Houston
Sponsored by

Need Roofing Company in Spring

1,479 Views | 24 Replies | Last: 4 days ago by histag10
MattAg98
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My roof is 19 years old and needs to be replaced. There's no major hail damage so I will not be using insurance.
I have one quote so far but they quoted $19k which was double what I was anticipating. Any recommendations would be appreciated. TIA
PilotRoofing
Sponsor
Happy to help with a bid! You can reach me through our website pilotroof.com or travis@pilotroof.com
ktownag08
AG
Give Troy Hampe at Guardian Roofing a shout. Came out to do a last minute, quick repair job for us, and was super fair on the price.
Cibalo
Call Alex at Frontier Roofing. I have used him many times to maintain and fix other roofers mistakes.
AJ02
AG
We just had ours replaced. From two different companies, our quotes were between $19-20k. So I think that's sadly just the going rate these days.
Jason_InfinityRoofer
Unfortunately, without a roof measurement, there is no way use a price alone as an estimate. Measurements are easily done with satellite these days. I've done $6,000 dollar roofs and $100,000 dollar roofs on the residential side. There is no such thing as an average price. 19k might be great, might be high, might be low.

Get a few estimates and lay them side by side and see what you're really getting. My warranty is 5-10 years, others are 1-5, for instance. See what each company is actually installing and compare it against your pricing.
AJ02
AG
Just curious....this isn't a situation with your company, but just wondering what happens when a roofing company offers a 5-10 year warranty, and then they go out of business?
MattAg98
AG
Apparently, that is the going rate. I just had two more quotes and it looks like the cost has doubled from pre-covid days. I'm going to go throw up now.
AJ02
AG
Just curious how it's possible you live in Houston with a 19 year old roof with no hail damage?

We bought our house in 2015 and it had a brand new roof put on the day before we moved in. It has since had hail damage.

We had it replaced end of last year. Another storm hit and a branch landed on our roof. Had adjuster come out, and he found more hail damage.
ccolley68
AG
Just wait til we get the next decent storm and you should have plenty knocking on your door and cruising the neighborhood trying to drum up some business.
Sooper Jeenyus
AG
ccolley68 said:

Just wait til we get the next decent storm and you should have plenty knocking on your door and cruising the neighborhood trying to drum up some business.
This is my plan.
StillNotAnAggie
AJ02 said:

Just curious how it's possible you live in Houston with a 19 year old roof with no hail damage?

We bought our house in 2015 and it had a brand new roof put on the day before we moved in. It has since had hail damage.

We had it replaced end of last year. Another storm hit and a branch landed on our roof. Had adjuster come out, and he found more hail damage.

My house was built in 2006, original roof. According to Jason, who I believe, I have substantial hail damage. According to my former insurance company, 3 adjusters and a hired engineer, who they hired, I have no hail damage. So it's possible, especially if your insurance company pulled out of Texas and is hot garbage who refuses to pay outb claims, but apparently, according to them, somehow it's possible.

I should add, that almost every house on my street has gotten a new roof in the past 3 years using hail claims. Now I'm just waiting for the next big storm.
AJ02
AG
That's crazy. We have Amica and they've been fantastic for us.
Aggie71013
AG
And people wonder why insurance rates are skyrocketing. If every person gets a new roof every 3 to 5 years we will all pay 10s of thousands in homeowners insurance.

Obviously there are other circumstances (floods, hurricanes, freezes, increased cost of materials and labor), but frequent hail claims will do nothing but raise rates.
ccolley68
AG
Aggie71013 said:

And people wonder why insurance rates are skyrocketing. If every person gets a new roof every 3 to 5 years we will all pay 10s of thousands in homeowners insurance.

Obviously there are other circumstances (floods, hurricanes, freezes, increased cost of materials and labor), but frequent hail claims will do nothing but raise rates.

And you don't need a new roof EVERY time it hails. Not to mention around here we rarely get hail big enough to really do damage. It like my wife freaking out every time the conditions are possible for a tornado as if that means we are going to get a Kansas/Okalhoma style F5 tornado that rips the town and throws it in another county.
Rexter
Scott Zyblott
(713) 582-2562
Restoration Roofing & Remodeling
Located in Spring
Geno
AG
If your roof is damaged we can't help with replacement, just minor repairs. Flashing, nail pops, etc. Bad roofs need replacement and damaged roofs need repairs.

But if it's a good roof, and you haven't lost too many granules just yet, we maybe a good option for you. We aren't roofers. We spray on a soybean oil derived conditioner that keeps the asphalt fresh and stops granular loss.

