*****2024 Hurricane Off-Season*****
153,050 Views | 1348 Replies
JSKolache
2:53p, 5/2/24
In reply to lunchbox
lunchbox said:

Wycliffe said:

Lina telling people along the eastfork to evacuate. Is this really just a couple of feet away from Harvey levels?

She literally just said "you have two choices, stay for 2-3 days or leave."
You can go to https://www.harriscountyfws.org/ and select the Inundation Map option to see how far the San Jac and Lake Houston are out of their banks. When you zoom into the back of Kingwood, you can see how close the water is to the houses.
Conroe current level & release rate have passed 1994 & are 2nd highest ever behind Harvey.
aTm2004
3:01p, 5/2/24
In reply to Cromagnum
Cromagnum said:

Captain Winky said:

Too bad your house isn't an airport.

Wife said we didn't get a single drop, and now the radar is clear. At least this company I'm interviewing with got me a later flight today, first class at that, and told me to get a drink on them.
Not going to defend United, but it was really bad on the northside of town and around IAH. Just because it didn't rain in your area doesn't mean it wasn't bad elsewhere. Chances are, flights that were inbound (and most likely the plane you were to be on) got diverted or cancelled due to the storms and the longevity of them. I'm not far from IAH and we got 6" of rain in ~4 hours. And looking the radar, it was worse in the area around IAH. If you were inside Beltway 8, you probably didn't see any rain for most of the morning or get what those north of 8 got.
Cromagnum
3:06p, 5/2/24
In reply to aTm2004
And now my 6PM flight is delayed until at least 850 because of earlier delays. I'm not trying to get where I'm going at 1AM to interview the next morning. **** United.
Breggy Popup
3:09p, 5/2/24
In reply to aTm2004
Yep. We got over 8" in this one. My gauge overflowed so not sure beyond that. My roof guy who is a couple sections over said he had 10". This pic was on Aldine Westfield right behind my house. There are trees and powerlines down everywhere.
Breggy Popup
3:10p, 5/2/24
In reply to Cromagnum
Cromagnum said:

And now my 6PM flight is delayed until at least 850 because of earlier delays. I'm not trying to get where I'm going at 1AM to interview the next morning. **** United.

Yeah **** United for flooding the whole north side!
htxag09
3:11p, 5/2/24
In reply to Breggy Popup
Bregxit said:

Cromagnum said:

But there wasn't a drop at his house!
Cromagnum
3:12p, 5/2/24
In reply to Breggy Popup
Bregxit said:

Cromagnum said:

I have been effed over by United so many times that I outright will not book with them on my own. This is the new companies preferred airline though, so I didn't have a lot of choice. I could have flown southwest out of Hobby, taken a layover and still had zero issues. I had to miss a coworkers funeral for this on top of matters.
aTm2004
3:13p, 5/2/24
In reply to Cromagnum
I get you're frustrated, but this isn't a United caused issue. It's not like it was great weather around the country and they keep cancelling due to mechanical delays. The weather at IAH was ****ed for hours this morning, which is going to cause issues. Dammit, you have me defending United. I feel dirty.

If you want some perspective...you're *****ing because your flight is delayed while some other people are putting stuff up as high as they can and evacuating their houses. But hey, it didn't rain at your place, so things are good, right?
aTm2004
3:14p, 5/2/24
In reply to Cromagnum
Cromagnum said:

Bregxit said:

Cromagnum said:

I have been effed over by United so many times that I outright will not book with them on my own. This is the new companies preferred airline though, so I didn't have a lot of choice.
You're a fool if you think American, Delta, Southwest, Frontier, Spirit, etc aren't dealing with the same thing right now. This is not a United issue.
aTm2004
3:15p, 5/2/24
In reply to Breggy Popup
Holy crap. Hasn't gotten that bad over here...and I hope it doesn't.
AggieArcher17
3:24p, 5/2/24
9" in 4 hours at my house in Spring this morning. Almost launched the kayak in the street if not for the torrential rain and lightning. Lived here 5 years and never seen it flood the streets like that.
TX04Aggie
3:25p, 5/2/24
Yep. Rerouted. Detroit to Denver to IAH landing after midnight tonight. Yayyy
South Platte
3:25p, 5/2/24
In reply to lunchbox
lunchbox said:

Wycliffe said:

Lina telling people along the eastfork to evacuate. Is this really just a couple of feet away from Harvey levels?

