Houston
Sponsored by

Taste of Texas?

5,229 Views | 61 Replies | Last: 13 days ago by montanagriz
AustinCountyAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
texasaggie2015 said:

AustinCountyAg said:

the jalapeno cheese cornbread.

not the fanciest of places, but I've ate prolly ten different things off the menu there over the years and all have been great. If you're looking for romantic, it isn't that but its a solid place for a nicer/casual dinner celebration with friends and family.
Next time put some of the apple butter on it. Sounds weird, but trust me.
I do exactly the same thing. It hits all the flavor profile. sweet, salty, spicy.

H-town ag
AG
Great people. The Hendees are the type of people that do so much behind the scenes to help others in need and desire zero credit or attention. They were struggling restaurant owners decades ago and developed an incredible world class customer service business. I have heard them give a presentation before about how they invite other non-restaurant business owners / managers into their weekly team meetings to be share how they train for excellent customer service.

With that said, places like Pappas Steakhouse is in a different class, but I have no problems spending my $$ at a place like Taste of Texas.
I Am A Critic
H-town ag said:

Great people. The Hendees are the type of people that do so much behind the scenes to help others in need and desire zero credit or attention. They were struggling restaurant owners decades ago and developed an incredible world class customer service business. I have heard them give a presentation before about how they invite other non-restaurant business owners / managers into their weekly team meetings to be share how they train for excellent customer service.

With that said, places like Pappas Steakhouse is in a different class, but I have no problems spending my $$ at a place like Taste of Texas.
That is laughable. They do a lot of good but it's usually Nina or Edd who's pointing out to everyone the good they've done.
Username checks out.
htxag09
AG
El Gallo Blanco said:

BMX Bandit said:

great place to take the family for steaks.

i don't think its a good option for date night.
This. Great place to take foreigners too...it's a place a lot of Asians have circled before even booking their business trip to Houston. It's a great meal without being too cheesy...pretty authentically "Texan" all around.
Wonder if the Iraq Prime Minister...or whoever it was...went here and shut down the I-10 / BW8 area as well?
The Milkman
AG
WestHoustonAg79 said:

Pretty unique atmosphere. It's kind of on an island on its own if you tried to name a similar establishment with same quality. Lots of history with it. They are a great family and host elem school field trips DAILY. If you grow up going to HISD or SBISD schools (Katy isd prob too. Idk) it was like a right of passage for your 4th grade field trip.

...Yall took field trips to a restaurant?
jetch17
AG
The Milkman said:

WestHoustonAg79 said:

Pretty unique atmosphere. It's kind of on an island on its own if you tried to name a similar establishment with same quality. Lots of history with it. They are a great family and host elem school field trips DAILY. If you grow up going to HISD or SBISD schools (Katy isd prob too. Idk) it was like a right of passage for your 4th grade field trip.

Who didn't growing up in Houston - we went in 4th grade

I still remember parking lot horse carriage rides at the OG town & country location after dinner

Diggity
AG
The Milkman said:

WestHoustonAg79 said:

indeed. They had a little "Texas History Museum" attached to the old location, so I think that's how they rationalized it.

10 year old fatty me just loved the half hamburger and fries they had at the end.
WES2006AG
AG
As others have mentioned it is Choice beef at Prime prices which keeps me away. Steakhouses are too expensive to not get what you are paying for.
Diggity
AG
I don't think they really charge "prime prices" though. Steaks are less than any of the fancier places, and include the side and salad bar.
WES2006AG
AG
Diggity said:

I don't think they really charge "prime prices" though. Steaks are less than any of the fancier places, and include the side and salad bar.
You might be right when you factor in everything else being a la carte at the nicer steakhouses.
Diggity
AG
someone else mentioned it, but I really like the prime rib over there. Get the larger portion, add a salad bar, and two can stuff their faces for 80 bucks.
El Gallo Blanco
AgCPA95 said:

This is the most rational, level-headed thread I've read on TOT over all my years on Texags...what has gotten into us? As someone noted, don't sleep on the non-steak items if you are going to try and compare the ribeye to Pappas Bros or something similar. By the way, the prime rib is pretty tasty.

El Gallo Blanco
htxag09 said:

El Gallo Blanco said:

BMX Bandit said:

great place to take the family for steaks.

i don't think its a good option for date night.
This. Great place to take foreigners too...it's a place a lot of Asians have circled before even booking their business trip to Houston. It's a great meal without being too cheesy...pretty authentically "Texan" all around.
Wonder if the Iraq Prime Minister...or whoever it was...went here and shut down the I-10 / BW8 area as well?
Would not surprise me one bit...guy's clearly a jerk.
The Milkman
AG
jetch17 said:

The Milkman said:

WestHoustonAg79 said:

Who didn't growing up in Houston - we went in 4th grade

I still remember parking lot horse carriage rides at the OG town & country location after dinner

Ha no I definitely did. But that was around the time we did the Blue Barn Fun Farm.
P.H. Dexippus
AG
I Am A Critic said:

H-town ag said:

That is laughable. They do a lot of good but it's usually Nina or Edd who's pointing out to everyone the good they've done.

Lame take. You have several anecdotes on this thread alone of the Hendees altruism that aren't advertised by them. I'll throw in another one- they speak at churches (including ones they don't attend) about the importance of marriage, their struggles and keys to a successful one. Helped me. They aren't compensated and don't brag about it. Don't be an envious hater.

Oh, and the steaks and Texas history are great too.
AustinCountyAg
I enjoy the sports memorabilia to look at in the bathroom when peeing
I Am A Critic

You have no idea what my personal experience is. Your have yours, I have mine. You have your opinion, I have mine. STFU and move along if you disagree.

[We disagree with how you posted your opinion and now you get to take your own advice for a month since this is not your first offense. -Staff]
Biz Ag
AG
Their grandson played LL baseball with my son years ago. The Hendees were always at the games. Nice people.
cab559
AG
The quality of ToT is fine. Steaks are good enough and I enjoy the different options on seasoning and butter.

You don't really go for the food. More of the experience and ambience.

Like someone said, go during Christmas. It's a family tradition for my wife and two boys. We love the salad bar and giant chocolate cake.
TRL-Ag
Yes sir. We went in 4th grade because of all the Texas History artifacts.

Our teachers told us they got buffalo tongue for lunch.

We go every year for my mom's birthday. It's a great steakhouse & anyone that says Saltgrass makes a better steak has no taste buds
Chewy
AG
We gonna talk about the Christmas decorations or just focus on the salad bar and/or personal relationships/aggravations?
WestHoustonAg79
I Am A Critic said:

You have no idea what my personal experience is. Your have yours, I have mine. You have your opinion, I have mine. STFU and move along if you disagree.

[We disagree with how you posted your opinion and now you get to take your own advice for a month since this is not your first offense. -Staff]

Lolz. Someone struck a nerve with this loon
GayTennisFan
I love this place especially after a good game of tennis.
dBoy99
AG
Taste of Texas is probably the best value and quality if you want something between Saltgrass/Outback/Roadhouse and Pappa's/Ruth's Chris/Perry's.

We go several times a year and have never had a bad experience.
SockDePot
I Am A Critic said:

I would say taste of Texas is probably a top 10, but not a top 5 in Houston.

I've never had a bad meal there, but I've also never had an amazing meal, it's good every time.

Pick up a tub of butter and their seasoning on the way out the doors.
Psycho Bunny
Didn't realize a streak thread can make people so salty.
montanagriz
S
My favorite place to eat in houston
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.