2024 Property Tax Season
25,607 Views | 210 Replies
LPHA
4:57p, 4/9/24
Market up 20% in 77092. So far beyond reality at this point. I'd easily take it if offered.
Sea Speed
5:04p, 4/9/24
Galveston and Jefferson values not up yet
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
6:52p, 4/9/24
In reply to Sea Speed
Don't worry, they will take their pound of flesh too
Sponsor Message: We Split Commissions. Full Service Agents in Austin, Bryan-College Station, Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and San Antonio. Red Pear Realty
AgLiving06
7:08p, 4/9/24
10% in 77035.

I'm already getting mail saying they can reduce it by 9.9% haha
SnowboardAg
8:04p, 4/9/24
Really irritated - added paint to exterior home, new windows, new driveway, patio extension and I'm up 200% on improvement. They called it a remodel and literally brought my appraised value equal to market. Changed NOTHING to the inside of the house. Neighbor adds a second story last year, he doesn't get the remodel tag.

Anyone have a company to dispute unique challenge like this? I typically fight it myself but this year most likely needs someone more experienced.
Sea Speed
8:20p, 4/9/24
In reply to Red Pear Realty
Red Pear Realty said:

Don't worry, they will take their pound of flesh too

I know.
Diggity
9:02p, 4/9/24
In reply to SnowboardAg
You could likely protest that yourself using their own descriptions of what each category of updating consists of, paired with some recent interior pictures.
mh86Ag
10:02p, 4/9/24
I believe I read somewhere online that you can submit your purchase statement to protest market value for 2 years following the purchase. Does anyone know if this is true? I can't find it after doing a quick google search. We bought in August 2022 in 77008.
Mr. McGibblets
10:46p, 4/9/24
In reply to mh86Ag
mh86Ag said:

I believe I read somewhere online that you can submit your purchase statement to protest market value for 2 years following the purchase. Does anyone know if this is true? I can't find it after doing a quick google search. We bought in August 2022 in 77008.

Nope- Texas is an every year reappraisal state. Each year is independent on its own.
Martin Q. Blank
8:23a, 4/10/24
In reply to mh86Ag
mh86Ag said:

I've done it successfully. Never hurts to try.
Cromagnum
4:53p, 4/11/24
9.6% increase in assessed. A little less increase for market, so its weird math. Still completely insane.
Forum Troll
6:20p, 4/11/24
Mine is down slightly in Fort Bend.
PunjabiAg
8:43p, 4/11/24
Humble Tx and mine went from assessed value of 432K
To 472K this year
At 3.3% property tax rate that equates to like $1300-1400 dollar tax increase

I will protest wish me luck
Nagler
8:58a, 4/12/24
Mine are showing the same as last year.
Sazerac
11:26a, 4/15/24
Another 20% in 77079
Up 50% from 2019
What a ****ing criminal racket they are running
aTm2004
3:36p, 4/15/24
Alright, all of the values in my neighborhood are up and I'm beginning my analysis of what they're doing this year.

I have all of the houses in our section/neighborhood and I've gone through and calculated the market and appraised by sq/ft for each house, then I went and sorted square footage from smallest to largest, and numbered them in order, then sorted by appraised value highest to lowest, and numbered those in order. I then went and sorted back by square footage order and see that the smaller houses in my neighborhood are getting a higher appraisal per square foot while the larger houses are getting a smaller value per square foot.

The largest 3 largest houses in our neighborhood are $138, $134, and $145 sq/ft, while the 3 smallest (~1600 sq/ft smaller) are $168, $157, and $159. It's ****ing comical what they're doing. It's like they have a total number they want per house and will manipulate the numbers to get that number.

There are 19 houses on my street, and mine is the 5th smallest, but my appraisal per sq/ft is higher than 8 of the larger houses (most with pools), and lower than the 4 that are smaller than mine.

What I'm doing is going to HCAD and finding the 4-digit "neighborhood" number, then going to advance search and searching using that number, copying and pasting into a .xls format, then deleting the community stuff and non-houses. A bit easier for me given there are only 150 houses in my neighborhood.
Diggity
4:07p, 4/15/24
In reply to aTm2004
best to pull the land value out and do those calculations for improved value only.

No idea if that will change your results, but improved value is what you'll be arguing.
aTm_bomb
4:11p, 4/15/24
In reply to aTm2004
Quote:

aTm_bomb said:
$398k, down from $445k. 8% increase YoY. Should have been somewhere in the 380k but not an awful result and a saved a few bucks in taxes this year.

