2024 Property Tax Season
24,856 Views | 210 Replies
TombstoneTex
7:37a, 3/5/24
13% increase, as it currently stands, in 77401.

Fought a ~15% increase down to 3.8% last year with Bettencourt Tax Advisors. Here we go again...

ETA: They left the land value unchanged but jacked my house value 50%!!!
Martin Q. Blank
9:29a, 3/5/24
In reply to SnowboardAg

Quote:

3. All that being said, what do I do here - A.) Go in with Pics of the inside of the home to fight the "Very Good" condition with the appraiser. B.) Hire someone to fight it for me - if so, who? C.) Chalk it up as a loss to the condition knowing that I somewhat got an advantage with #1.
The only place to get it changed back is the informal hearing with an appraiser. I'd choose (A). Go in and have them prove to you why it was upgraded. Bring in photos of the inside that show nothing has changed. Exterior paint and landscaping does not change the condition of the house itself.

Which condition did they upgrade? Cond / Desir / Util or Physical Condition?
SnowboardAg
9:52a, 3/5/24
Changed them both....I plan to bring plenty of pics of bathrooms and kitchen. I will also bring a before / after pic of the front of the house so they can see the paint difference (and new driveway). Regardless, we're talking 30K max improvement there.

Element
Details
Cost and Design
Extensive
Cond / Desir / Util
Very Good
Foundation Type
Slab
Grade Adjustment
B-
Heating / AC
Central Heat/AC
Physical Condition
Very Good
Exterior Wall
Brick / Veneer
ktownag08
8:04p, 3/5/24
Went to the Montgomery County website to check (not there yet) and damn if they didn't make their search and map tools worse. They were previously pretty solid and now just crap. Don't want to think about the amount of tax dollars that went towards said "improvements"...
TexAg2001
12:37p, 3/7/24
In reply to Martin Q. Blank
Martin Q. Blank said:

Quote:

3. All that being said, what do I do here - A.) Go in with Pics of the inside of the home to fight the "Very Good" condition with the appraiser. B.) Hire someone to fight it for me - if so, who? C.) Chalk it up as a loss to the condition knowing that I somewhat got an advantage with #1.
The only place to get it changed back is the informal hearing with an appraiser. I'd choose (A). Go in and have them prove to you why it was upgraded. Bring in photos of the inside that show nothing has changed. Exterior paint and landscaping does not change the condition of the house itself.

Which condition did they upgrade? Cond / Desir / Util or Physical Condition?
I've been asking HCAD to "downgrade" the classification of my home for the last 4 years with no luck. My home was renovated a couple years prior to me purchasing and incorrectly classified as a complete gut and buildback, when in reality it was mostly cosmetic. I didn't think to argue it the first few years because the appraised value was about what I paid for it, or even slightly less. However, it skyrocketed the last 3 years at a much higher rate than similarly renovated homes in my area. When I ran a comparison, the only thing different was how my home's renovation was classified.

I've been very successful at getting HCAD to reduce the appraised value down to what it should be every year. However, they still won't change the classification, so I have to continue to fight it every year. During my formal protest last August, they agreed with my assessment and said they "might" send someone to look at my house. Well, the guy happened to show up about an hour ago (7 months later), but we weren't home. I only know he was there because my Ring camera showed a guy wearing a vest that said HCAD Appraiser.
aTm_bomb
12:00p, 3/25/24
77096 - got the new property search interface to glitch and show me a value. 6% increase and even says when I can expect to receive my notice (April 19th).

Not the worst increase but I intend to provide a huge foundation quote on them to lower the valuation it in addition to Jubally support.
Crazy Ag 97
11:54a, 3/30/24
This is beyond criminal at this point. Don't even get me started on the fact that property taxes in general are a wealth tax on unrealized gains, but add in the fact that it's a government tax based on the what the government arbitrarily determines your value to be is just straight up criminal.

45% increase in value is complete crap. If I could sell my house for even $100k less than what they are claiming is the value It would be on the market this afternoon.

Of course I'll protest, and they'll knock off 75% of the increase and act like they doing me a favor, even though my taxable still goes up the max 10%.

Mr. McGibblets
4:26a, 4/2/24
I can see notice values in my HCAD portal. Looking like very minimal increases and some decreases on values $750k and less. They hammered homes $1.5mill or more. This year will be a cap catchup year. Values should be releasing online any day.

Edit to add that FBCAD released values yesterday online.
BudFox7
3:11p, 4/2/24
77008 10% increase

6 units all identical. Last sale was around 8 months ago for 10% less than my appraised value. The market value they list is 35% over the last unit sold.

What is the best way to protest this trash?
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
4:44p, 4/2/24
In reply to BudFox7
Reach out to the poster who posted one spot above you and see if he still has spots available.
Sponsor Message: We Split Commissions. Full Service Agents in Austin, Bryan-College Station, Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and San Antonio. Red Pear Realty
TexAg2001
7:57a, 4/3/24
77096. Market increase of 32% (Appraisal capped at 10%).

0% increase in land value, but a 67% increase in Improvement. Insane....I've done no improvements since I bought it 8 years ago and home values in my area have not increased substantially since then either. It would be on the market this afternoon if I could sell it for the amount they show.

