Houston
Sponsored by

Taste of Texas?

5,224 Views | 61 Replies | Last: 13 days ago by montanagriz
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
For some reason videos of this place always pop up on my social media. I pass it by frequently when I'm in Houston always think of trying it. Board thoughts on it?
The Last Cobra Commander
schmellba99
AG
It gets a bad rap on here (at times) because of the salad bar and because they don't use prime beef, or didn't anyway, not sure if anything has changed.

Overall though, they make a damn good steak and it's definitely a solid option if you want a steak night with the Missus.
htxag09
AG
If you've never been I'd definitely say it's worth at least one visit.
RustyBV
AG
They take reservations now so you no longer have to wait 1.5 hrs while eating free popcorn. Their block of cheese at the salad bar is one great invention, wish more places had that.
BMX Bandit
great place to take the family for steaks.

i don't think its a good option for date night.
jetch17
AG
Cinnamon butter & cheese block
WestHoustonAg79
Pretty unique atmosphere. It's kind of on an island on its own if you tried to name a similar establishment with same quality. Lots of history with it. They are a great family and host elem school field trips DAILY. If you grow up going to HISD or SBISD schools (Katy isd prob too. Idk) it was like a right of passage for your 4th grade field trip.

Good folks from my understanding. My wife (no, not "the rib" Smdh lol) taught at an HISD elementary for 9 years and was in charge of booking that one every year.

Pretty fun you can go back and pick you your steak or the cut of it and watch them cut it to your requested size.

Tldr: kinda like a high end roadhouse meets west Houston quality/ambiance. Solid steak and great community ambassadors. If looking for a Pappas type steakhouse it is not for you.
Diggity
AG
good summary
texasaggie2015
AG
I enjoy it.
jetch17
AG
Haven't been in forever - need to change that soon
Texaggie7nine
As others said. It's not the best steak in Houston you will find, however it's something every Houstonian should experience at least once.
7nine
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
Quote:

Good folks from my understanding

I worked with Edd briefly on something many years ago, and he seemed like a good guy. Pretty sharp and straightforward.
AustinCountyAg
the jalapeno cheese cornbread.

not the fanciest of places, but I've ate prolly ten different things off the menu there over the years and all have been great. If you're looking for romantic, it isn't that but its a solid place for a nicer/casual dinner celebration with friends and family.
KDubAg
AG
I wasn't impress with the steak for the price. Salt grass is better IMO for taste. But the atmosphere was neat. I recommend to go during Christmas time when they have all the Christmas decor up.
jetch17
AG
Slice of Heaven dessert gives me a boner.

just say its your birthday and theyll stick a sparkler in it and take your picture - in fact if its your actual birthday, its on the house usually.
El Gallo Blanco
BMX Bandit said:

This. Great place to take foreigners too...it's a place a lot of Asians have circled before even booking their business trip to Houston. It's a great meal without being too cheesy...pretty authentically "Texan" all around.
El Gallo Blanco
WestHoustonAg79 said:

Good folks from my understanding.
Ed's wife is good people. She's definitely pretty formal and almost comes across as a first lady or a senator. But she'll cut up with you and makes a habit of swinging by all the tables personally to see how everything's going when she's around. Last time we were there, there was a black working class looking single mother with her 4-5 year old daughter celebrating her birthday. I am guessing Mrs. Hendee either knew them or they had crossed paths somehow before, but she kept stopping by to hang out with them and give the girl attention and held her in her arms a few times...no homo, but it was pretty heartwarming to see and gave me a new respect for the owners.
texasaggie2015
AG
AustinCountyAg said:

the jalapeno cheese cornbread.

not the fanciest of places, but I've ate prolly ten different things off the menu there over the years and all have been great. If you're looking for romantic, it isn't that but its a solid place for a nicer/casual dinner celebration with friends and family.
Next time put some of the apple butter on it. Sounds weird, but trust me.
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
Don't be afraid to try non-steak options at a steakhouse. Been forever, but I remember all the other stuff being good.
jetch17
AG
the fried jalapeno stuffed shrimp ... lordy.
Cibalo
Been a few times including earlier this week. Random Tuesday early dinner and it was packed. Had reservations so not a long wait for a table. Always treated well, steaks are great, some of best sides of any steakhouse. The hot rolls stuffed with cheese are the stuff of dreams. Love the deep dish pecan pie with cinnamon ice cream.
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
Exactly the first thing I was thinking of.
I used to run with a bunch of Calvin Klein male models 25 years ago in DFW
Bert315
AG
They are good people. Back almost 40 years ago when I was an infant, Nina carried me around the place so my parents could have a quiet 1st anniversary dinner. Meant the world to my folks as I was a newborn and colicky.
Dr. Horrible
I never turn it down if someone else is paying.
BBRex
AG
We went for the first time in January. We had heard so much that we had really high expectations. The salad bar is legit, and so is the bread. The steaks were, well, okay. The old fashioned from the bar I wouldn't get again.

I would go back, but I would order something besides a steak and maybe just have a beer.
TexAgs1992
Taste of Texas is the ****
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
We go for our anniversary nearly every year. We get our steaks with extra garlic butter on the hot plate, medium rare so that it keeps cooking a bit more, and love the hot bread with the cinnamon butter. It is a nice atmosphere.
#FJB
Jock 07
AG
I'm one of the ones who dismissed it cause of poor experience in the quality of steaks in the past. My folks gave my wife and me a gift card for a date night over Christmas and I actually thought the ribeye was pretty solid.
Jock 07
AG
Cy-Fair ISD as well, at least back in the day when I was growing up.
AMW2010
AG
The salad bar is my favorite part!! Whys that get a bad rap per the 2nd poster?!? I make the best damn salad in the planet there!! And bread and cinnamon butter!!
AgCPA95
AG
This is the most rational, level-headed thread I've read on TOT over all my years on Texags...what has gotten into us? As someone noted, don't sleep on the non-steak items if you are going to try and compare the ribeye to Pappas Bros or something similar. By the way, the prime rib is pretty tasty.
TXTransplant
My BF loves that place, mostly because of the rolls and salad bar.

I've only been once, and I enjoyed it. But the last couple of times we tried to make a reservation, they've been booked at least two weeks out (unless you want to eat at 3 pm or after 8 pm). So, just a heads up to plan ahead if you want to go on a specific date.
sts7049
AG
El Gallo Blanco said:

BMX Bandit said:

This. Great place to take foreigners too...it's a place a lot of Asians have circled before even booking their business trip to Houston. It's a great meal without being too cheesy...pretty authentically "Texan" all around.
my argentine colleagues loved the place as well. they still talk about the tomahawk
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
Taste of Texas is where I take out-of-state folks. Same concept for Pappadeaux's. Both are great in the purpose they serve.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.