HuntingAg96
I work for Mitchell Roofing and Exteriors. I'd love to help you. Donald Inglet '96. 713-252-8920.
Dr. Venkman
AG
If you're not involving insurance, cruise the neighborhood and look for a crew replacing a roof and get a quote directly from them, cash.

I just got a roof at a rental property replaced. Quotes from two acquaintances who have roofing companies came in a $11,500 and $12,000. Crew in the neighborhood quoted $6200 on the spot.

You're paying a markup for a white face, the quote to come with a nice letterhead, office staff, and liability insurance. If you don't care about any of that (and can speak a little Spanish), then go to the crew directly. It's probably the same crew that will be replacing the roof anyway.
Maximus Johnson
AG
Dr. Venkman said:

If you're not involving insurance, cruise the neighborhood and look for a crew replacing a roof and get a quote directly from them, cash.

I just got a roof at a rental property replaced. Quotes from two acquaintances who have roofing companies came in a $11,500 and $12,000. Crew in the neighborhood quoted $6200 on the spot.

You're paying a markup for a white face, the quote to come with a nice letterhead, office staff, and liability insurance. If you don't care about any of that (and can speak a little Spanish), then go to the crew directly. It's probably the same crew that will be replacing the roof anyway.
TRUE DAT
htxag09
AG
A little over a year ago we had a minor roof leak. We had it repaired but I still wanted to replace the roof. It was 20+ years old and we knew we were in the process of looking at at new houses so knew it would be beneficial to have a new roof regardless of selling or leasing.

We were going to pay out of pocket because it wasn't damage from a storm, it was just old.

First 2 or 3 roofing companies I called gave me the exact same blurb about how their system showed my house had a hail storm w/in x months and they could work with my insurance to replace. Their quote for insurance was $20+k.

I said, no, not going that route, paying out of pocket. All of a sudden their quotes were $10-12k.

I went with someone who I know is local and has done a decent amount in the area, didn't give me the bloated insurance number, and worked with me and the owner of the attached townhome. Final cost of my roof was like $7.5k.
rancher1953
Jason with Infinity Roofing is who you need to contact for the best roofing job at the right price. Jason has done two roofs for my family all jobs sets the standards for other to follow. In the recent hail storm in Bellville. Jason was on the spot the next day and was one of the most requested roofers. Ask those in Bellville who recently used him and you will find nothing buy high praise for his work. You will thank me later.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
I just don't understand how we can't engineer a roofing system to withstand a common hail storm.
Jason_InfinityRoofer
AJ02 said:

Just curious....this isn't a situation with your company, but just wondering what happens when a roofing company offers a 5-10 year warranty, and then they go out of business?

It depends on the warranty the roofer offered. If it's through their company, and they go out of business, then you're out of luck.

Our certifications are:

Owens Corning Platinum
GAF Master Elite
Certainteed Select Shinglemaster

So for instance, the 10 year I offer on GAF, that's through GAF. We install it, if I go out of business tomorrow, GAF carries it. Same with Owens Corning. We've been around 20 years, but the shingle companies have been around a lot longer and they likely aren't going out of business.

We just have to carry the certification, which we do, we have to install per the requirements of that warranty, which we do, and we have to register the warranty, which we also do just because it's the only way to assure it's been registered and is valid.

That's for workmanship warranties. These manufacturers and others usually come with lifetime warranties against defects. That's out of the box, automatically.

As with any warranty, the details are what matter and many times those long term warranty (Certainteed has a 25 year or more) isn't worth it because in 9 years golf ball hail falls on it and everything is out the window.

As for engineering roofs for hail, products have come a long way. They exist. The issue is that the cost of these, like a Class 4 shingle, are usually not worth the cost when you consider someone in Austin is going to get hail that exceeds the impact ratings and they get damaged. Plus, insurance companies are starting to back out of paying claims when you have impact resistant shingles, so I have been told. If you go through insurance, the deductible for replacing a standard arch shingle is less than the upgrade cost in most cases. That said Malarkey is my go to for Class 4. It's reasonable.

Personally, I am a standing seam metal guy. It's impact resistant. I have it on my home now. Some people just can't stomach the cost of it and some HOA don't allow it even if you want it, and if you aren't in a house long term, it's not worth it, in my opinion. However, I get hail on the hill country somewhat regularly and the roof simply isn't something I worry about when it happens. This last storm had slightly bigger than golf ball sized hail and there are maybe two hits that are only visible up close. In Hondo, I did several metal roofs after the big storm a few years ago, and that was baseball and bigger hail. Even those roofs while damaged, did not leak in many cases. It's a stout product.
histag10
AG

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.