.
Locals can restrict access in an emergency, and have far more units on the ground than DPS. I'm sure they coordinate w/ TXDOT district office. I believe there is a reason Harris County OEM is down the street from the TXDOT Houston office, for instance.
aggiedata
9:42p, 1/15/24
What a mess

aggiedata
10:11p, 1/15/24
IAH

12th Man Ag
10:26p, 1/15/24
In reply to aggiedata
People are stupid. What good does that do?
Ag_07
11:18p, 1/15/24
In reply to 12th Man Ag
12th Man Ag said:

People are stupid. What good does that do?

Horns are just screams of the driver manifesting in a volume everyone can hear.

What's the point of screaming in an argument? None...But it makes you feel good when you're pissed off.
Dill-Ag13
6:27a, 1/16/24
Never sleep well when it's this cold. Feel like I have to monitor the house. Buying some freeze misers for next time
TXTransplant
6:56a, 1/16/24
In reply to Dill-Ag13
One of my worst nights of sleep was during the 2021 freeze. My lot backs up to the main road that runs though our subdivision. It was so quiet that all I could hear all night was cars sliding around on the ice. I was terrified one was going to plow through my fence and come crashing into the living room (where I was sleeping because the that's where the fireplace is).
htxag09
7:33a, 1/16/24
Lost power last night from 1-5ish. Came on but back off around 6:45.

New (to us) house, lots of creaking at night, especially when it's below 60 in the house.
98Ag99Grad
7:43a, 1/16/24
Drove from memorial park area to the woodlands yesterday around 2:30 since we were open. That was not fun. Fortunately offie closed today. Wife was supposed to fly to San Diego for work yesterday but flight was canceled. She spent the night at a Ramada near the Airport in hopes her 2pm flight today is a go. Fun times.
Charlie Murphy
7:55a, 1/16/24
Supposed to be taking someone to Hobby this afternoon from Sugarland. How bad is that going to suck?
jh0400
8:02a, 1/16/24
Drive from Westbury to the Galleria area was a breeze this morning. A little ice on the connector from South Post Oak to 610 but then smooth sailing.
P.H. Dexippus
8:10a, 1/16/24
Queen Donut in Timbergrove open, road clear.
Jugstore Cowboy
8:10a, 1/16/24
In reply to P.H. Dexippus
Warm it up?!?
gougler08
8:14a, 1/16/24
Transtar map looks a lot better today and the sun should help melt more ice as we go along
htxag09
8:15a, 1/16/24
In reply to gougler08
gougler08 said:

Transtar map looks a lot better today and the sun should help melt more ice as we go along
I also assume less people on the roads is helping this morning. But, yeah, with how sunny it already is I don't think road travel will be much of an issue shortly.
Milwaukees Best Light
8:19a, 1/16/24
In reply to htxag09
htxag09 said:

New (to us) house, lots of creaking at night, especially when it's below 60 in the house.

I moved into my current house the day of the big freeze in 21. I know what you mean. Thankfully we got it all done before it started snowing, but damn if it wasn't a long night.
Jackal99
8:43a, 1/16/24
In reply to Jugstore Cowboy
DustysLineup said:

Warm it up?!?
Great. Now I feel the need to walk to Best.
htxag09
8:43a, 1/16/24
Also, lol at recycling using a freeze today to just suspend all pickups this week, even though it'll be 65 Thursday.

We haven't had recycling picked up in well over a month now.
CDUB98
8:45a, 1/16/24
In reply to htxag09
htxag09 said:

Funny, our power went out right around 0645 this morning. You're welcome for the electricity.
Jackal99
8:46a, 1/16/24
In reply to htxag09
htxag09 said:

Also, lol at recycling using a freeze today to just suspend all pickups this week, even though it'll be 65 Thursday.

Yep. They missed our regular day two weeks ago, and our entire hood has had their green cans out since then. So now it won't get picked up on our normal day this week. Which means two more weeks. Which means at least 6 weeks when it finally does. Mine's been full for a while, I've just been tossing recycling stuff in the regular trash.
htxag09
8:47a, 1/16/24
In reply to CDUB98
CDUB98 said:

htxag09 said:

Funny, our power went out right around 0645 this morning. You're welcome for the electricity.

Sorry, may have worded that poorly. We lost power at 6:45 also. We were without power from 1-5, had power from 5-6:45, lost it at 6:45, then came back on around 7:40.
Cromagnum
8:52a, 1/16/24
In reply to htxag09
htxag09 said:

Recycling is just "fancy trash" anyways. They just put it a pile next to the rest of the rubbish.
CDUB98
8:52a, 1/16/24
In reply to htxag09
Our power came back on around 0715, thankfully.
htxag09
8:55a, 1/16/24
In reply to Cromagnum
Cromagnum said:

htxag09 said:

Recycling is just "fancy trash" anyways. They just put it a pile next to the rest of the rubbish.

Sure, but when our city can only arrange pickup of trash once a week it's nice to have another bin to throw cardboard boxes and what not into. Don't really care about the recycling portion of it. But it's been full for weeks. So I'll fill up trash with boxes when I can, but still adding up in the garage (Christmas and moving to a new house means lots of boxes).
Ag_07
8:57a, 1/16/24
Recycling is a scam. It's too expensive for municipalities and a lot of it just ends up in a landfill with the regular trash anyways. It's just collected in a green bin just to make you feel better.

You're wasting your time rinsing out all those plastic bottles and aluminum cans.
CDUB98
9:03a, 1/16/24
In reply to Ag_07
Quote:

You're wasting your time rinsing out all those plastic bottles and aluminum cans.
Rinsing is no longer required. The new recycling plants coming online do a sort and wash.

Recycling is sort of a scam. You're right that a lot of it has just ended up in landfills, but there are several mechanical and chemical recycling plants under design and getting funding. As more come online, the offtake market grows and more of it is actually recycled.
Milwaukees Best Light
9:18a, 1/16/24
In reply to Ag_07
Ag_07 said:

Recycling is a scam. It's too expensive for municipalities and a lot of it just ends up in a landfill with the regular trash anyways. It's just collected in a green bin just to make you feel better.

Last number I saw was right at 90 percent of it goes to the landfill.
Charlie Murphy
9:19a, 1/16/24
Don't understand why 59 is still closed. Is it that hard to get a highway back open?
CDUB98
9:24a, 1/16/24
In reply to Charlie Murphy
Charlie Murphy said:

Don't understand why 59 is still closed. Is it that hard to get a highway back open?
BUT IF IT SAVES JUST ONE LIFE!!
Aggiemike96
9:32a, 1/16/24
In reply to Charlie Murphy
Charlie Murphy said:

Supposed to be taking someone to Hobby this afternoon from Sugarland. How bad is that going to suck?

Zero issues from the Galleria area to Hobby at 7 AM today. Now, Southwest, different story. Plane changes, waiting on crew, etc. all creating delays.
CDUB98
9:35a, 1/16/24
Obviously cannot speak for the rest of the Metro area, but my driveway and street in Oak Forest are completely dry.
Captain Winky
10:04a, 1/16/24
Using closed daycare as an excuse to postpone a meeting at 4 today with a giant pain in the ass. Does this make me a fat Karen?
jetch17
10:08a, 1/16/24
Meetings at 4 are already a pain in the ass.
Jackal99
10:12a, 1/16/24
In reply to Captain Winky
Captain Winky said:

Using closed daycare as an excuse to postpone a meeting at 4 today with a giant pain in the ass. Does this make me a fat Karen?
Depends. Are you fat?
maroon barchetta
10:12a, 1/16/24
In reply to Captain Winky
are you fat?
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 10 of 50
Verify your student status Register