Houston
Sponsored by

*****2024 Hurricane Off-Season*****

100,793 Views | 871 Replies | Last: 21 hrs ago by Cromagnum
Cromagnum
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
May as well make this thread too. Crazy storms this morning and looks like Monday Jan 8th may get feisty again. Bigtime cold now being discussed for 2nd half of January.

As far as the upcoming Hurricane season. KPRC is already hyping the hell out of it (literally).

https://www.click2houston.com/weather/2024/01/04/hurricane-season-from-hell-forecast-for-houston/
maroon barchetta
How big time cold are we talking?
Serious Lee
my windows looked like strobe lights around 6 am. constant lightning
Cromagnum
AG
maroon barchetta said:

How big time cold are we talking?

Got about 10 days before they know for sure if it's coming, but potentially 2021 freeze type cold.
FHKChE07
AG
Early forecasts for the NW show -50, but that is still reallllllly far out. It won't get nearly that cold here but the cold front is coming. Just need to see what it will really look like.
evestor1
Until the local nurseries put up tents and tarps...i dont worry about it.

that said - bring the effing cold. freeze it down!
Sea Speed
AG
evestor1 said:

Until the local nurseries put up tents and tarps...i dont worry about it.

that said - bring the effing cold. freeze it down!

You can go to hell
maroon barchetta
SockDePot
We're going to Whistler in a week, they're showing the high when we're there -3 and low -18…great skiing weather…
sts7049
AG
wessimo
AG
So this is the icepocalypse thread?

Time to make sure your generator is ready.
redag06
SockDePot said:

We're going to Whistler in a week, they're showing the high when we're there -3 and low -18…great skiing weather…
Attempted to ski there once when temps were -36, they had to close the lifts.
Cromagnum
AG
Apparently start of icepocalypse around the 17th.

Kenneth_2003
AG
Meh... Apparently we gotta survive the tornados tomorrow first.
Sea Speed
AG
Its a long way out, but it appears to be warming significantly during the daytime.
Cromagnum
AG
Bumped up to an enhanced risk today, though the majority of the really bad stuff is expected to be east of Houston. We'll see what happens this afternoon.

Sea Speed
AG
I knew I should have patched the roof to my ole chicken coop project yesterday
Cromagnum
AG
Facts

Quote:

If you are new to Texas, we are about to experience "Texas Winter". This is 6 or 7 days of cold, maybe some ice and snow. Pete Delkus will threaten snow. It may snow, it may not and if Pete says 2 inches it could be 10 or it could be 1/2". It doesn't matter how much snow it is, we'll all freak out because we don't see snow often.
The threat of snow (or ice) from good ol' Pete is your prompt to head to the grocery store and buy milk, eggs and bread. It doesn't matter if you need these items. It's just what we do. Everyone in town will be there.

You'll also need to make a mad dash for faucet covers and finding them and getting out of the store will be like an episode of the hunger games. You're in the redneck district.

Don't look for a sled. You won't find one. In the rare chance we get enough ice or snow to sled grab some cardboard or a trash can lid and go find the nearest hill. Yes, we know it's not a hill. You live in the flatland, just go with it. You'll be alarmed by the fact that you're "sledding" towards a bar ditch, fence or maybe into a farm to market road.

Just go with it.
You'll be fine.

We don't have equipment to handle the winter and weather. The roads will be a mess and even though the state has been telling you for a week they're ready, they're not and it won't work. Just stay home if you can and if you can't just come to terms with the fact that nobody here knows how to drive in snow and ice.

Whatever you do, DO NOT talk about snow tires.

If you happen to slide off the road or get stuck, turn your flashers on, take a deep breath and wait. Two guys in a four wheel drive truck will be along in no time to offer assistance. Don't try to help them, they live for this stuff, and will do what they can to get you back on the road. If either one of them screams "hey y'all watch this" just get back and get your phone out and start recording, you'll probably have a viral video.

Also of note, when they offer you beer and deer sticks, don't be rude, take them and smile.

No matter what you do, don't talk about how they did it back home in any of these scenarios.

Nobody cares.

You live in Texas now.

Texans know they live in the greatest state in the country and it's our way or the highway.

When we act like we're going to die and start to complain about the 7 days of winter just shut up, we're serious and we don't care how much you love it.

We don't.

You'll be back in shorts and flip flops in a week to ten days and it'll be nice until right around Easter.

Texas "second winter" will be 2 or 3 days and will hit right around Easter, usually the week before or the week after. This will hit right around the time you plant flowers and a garden.

We know you're not from around here when we see you've planted flowers before Easter and before the "second winter" has hit.

This is why all the people at the nursery don't sound like us when you're shopping for plants.

We know better.

During second winter it'll go from 70 to 25 and you'll experience all four seasons in one day.

This too shall pass, get used to it and when second winter is over you can enjoy the 3-4 weeks of "spring" before summer gets here and it'll be melt your face off hot until sometime around Halloween.

Cromagnum
AG
Might get spicy before long.

Sea Speed
AG
Pur school is letting kids out 30 minutes early. Welcome back from break!
Breggy Popup
AG
Two tornado warnings just NE of MoCo.
Ryan the Temp
AG
Power just went out and something was heard exploding in the Heights. Probably just a transformer, though.
AJ02
AG
Lost power an hour ago in Spring. Of course.
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
I think the power going off and on caused a minor stroke; I started to make a reference to HL&P replacing the transformer.
Ag_07
AG
Nothin says welcome to Houston to all the Washington and Michigan fans like severe weather, power outages, and downpours at rush hour.
Cromagnum
AG
Ag_07 said:

Nothin says welcome to Houston to all the Washington and Michigan fans like severe weather, power outages, and downpours at rush hour.

Those are nice several thousand dollar tickets you have there. Would be a shame if severe storms shut down the city so you can't get to the game on time...
wessimo
AG
Brrr
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Cromagnum said:

Ag_07 said:

Those are nice several thousand dollar tickets you have there. Would be a shame if severe storms shut down the city so you can't get to the game on time...

Good. Put our worst foot forward. We have enough yankees and left coasters. Tell them it is like this all winter and then tell them the truth about the summers. In between, we have hurricanes in the fall and tornadoes and allergies in the spring. And then cc California in on this communication.
wessimo
AG
Mose Schrute
AG
Sleet in cypress
htxag09
AG
Same in oak forest. Coming down hard, but nothing to cause damage yet. Either way, glad I put my truck in the garage earlier.
TX04Aggie
AG
Hail at my house in timbergrove just now…
Ryan the Temp
AG
TX04Aggie said:

Hail at my house in timbergrove just now…
Same on the other side of Shepherd.
TX04Aggie
AG
That was weird. No rain before or after. Just a big hail dump and some lightning.
Al Bula
AG
Mose Schrute said:

Sleet in cypress
Same earlier. Looking forward to Eric Berger talking down to us, I mean breaking it down for us.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.