Houston
Sponsored by

Multiple Social Security cards going missing in the mail

1,293 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 10 days ago by AJ02
cryption
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'm having a real hassle with my post office.

Our son was Born March 31 - and his Social Security card was issued April 2 and mailed out via US Mail. We have informed Delivery that shows a scan of the mail that comes every day - and we saw that his card was to be delivered on April 8 - along with a bunch of other mail. Everything arrived EXCEPT the Social Security card.

We submitted a missing letter to the post office and a ticket was opened. We got a call the next day saying that the mail is not tracked and we'll need to request another card.

On the 10th I go to the Social Security office and wait the 4 hours to request a new card. The SS office says there is no other delivery method aside from standard mail. I'm worried that the replacement card won't show up either - but I have no other option so I request the card.

In the meantime, on 4/18 the first card FINALLY shows up - in my neighbor's mailbox. Where was it those 10 days? How was it misdelivered 10 days AFTER we submitted a complaint? Seems a little suspect.

Informed delivery shows that the second card was to be delivered Friday 4/19 along with a bunch of other mail. Guess what wasn't in our mailbox 4/19? You guessed it - the SECOND SS card. We submitted a second missing mail request and opened another ticket. I got a call from Sandy with the USPS and said the same thing - the mail is not tracked and I'll have to request another card. So his replacement SS card is floating out in the mail somewhere - or more likely stolen and sold. My newborn child has likely already had his identity stolen from within the post office.

The thing is, informed delivery shows the cards were supposed to be delivered. We have a locked mailbox in a cluster. So somewhere between when the post office scans the letter for informed delivery - and being delivered to the mailbox - the card disappeared TWICE. Once I could agree there is some sort of mistake but twice seems malicious.

They told me to request the card AGAIN (this would be #3 though thankfully I have the one that showed up in my neighbor's mailbox). Social Security cards have a limit on the # you can request per year and over a lifetime - and even if I were to request a third what is the likelihood that it would actually arrive in my mailbox? Literally it was the only thing missing out of everything that informed delivery showed - TWICE.

Something is going on. SS cards are often times stolen from mailboxes - it almost seems like it's happening from within the post office as I have a locked box and it never makes it there. How else would 2 cards go missing within a couple weeks and all other mail is delivered successfully? We've had a Voter ID card suffer this same fate in the past as well.

The other stick in the eye is the USPS literally doesn't care. The voicemails they leave are rude, and basically saying screw you we don't care about your mail. There should be a better process from the SS office for sure - but that'll never change. The mail in Houston has been a problem for a long time - and this is an example of how I've been personally impacted.

The post office needs to be investigated but no postal employees will do it or help the residents. What a serious PITA. Just venting. I did email my councilwoman Amy Peck but I don't expect anything to come of that either.
elfurioso92
AG
It may have been placed in the wrong mailbox the first time as well and instead of just bringing it to you someone dropped it into the outgoing mail slot, then it took ten days to make its way back to being misdelivered again. I always cringe when some important document is coming by USPS, they are the worst.
Ag_07
AG
cryption said:

My newborn child has likely already had his identity stolen from within the post office.

This is quite the stretch.
cryption
That's entirely possible but still unacceptable. Still though where is the second? Informed delivery had both cards shown to be delivered - I don't know at what point in the delivery process those scans happen

I wish the SS office would let me ship the cards there and just pick it up
Jack Cheese
AG
Unionized public workers.
TarponChaser
Ag_07 said:

cryption said:

My newborn child has likely already had his identity stolen from within the post office.

Not really.

It may be a stretch to say that it's "likely" but identity theft of kids is pretty common.
cryption
It's for sure not a stretch at all. It's literally a thing that happens. If you don't believe me just Google it, plenty of infants with compromised identities from stolen cards. There are groups that it's all they do - it's a job.

It's a prevalent enough problem that when I called the credit bureaus to figure out what I should do to protect him - they have a process already established.
MelvinUdall
TarponChaser said:

Ag_07 said:

cryption said:

Not really.

It may be a stretch to say that it's "likely" but identity theft of kids is pretty common.

Yep, they target kids identity because it is not found until years later when they apply for any type of credit.
Ag_07
AG
I'm not saying it doesn't happen, or that it's unheard of, or that it's not common among children.

But going from the SS cards not showing up in the mail to my kid's identity is likely stolen as a result of an inside job at USPS is a stretch.
MelvinUdall
Ag_07 said:

I'm not saying it doesn't happen, or that it's unheard of, or that it's not common among children.

But going from the SS cards not showing up in the mail to my kid's identity is likely stolen as a result of an inside job at USPS is a stretch.

Not really, happens a lot more than you know.
cryption
Speaking of …. What a coincidence

https://abc13.com/usps-north-houston-distribution-center-stolen-certified-mail-check-theft/14734930/
maroon barchetta
cryption said:

Speaking of …. What a coincidence

https://abc13.com/usps-north-houston-distribution-center-stolen-certified-mail-check-theft/14734930/

Shocking.
WorthAg95
AG
Ag_07 said:

You've never dealt with the Judiway PO
AJ02
AG
I got a notice the other day that my SSN was found on the dark web due to a leak at AT&T (thanks, AT&T...I haven't even done business with them in years.)

I went online and put a "lock" on my SSN. So now if anyone tries to run it, they won't be able to. I just have to remember to unlock it before I need my credit run or anything verified for employment.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.