The new portal doesn't show 2024 amounts, but the "classic search" does.
MAS444
9:21a, 4/3/24
Up about 20% in 77009 - less than the 23% increase the glitch showed in January.

Over 20% increase on uncapped property in 77008. Dammit.
Cru
9:36a, 4/3/24
We're loading Jubally up this week.
Cromagnum
9:40a, 4/3/24
Next year will be fun. They expanded our subdivision down thr cul-de-sac and asking $179k per acre for the land, which is little more than an overgrown rice field and cost us $59k per acre not even a quarter mile away. They also plan to build homes that somehow are going to be 2-3x as expensive. Comps are going to suck.
redag06
10:49a, 4/3/24
77339 15% Market increase

60% increase in land value.
The Wonderer
10:52a, 4/3/24
In reply to BudFox7
BudFox7 said:

77008 10% increase

6 units all identical. Last sale was around 8 months ago for 10% less than my appraised value. The market value they list is 35% over the last unit sold.

What is the best way to protest this trash?
Reach out to McGibblets. He handles my homes in 008 and 092.
The Wonderer
10:57a, 4/3/24
In reply to MAS444
MAS444 said:

Up about 20% in 77009 - less than the 23% increase the glitch showed in January.

Over 20% increase on uncapped property in 77008. Dammit.
All the "we're gonna slap 6 townhomes together on a 10k ft^2 lot building is fcking things up and a lot of them are for sale or empty
cajunaggie08
11:47a, 4/3/24
I'm up 7% in 77494 in FBCAD territory so I guess that's a win, but will still protest. Homestead is still catching up though since I'm up 66% since 2019. There was a 30% increase in land value which hasn't changed value in over 6 years.
gougler08
11:52a, 4/3/24
In reply to cajunaggie08
14% for me on FBCAD in 77406. Also saw a land increase for the first time since I've owned the house (2018) and my homestead is still catching up, 54% increase since 2018
The Wonderer
1:06p, 4/3/24
7.86% increase in 008
7.36% decrease in 092
TXTransplant
1:33p, 4/3/24
77389. Edit: was looking at the wrong data for 2023. Every house on my street that PROTESTED last year got a 21-22% increase in market value (mine is up almost 23%). The ones who kept their over-inflated values got 6-8% increases this year.

The only two comps on the street that sold this year both had a pool and sold for a huge premium compared to houses on other streets with no pool. I don't have a pool, but it's clear HCAD took those sales prices and applied them to all of us.

I had to go to the appeal board last year. I think I'm going to pay someone to protest for me this year.
Ryan the Temp
2:05p, 4/3/24
In reply to Cru
Cru said:

We're loading Jubally up this week.
Have you ever been able to add properties with multiple buildings to what you can handle? You've turned me away repeatedly because I have a garage apartment.
Ryan the Temp
2:10p, 4/3/24
5.9% market increase in 77008
Jack Klompus
2:24p, 4/3/24
Decrease in Market value by 3.5%
Increase in Appraised value by 10%
ThreeFive
3:27p, 4/3/24
36.51% market increase. 10% limit on the appraisal. 77005

Land stayed the same and all was attributed to improvements.
Cru
4:27p, 4/3/24
In reply to Ryan the Temp
I'm sorry, but nope. Mathematically we could, but the cost of development would never pay for itself.
aTm2004
6:32p, 4/3/24
Appraised up 10%
Market up 7%

Improvement didn't change. Only land.

DRE06
11:02p, 4/3/24
Bert315
7:31a, 4/4/24
Appraised up 10%
Market up 3%

I doubt I win my protest this year as my market is still $50k over the appraised. I think my market is way off but doubt I can get it down to what they have it appraised.
Bigballin
11:50a, 4/4/24
Market up 12% in 77019.

I continue to despise HCAD
htxag09
5:36p, 4/4/24
Both of my houses have different values than the "glitch". Both greater. So not sure what those numbers were

+10% in 77007
+7% in 77018
TombstoneTex
12:19p, 4/9/24
In reply to TombstoneTex
TombstoneTex said:

13% increase, as it currently stands, in 77401.

Fought a ~15% increase down to 3.8% last year with Bettencourt Tax Advisors. Here we go again...

ETA: They left the land value unchanged but jacked my house value 50%!!!
Actual increase 12.3%... argue it down and they just pop it back up. Still waiting on my refund from last year. Here we go again.

No increase on land value - all on improvements.
Diggity
1:09p, 4/9/24
In reply to Bert315
Bert315 said:

Appraised up 10%
Market up 3%

I doubt I win my protest this year as my market is still $50k over the appraised. I think my market is way off but doubt I can get it down to what they have it appraised.
streetfighter2012
2:25p, 4/9/24
Wife and I purchased in September in 77018. For 2024 HCAD has Market and Appraisal value the same at 3.5% higher than what we paid for the house.

Looking back at the 2023 evaluation they have the Land remaining the same, Improvement value increasing by 38% and the overall Market value up 9% and Appraisal up 11%.

Do we have a leg to stand on and fight the increase over what we paid?
idAg09
3:21p, 4/9/24
Yes, you should be able to submit your purchase contract to get value lowered to what you paid. We did this in 2022 for home purchased in June 2021. I think my wife just submitted online and it was done with no issues.
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 3 of 7
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings