Houston
Sponsored by

John McClain - 610 Radio

3,884 Views | 35 Replies | Last: 14 days ago by The Porkchop Express
Next Year is the Year
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Interesting to see one of the old ones finally pushed out of the door in relation to Houston sports. I wasn't his biggest fan, but it will be interesting to see who will replace him as THE Houston NFL media guy.

Houston media icon John McClain laid off at SportsRadio 610 (chron.com)
Ag_07
AG
Good that guy sucks. It tend to think he lost his sources from within the Texans but I'm not sure he ever had any.

He would say the stupidest most generic shlt and I'd be sitting there thinking 'Why do they have even this dude on?'.

I can go on the radio and say 'Yeah I don't know who the Texans are gonna pick. No one does but maybe a couple people. It's kinda pointless to guess since it's just a guess. [insert fat man wheezing into the mic] But have yall seen Spring Breakers yet?'
AMW2010
AG
I work for the Texans and still see him in and around the building all the time … fwiw
Diggity
AG
They have excellent snacks
94chem
Saw him at the Houston Sports Awards last night. Basically the point is to induct Warren Moon, Lance Berkman, and Cynthia Cooper in the Houston Sports HOF. He was one of the b-listers who had a cameo to introduce someone else. They cram a bunch of other awards around these inductions. Most of the recipients didn't even show up. The best part of the evening was when Robert Earl Keen sauntered out to serenade Lance Berkman. Well, and to see our wheelchair basketball coach to win an award for community service!
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
I Am A Critic
10 years overdue
Username checks out.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
I thought for sure he would stroke out before they took the mic from him. Dude must have a gigantic enlarged heart to keep him above ground.
Chewy
AG
I honestly thought the dude was working for free to seem relevant. Can't believe he actually got paid.

I don't hate the guy but he's definitely a relic from a by gone era.

You can bet he'll still be around the Texans as he's smartly never said a bad thing about the McNairs so he could keep his connection there.
BBRex
AG
When I worked in the Chronicle sports department from about '08-14, he came to a couple of meetings but mostly worked remotely. The old Chron building downtown was sort of pieced together, and it took some walking to get from the car to the department's conference room. The few times I saw him I wasn't sure he was going to make the walk to the conference room and back. Even then I think he was more mailing it in and living on Oilers stories.
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
I've heard stories from older Chron guys about the glory days of the sports department, when McClain or whoever could pick out whichever NFL game they wanted to fly to that week, and the Oilers press guy who's job it was to entertain reporters in the hospitality suite at the dome. They had it good back in the day.
BBRex
AG
Yeah, I signed up too late for those glory days (and I worked the copy desk, so I was in the office editing stories and laying out pages). But I've heard life was good back then for those NFL guys.
Stat Monitor Repairman
Him and Charlie Pallilo could team up and do a show where John sits there and breathes during Charlie's dead air.
HtownWilly12
Stat Monitor Repairman said:

Him and Charlie Pallilo could team up and do a show where John sits there and breathes during Charlie's dead air.

A whole new meaning to dead air
BoxingAg84

BoxingAg84

BoxingAg84

Milwaukees Best Light
AG
That is a pretty classy way to do it. I don't care for the twitter platform, but that shouldn't take away from the words he typed.
TJaggie14
Furlock Bones
AG
Good F em. He's a mouth breathing moron that has infected Houston sports media for far too long.
Ferris Wheel Allstar
AG
Milwaukees Best Light said:

That is a pretty classy way to do it. I don't care for the twitter platform, but that shouldn't take away from the words he typed.
was thinking the same thing as I was reading it
MAS444
AG
I couldn't listen to the dude with his constant wheezing and gasping for air.
Furlock Bones
AG
MAS444 said:

I couldn't listen to the dude with his constant wheezing and gasping for air.
someone on twixer said his voice was "iconic". is breathing into the microphone iconic?
chimpanzee
I had a 2.5 hour commute before the days of streaming or podcasts or anything like that, so I probably listened to months of Houston sports radio. I don't know how any of those guys maintained any kind of energy to go on talking about mediocre football for decades.

Not to be an apologist for the guy, I wasn't a fan, but to have Houston sports as your required professional speaking subject from ~1995 to 2015 meant one run to a championship game/series over 60 seasons. It's amazing they all didn't keel over from the uppers they had to do to get animated enough to get out of bed.
David_Puddy
AG
AMW2010 said:

I work for the Texans and still see him in and around the building all the time … fwiw

You know Roland? He's one of my best friends
MelvinUdall
I have no issue with McClain, he had a tremendous career as a writer, he is not always on his "A" game, but that doesn't take away from his career. It will be interesting to see who they do fill his void with at 610.
I Am A Critic
MelvinUdall said:

It will be interesting to see who they do fill his void with at 610.
At least two, maybe three people if they're Asian.
Username checks out.
Diggity
AG
I mean, if you hear that voice, you do think of Houston sports...so I can get the comment
tommyjohn
More time for his acting career.

Maybe the can tell more stories about his role in HOF voting.
Al Bula
AG
Was it ever confirmed that he was banging Anna-Megan?!
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
You think she had to do anything more than laugh and pat his knee when they talked about cheerleaders' bodies?
maroon barchetta
Is Cal McNair actually John McClain's real identity?

Kind of a Higgins/Robbin Masters situation?

Furlock Bones
AG
Cal is living it up now. It's pretty hilarious.
Big Cat `93
AG
maroon barchetta said:

Kind of a Higgins/Robbin Masters situation?
ccolley68
AG
Wouldn't you if your sole purpose in life was to own your dads NFL team with a couple $B in your pocket?
cypress-ag
AG
I'm embarrassed Cal went to CyFair but fitting he is a sip.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.