Lady dropped some of the comps bc they were " too much larger" than my property (200 sq ft). Said that economies of scale as if houses are cheaper based how large you build them. I said you're telling me a 4000 sq ft house is cheaper than my 2300 soft house? I got a nonsense response and took the offer. I knew it was a lost cause arguing this as she was clearly not moving off her offer.

If anything, someone would pay MORE per sq ft for a larger house bc there are fewer of them in the area….

Fine with the result but man I hate someone lying to my face especially when we both know it. Just say I agree with some of your comps but this is what I'm comfortable offering.
You are getting economies of scale'd. This was the argument I got last year from the agent when comps were all 3/2s.
Mr. McGibblets
4:50p, 4/15/24
Please for the love of god stop using the appraised value in yalls analysis. Thats the quickest way an appraiser can completely discredit and **** on your report. Don't give them a way out especially in a formal hearing.

Market Values Only!
MelvinUdall
8:36p, 4/15/24
Apparently the value of my property went up 20% in one year.
TXTransplant
8:56p, 4/15/24
In reply to MelvinUdall
So did mine…23%, actually. I successfully protested last year, so they bumped me up again with an additional 5-6% for good measure.

It's like Groundhog Day every year with HCAD.
BudFox7
4:30a, 4/16/24
In reply to Mr. McGibblets
Where can I get in contact with you?
MelvinUdall
8:50a, 4/16/24
In reply to TXTransplant
TXTransplant said:

So did mine…23%, actually. I successfully protested last year, so they bumped me up again with an additional 5-6% for good measure.

It's like Groundhog Day every year with HCAD.

Yeah, they decided to hit me with an 8% increase on the home and 20% on the land…this is Fort Bend County, so it looks like all the counties have decided to bump the land value this year, making it more difficult to protest.
Mr. McGibblets
9:59a, 4/16/24
In reply to BudFox7
BudFox7 said:

Where can I get in contact with you?
EHaidamous@hataxgroup.com

Please include your address and phone number. Also mention TexAgs to get your discount.
aTm2004
12:56p, 4/16/24
In reply to Mr. McGibblets
Looking at Market as well, and it's the same as what I described above. It's like they have a number they want every house to pay, so the screw with the numbers to get there.
Aggie71013
4:42p, 4/16/24
My understanding is the CADs do mass valuations based on the characteristics of your house that you can find on the CAD. Unless you change those, your value will reset to the formula valuation every year regardless of your protest result from the year prior.

I expect mine to raise again even after a successful protest. Other than comments there is no where HCAD maintains change information and they don't and can't review them individual houses preemptively. This is from my experience and recreating a SQL database from the publicallybavaioable data.
AndAg
6:31p, 4/16/24
Actually went down $5k in 77386. Still will protest because why not but first time they've been nice to me in a long while.
ktownag08
11:09p, 4/16/24
In reply to AndAg
Did you get a letter for 77386? I don't see updated values on MCAD yet.
StillNotAnAggie
4:41p, 4/17/24
In reply to ktownag08
ktownag08 said:

Did you get a letter for 77386? I don't see updated values on MCAD yet.
I got mine in the mail today in 77386. Mine went up the maximum 10%. F MCAD.
@AndAg, where are you that yours went down? I'm in Spring Trails.

Edited to add %.
SlackerAg
5:21p, 4/17/24
Also up 10% for 77386.
ktownag08
11:24p, 4/17/24
Yup, got it in the mail today as well.

A few percent increase in 77386 so not terrible.
Bassmaster
8:31a, 4/18/24
My value went up 166k, but 134k of that was land value. I find that extremely odd. I'm in 77386 as well.
Dr. Doctor
10:28a, 4/18/24
Finally was able to see changes for 77345

Appraised went up 10%
Market only went up 7.6%

Since I bought in 2017, it has gone up 45.9%, even after going down $5k on my 1st 'real' year.

Unreal.

~egon
Dr. Doctor
10:30a, 4/18/24
And for a funny look-up, went to my first house I bought.

Bought it in '12 for $204k.

Currently assesed at $410,120. 101% increase in 12 years. Harris County, but outside CoH.

~egon
Diggity
10:38a, 4/18/24
In reply to Dr. Doctor
how does that compare to what the home could sell for? Certainly there are areas that have doubled in 12 years around town. Not mine unfortunately.

I have colleagues asking me to help them with protests, and they're complaining how crazy the values are. Meanwhile, the areas sales are at their assessed level or higher.

I've found using the sales approach in nearly impossible in most cases. Unequal appraisal seems to be the better bet recently.
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 4 of 7
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings