Houston
Sponsored by

Pearl Beer

3,366 Views | 49 Replies | Last: 13 days ago by Sea Speed
maroon barchetta
How long do you want to ignore this user?
fishag04 said:

MAROON said:

My grandfather worked for Lone Star for 45 years. My Mom's second cousin worked for Pearl for the same amount of time. We would take family camping trips to Lake Corpus Christi and one side of the campground was Lone Star and the other Pearl, and both sides talking **** about how bad the other side's beer was.

Redneck Heaven it was.

I was weaned on Lone Star

Lake Mathis!

Chewy
AG
Damn. We got some Lake Mathis people up in here.

Was there a place called Sleepy Hollow? My uncle had a place near there. I think my uncle got rid of his place when I was about ten so my memory is a bit fuzzy on it's exact location.

Great memories out there.

As for Pearl, I grew up in South Texas in the 80s. All kinds of memories of that stuff. The country of 1100 springs.

Funny enough, Pearl Light only had 68 calories. It was athleisure beer before such a thing even existed. Or it was just extremely watered down with very little taste…

Kind of like the athleisure beers now…
maroon barchetta
I went to scout camp at Lake Mathis.
schmellba99
AG
Used to drink Pearl at the Chicken back in the late 90's, 2000 or so. We also had a special case of Schlitz for us for a while that Hans brought in after getting tired of us asking for it.

Good times.
AustinCountyAg
Chewy said:

Damn. We got some Lake Mathis people up in here.

Was there a place called Sleepy Hollow? My uncle had a place near there. I think my uncle got rid of his place when I was about ten so my memory is a bit fuzzy on it's exact location.

Great memories out there.

As for Pearl, I grew up in South Texas in the 80s. All kinds of memories of that stuff. The country of 1100 springs.

Funny enough, Pearl Light only had 68 calories. It was athleisure beer before such a thing even existed. Or it was just extremely watered down with very little taste

Kind of like the athleisure beers now…
it was not. Pearl Light was/is damn delicious
randy828
AG
rednecked said:

I have two lasting memories of Pearl.

1. As a kid we used to walk the mediums and roadsides collecting beer cans to sell at the recycler. I can't see the Pearl logo without remembering the smell of old hot beer. I recall thinking it really stank but also somehow smelled good too...

2. 1983 as a Junior in Bryan High School my best friend and I managed to get tickets to see Triumph at George R Brown Convention center in Houston (as Randall "Pink" Floyd would say, Top priority of the summer!). We conned my mother into letting me borrow her car and rent a motel in Houston for the weekend. We went to the concert and when we walked in, already pretty drunk, I saw the Pearl beer stand. With all the boldness I could muster I walked up and ordered 2. No hesitation on the dudes part. he handed me 2-32 oz beers! I remember very little about the rest of the night.

Apr 16, 1983

Foghat/Triumph
Never Surrender Tour
Sam Houston Coliseum, Houston, Texas
I saw Triumph at The Summit around 1985. Fantastic show.

Quote:

Band Line-up

Triumph
Molly Hatchet
Concert Details

Date:Saturday, February 09, 1985Venue: The Summit, Houston, Texas

maroon barchetta
I was at that one.

Incredible show.
Courtesy Flush
AG
My love for Pearl was founded at the Chicken in the early 90's. I got quite good at the puzzles under the bottle caps.

Today I am proud to say that I was able to get my hands on some of the old wood that was in the Pearl Brewery in San Antonio. I recently built out a loft in a barn I own and I used that wood in the loft.
rednecked
AG
randy828 said:

rednecked said:

I have two lasting memories of Pearl.

1. As a kid we used to walk the mediums and roadsides collecting beer cans to sell at the recycler. I can't see the Pearl logo without remembering the smell of old hot beer. I recall thinking it really stank but also somehow smelled good too...

2. 1983 as a Junior in Bryan High School my best friend and I managed to get tickets to see Triumph at George R Brown Convention center in Houston (as Randall "Pink" Floyd would say, Top priority of the summer!). We conned my mother into letting me borrow her car and rent a motel in Houston for the weekend. We went to the concert and when we walked in, already pretty drunk, I saw the Pearl beer stand. With all the boldness I could muster I walked up and ordered 2. No hesitation on the dudes part. he handed me 2-32 oz beers! I remember very little about the rest of the night.

Apr 16, 1983

Foghat/Triumph
Never Surrender Tour
Sam Houston Coliseum, Houston, Texas
I saw Triumph at The Summit around 1985. Fantastic show.

Quote:

Band Line-up

Triumph
Molly Hatchet
Concert Details

Date:Saturday, February 09, 1985Venue: The Summit, Houston, Texas

only other solid memory I have of that show was when Foghat played Slow Ride they had strippers dancing on top of the speaker stacks. that song has always held a special place in my heart thanks to that!
Oh and one other thing of interest was outside the concert hall there were Guardian Angels all over the place providing security. I don't remember there being any issues though.
AJ02
AG
My Aggie cousin used to work at the Pearl brewery in San Antonio. Every Christmas he'd give out Pearl swag. Wish I still had some of it. I can remember being 6 years old and wearing a Pearl t shirt as my nightgown.
MAROON
AG
We always had those family outings at Sunset Beach at Lake Mathis
htxag09
AG
MAROON said:

We always had those family outings at Sunset Beach at Lake Mathis
We camped there every summer and would ride the boat over to sunset beach for ice cream at least once every trip.
herb96
AG
Was our go-to, Appletree? had it for 4.99 a case.
aTmneal
AG
Diggity said:

He drank Pearl in a can and Jack Daniel's Black

Man, haven't heard that song in years. Can you quote the full lyrics to the song? I can't seem to remember how it goes.
Sea Speed
AG
Chewed tobacco from a mail pouch sack
Had an old dog that was trained to attack.
...sometimes

He'd get drunk and mean as a rattlesnake
But there wasn't too much he wouldn't take...from a stranger.

I know most of it but can't recall the order right now.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.