You can go to https://www.harriscountyfws.org/ and select the Inundation Map option to see how far the San Jac and Lake Houston are out of their banks. When you zoom into the back of Kingwood, you can see how close the water is to the houses.
That's satellite imagery of standing water? It looks like it's about to flood a bunch of homes in KW.
aTm2004
3:30p, 5/2/24
In reply to South Platte
I'm not sure. I was in East End to look at Lake Houston around 12:45 or so and it was nowhere near where that map shows. I'll go back out after work to see.
JSKolache
3:50p, 5/2/24
In reply to South Platte
South Platte said:

lunchbox said:

Wycliffe said:

That's satellite imagery of standing water? It looks like it's about to flood a bunch of homes in KW.

No it's modelling based on stream elevation levels, not real time satellite imagery. I don't think Dora can afford that.
Kenneth_2003
3:52p, 5/2/24
In reply to South Platte
Pretty sure the inundation map is a projection from gage elevations and surveyed stream profiles
Sea Speed
3:58p, 5/2/24
Stupid rain didn't even have the common courtesy to wait until Cinco de mayo to stick with houstons holiday flooding conventions.
Kenneth_2003
4:09p, 5/2/24
In reply to Sea Speed
Sea Speed said:

Stupid rain didn't even have the common courtesy to wait until Cinco de mayo to stick with houstons holiday flooding conventions.

Checks forecast... It could peak by Sunday...
lunchbox
4:16p, 5/2/24
Breggy Popup
4:19p, 5/2/24
Conroe ISD cancelled tomorrow due to expected deterioration of conditions overnight.
BrazosBendHorn
4:20p, 5/2/24
In reply to texasaggie2015
texasaggie2015 said:

Not United related but similar: I flew American last week. I got on two different planes trying to fly back and both of them had mechanical issues. We were told the back door wouldn't latch. I had to stay in a hotel which I finally got to around 3am. There were several of us in the same taxi going to the hotel (AA covered the cost on this) and some were coming from a different destination and were delayed and missed their connection. They also said they were told "the back door won't latch".

The taxi driver said he's heard that same story dozens of times over the last few weeks. Interesting.

My morning flight was pushed back all the way to the afternoon. Got home about 24 hours after I was supposed to. AA gave me 1,000 reward miles and a $12 meal voucher as an apology.. which amounts to almost nothing. Pretty crazy stuff. Flying is brutal these days.

My sister was supposed to fly AA fron DFW to HOU this afternoon. 2 hrs prior to departure they cancelled the flight and they had nothing else available for getting into Houston today. They did offer a flight to Beaumont, so there's that. She said no thanks and decided to drive down (taking a westerly route through Waco and College Station).
aTm2004
4:27p, 5/2/24
In reply to aTm2004
aTm2004 said:

I'm not sure. I was in East End to look at Lake Houston around 12:45 or so and it was nowhere near where that map shows. I'll go back out after work to see.
Just went back out to check and it is nowhere near where the map says it is. It is a couple feet higher, but not like that.
Cromagnum
4:54p, 5/2/24
In reply to aTm2004
aTm2004 said:

I get you're frustrated, but this isn't a United caused issue. It's not like it was great weather around the country and they keep cancelling due to mechanical delays. The weather at IAH was ****ed for hours this morning, which is going to cause issues. Dammit, you have me defending United. I feel dirty.

If you want some perspective...you're *****ing because your flight is delayed while some other people are putting stuff up as high as they can and evacuating their houses. But hey, it didn't rain at your place, so things are good, right?

