*****2024 Hurricane Off-Season*****
197,599 Views | 1743 Replies
CDUB98
4:25p, 1/11/24
Oh ****, it's on now, boys.
Cromagnum
4:34p, 1/11/24
In reply to The Wonderer
I haven't seen that pic in a hot minute.
Chewy
5:08p, 1/11/24
Ironically enough SCW posted an update and it might not be too terrible.

Going to be in the 30s but dry and winds out of the north on occasion from 10-15 mph.

Feel like this is similar to a couple of years ago.

I just don't want any precip or 20+ mph consistent winds.
jenn96
5:23p, 1/11/24
Exactly. I'm okay with cold; but want nothing that runs the risk of causing power outages. Both high wind and ice make that a lot more likely. Not to mention actually being able to have school, since you know every school in town with shut down if there's even a rumor of ice Tuesday morning.
ChipFTAC01
10:10p, 1/11/24
It doesn't matter if there's not a drop of rain. If it's in the low 20s I guarantee you they close school on Tuesday. Because reasons…
Milwaukees Best Light
10:32p, 1/11/24
&ct=g
htxag09
7:01a, 1/12/24
In reply to ChipFTAC01
Quote:

Light precipitation likely Monday and light icing on area roads is possible, especially north and west of Houston. Tuesday AM commute may be impacted in spots.
Sea Speed
7:04a, 1/12/24
In reply to htxag09
If there is a single ice crystal on the streets of the tine metro, the whole thing will come to a stand still.
Cynic
7:09a, 1/12/24
Make sure to leave your pets outside, they love the cold weather.

ChipFTAC01
8:20a, 1/12/24
In reply to Sea Speed
Sea Speed said:

If there is a single ice crystal on the streets of the tine metro, the whole thing will come to a stand still.

That's my point. It does look like there's going to be a little precip now but even if there wasn't the Tine is going to freak out.
Cromagnum
8:40a, 1/12/24
In reply to ChipFTAC01
ChipFTAC01 said:

Sea Speed said:

That's my point. It does look like there's going to be a little precip now but even if there wasn't the Tine is going to freak out.

htxag09
8:45a, 1/12/24
I'm not defending the schools, I just find it funny that the people who post here making fun of the Karen's who have to post on facebook about how their precious babies won't be going to school and they won't be going to work if there is even a threat of ice generally seems to overlap with the people who have to let all of TexAgs know how irate they are and how stupid schools are that they may close if the weather may do something next week.
lunchbox
8:45a, 1/12/24
My SIL lives in Manhattan, KS and their threshold for closing school is more than 5" of snow or -20 wind chill.
cr0wbar
9:08a, 1/12/24
In reply to htxag09
htxag09 said:

I'm not defending the schools, I just find it funny that the people who post here making fun of the Karen's who have to post on facebook about how their precious babies won't be going to school and they won't be going to work if there is even a threat of ice generally seems to overlap with the people who have to let all of TexAgs know how irate they are and how stupid schools are that they may close if the weather may do something next week.
hell of a sentence
maroon barchetta
9:11a, 1/12/24
In reply to cr0wbar
There was a weather cancellation the day he was supposed to learn about run-on sentences.
htxag09
9:19a, 1/12/24
In reply to cr0wbar
But not wrong.
Cromagnum
9:46a, 1/12/24
Unless the forecast changes drastically between now and Monday, it just looks like cold rain on Monday and then standard protect the 3 Ps weather at night time.

Tom Cardy
9:48a, 1/12/24
In reply to Cromagnum
Which of the 4Ps are we not protecting this time?
Cromagnum
9:52a, 1/12/24
In reply to Tom Cardy
Tom Cardy said:

Which of the 4Ps are we not protecting this time?

People, because **** em that's why.
- Dave Chapelle.

BayAg_14
10:00a, 1/12/24
Just landed at Hobby and feel like I need to kiss the ground. Easily the sportiest landing I have experienced. Hats off to the pilots landing in this wind today.
Sea Speed
10:07a, 1/12/24
In reply to BayAg_14
Turbulence freaks me out so much now that I have a family. Probably irrationally so. I never used to care when I was younger.
TXAG 05
10:14a, 1/12/24
Flying back to Houston tomorrow, hoping it won't be too bad.

I'm with you on the turbulence Sea Speed. Used to not care about it all, but a couple of years ago it started to really bother me.
CDUB98
10:16a, 1/12/24
I've despised flying ever since I graduated with an mech engineering degree.

Once you realize the millions of things that can go wrong, and why, it changes things.

But, I still do it as it is necessary.
FHKChE07
10:30a, 1/12/24
In reply to CDUB98
When you come to realize how many people are engineers that really shouldn't be, it is a wonder there aren't more plane crashes, explosions, etc...
Jack Klompus
11:13a, 1/12/24
New CFISD Superintendent just plopped his D on the desk about closing next week. Definitely a DGAF attitude in the email he sent out this morning.
Sea Speed
11:16a, 1/12/24
In reply to Jack Klompus
Post it up
Cromagnum
11:20a, 1/12/24
In reply to Jack Klompus
Jack Klompus said:

New CFISD Superintendent just plopped his D on the desk about closing next week. Definitely a DGAF attitude in the email he sent out this morning.

As in, LOL, we're staying open?
WES2006AG
11:21a, 1/12/24
In reply to Cromagnum
Cromagnum said:

Jack Klompus said:

As in, LOL, we're staying open?
That isn't what he said. He said they would evaluate conditions on Tuesday morning which is the same procedure that has always been in place for CFISD.
Jack Klompus
11:36a, 1/12/24
In reply to Sea Speed
Quote:

As many of you are aware, we have some extremely cold weather moving into the area this weekend. I take weather calls very seriously; there are three decisions I don't enjoy in my role:
  • boundary changes;
  • weather calls; and
  • budget cuts.
As such, I rely on a multitude of information and a lot of preparation. CFISD has detailed procedures in place for potential cancellations that will assist my decision-making process to ensure the safety of our students and staff. Here is a brief overview of what that entails.
[ol]
  • We have been watching models and receiving weather updates from local weather experts since last weekend. The latest model suggests the arctic blast may arrive Saturday nightso please have your personal prep done a little sooner, just in case.
  • As a reminder, Monday, Jan. 16 is a CFISD holiday. Leadership has reviewed all possibilities for Tuesday, Jan. 16, when we are set to return. We have a plan to check the roads personally. I can tell you that if the weather is not certain, several team members and I will be up late at night and early in the morning to assess that road conditions are safe for staff to arrive as well as to transport students. While weather stations report general area conditions, there is nothing like having eyes on the ground to see what is really going on in our community. I plan to drive the roads, as I have been doing since I was in little Poteet ISD (approximately 1,600 students). I am happy to say that police, transportation, and operations staff personally checking the roads is a practice here, too, because we love our staff and kids.
  • Some think we should close schools "just in case," or say that we don't make the call early enough, or they need us to open for a variety of reasons. Many of our families rely on us for more than just education; it's also childcare so they may go to work, or perhaps the warmth and food our schools provide. So, closing "just in case" can hurt people, too, when it's not founded. [emphasis added]
  • We also know staffing a campus properly is critical to a successful school day. Some of our folks travel from surrounding districts, so a neighboring district closing can impact our staffing ability when they do not have childcare.
  • [/ol]

Please know that I will be in constant communication with local meteorologists and other school district superintendents. I care deeply about each and every one of you and will be watching and stressing over making the right decision.

In the best interest of children,
    Doug Killian, Ph.D.
    Superintendent of Schools
    FHKChE07
    11:38a, 1/12/24
    Wow. A rational and well thought out decision for a leader. Sounds great to me.
    Ag83
    12:08p, 1/12/24
    In reply to Jack Klompus
    Quote:

As a reminder, Monday, Jan. 16 is a CFISD holiday.
    Monday (presumably referring to MLK day) is the 15th. Dude sounds on top of it.
    rhoswen
    4:28p, 1/12/24
    I need to go to HEB just for a regular shopping trip. I'm dreading it, so planning on going at like 8am tomorrow & hopefully it's not bad. I don't need bottled water so...
    Ryan the Temp
    4:36p, 1/12/24
    Do we have any idea yet what the ice risks will be for the roads on Tuesday morning? I would like to think TxDOT will have pretty well de-iced the bridges by then.
    jetch17
    4:36p, 1/12/24
    In reply to Jack Klompus
    Jack Klompus said:

I've been WatchDOG'ing all day and had 3 teachers say there's been an internal email after that one saying they will do a 2 hour late start regardless Tuesday
    CDUB98
    4:46p, 1/12/24
    In reply to rhoswen
    rhoswen said:

I need to go to HEB just for a regular shopping trip. I'm dreading it, so planning on going at like 8am tomorrow & hopefully it's not bad. I don't need bottled water so...

I went this morning. Was very light patronage. Quite nice for once.
    CLOSE
    Cancel
    Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
    Back
    Copy
    Page 4 of 50
    Verify your student status Register
    See Membership Benefits >
    CLOSE
    Night mode
    Off
    Auto-detect device settings