I get it, and I'm being selfish because some people did get their properties ruined. Still pissed that my current job situation is not looking great and I've been working on this career change for a while.
Captain Winky
5:09p, 5/2/24
In reply to Cromagnum
You should take that up with God, not United.
Charismatic Megafauna
5:36p, 5/2/24
In reply to AggieArcher17
AggieArcher17 said:

9" in 4 hours at my house in Spring this morning. Almost launched the kayak in the street if not for the torrential rain and lightning. Lived here 5 years and never seen it flood the streets like that.

Humblebrag much? In southwest houston we only flood minivans and smashed up altimas!
Anti-taxxer
5:43p, 5/2/24
Can someone explain to me what it means that rivers and dams are releasing water? Like I'm five?

Does it just mean that they are overflowing?
Sea Speed
5:44p, 5/2/24
How are they going to park the lexus in the street and not the scion xc or cube or whatever that box is.
aTm2004
5:49p, 5/2/24
In reply to Cromagnum
Cromagnum said:

aTm2004 said:

I get it, and I'm being selfish because some people did get their properties ruined. Still pissed that my current job situation is not looking great and I've been working on this career change for a while.

I understand. Hopefully the interview goes well tomorrow and you ride off into greener pastures.
Breggy Popup
5:50p, 5/2/24
In reply to Anti-taxxer
Anti-taxxer said:

Can someone explain to me what it means that rivers and dams are releasing water? Like I'm five?

Lakes are really reservoirs. They are releasing water to avoid damage to the dams from overtopping.
Kenneth_2003
5:54p, 5/2/24
In reply to Anti-taxxer
Anti-taxxer said:

The lakes have gates to control the releases. The big ones in our area are Conroe, Houston, and Livingston. Houston and Conroe are for water supply and recreation only. They have(essentially) zero flood storage capacity. Once they're full they MUST open the gates and let the water continue down river.

Lake Livingston does have some storage capacity, but not much and I don't believe flood is one of it's design purposes, but I could be mistaken.

In addition to gates, these dams also have emergency spillways that are just free overflow structures. If the water reaches that level gravity does the rest. For contribute I think they just raise the gates until they're above the water.

Livingston is relating record accounts from it's gates AND it's 0.1 ft below it's emergency spillway. At 205 ft, Conroe is about a foot and a half below it's maximum design water level. Conroe Ingles though are decreasing. Livingston I don't think has peaked.
Kenneth_2003
5:58p, 5/2/24
In reply to Cromagnum
Cromagnum said:

aTm2004 said:

Not trying to dog pile man. I get it, this is very frustrating and finding you've obviously worked hard for. Take comfort, if it's meant to be this won't affect it. If it wasn't meant to be maybe this is your sign.

Don't know if you're a religious person, but if so say a prayer and ask the good man upstairs if today is a sign for you or just another test?
Poot
6:22p, 5/2/24
Anybody know how Highland Pines is fairing thru this? New neighborhood off of 99 adjacent to the West Fork of the San Jac.

Seems like that would be a flood prone area…
Cromagnum
6:34p, 5/2/24
In reply to aTm2004
aTm2004 said:

Cromagnum said:

aTm2004 said:

I understand. Hopefully the interview goes well tomorrow and you ride off into greener pastures.

Well, it won't be tomorrow. Couldn't make arrangements work. Gonna reschedule as soon as reasonable for the next time for the on-site interview.
Cromagnum
6:35p, 5/2/24
In reply to Kenneth_2003
Kenneth_2003 said:

Cromagnum said:

aTm2004 said:

Not trying to dog pile man. I get it, this is very frustrating and finding you've obviously worked hard for. Take comfort, if it's meant to be this won't affect it. If it wasn't meant to be maybe this is your sign.

Don't know if you're a religious person, but if so say a prayer and ask the good man upstairs if today is a sign for you or just another test?

You are now the 6th person today (counting myself) who has asked whether this is a sign, and whether I'm being too stubborn to listen.
Anti-taxxer
6:44p, 5/2/24
In reply to Kenneth_2003
Thank you!
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 21 of 39
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >