Houston
Sponsored by

Generac generator

1,597 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 8 days ago by Astroag
taba82
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm looking for anyone who's had a Generac home generator installed in the past few years and would recommend the distributor who installed it.
Mike
Aggie Band '82
SlackerAg
AG
Had a 24kW unit installed by Grasten 6 months ago, based on recs from this site. Been pleased with their service.

For generator sizing & price quotes, they're unique in that they have a web portal for entering power usage (A/C size, appliances, pool, etc.), measured gas line length & uploading photos (where it will be installed & your gas meter).
Agz_2003
AG
SlackerAg said:

Had a 24kW unit installed by Grasten 6 months ago, based on recs from this site. Been pleased with their service.

For generator sizing & price quotes, they're unique in that they have a web portal for entering power usage (A/C size, appliances, pool, etc.), measured gas line length & uploading photos (where it will be installed & your gas meter).
I've seen you can buy a 22kw Generac at Sam's Club for around $6k. Any idea what their installation costs would be if I were to go that route and purchase independently?
taba82
AG
SlackerAg said:

Much thanks for the recommendation... I've heard positive comments from non-TexAgs folks about Grasten. If you are willing to say, do you recall what your "all in" cost were for the 24kW?
Mike
Aggie Band '82
SlackerAg
AG
Not sure if that will be cheaper. You will also need the automatic transfer switch too.

When I looked at window blinds from companies thru Costco they were more expensive (middleman always gets a cut).
SlackerAg
AG
rosco511
AG
I was just quoted $13.2k all in cash price by Grasten for a 24kw Generac. Generator Supercenter initially quoted higher but then was willing to beat any Grasten offer by $500, but the pricing was essentially the same because Generac's quote includes the first year of maintenance and monitoring but Generator Supercenter's does not. I ultimately went with Grasten because I hate the price quote game playing as I just want the best up front offer.
Nitro Power
AG
Agz_2003 said:

SlackerAg said:

I've seen you can buy a 22kw Generac at Sam's Club for around $6k. Any idea what their installation costs would be if I were to go that route and purchase independently?

I did this of sorts. If you can avoid it, I would go with a turnkey installation.
BQ04
AG
We worked with Generator Supercenter last year. Awful experience. Would NOT recommend.

They took our deposit, then "lost" our order. 8 weeks went by and we had to go to the back of the line. 8 weeks later, the gen showed up but the serial number didn't exist according to the manufacturer upon registering for the warranty. Two weeks later we were turned on, but then it wouldn't communicate with the monitor....painful.

Neighbors and in-laws used them as well, no complaints. I suppose I was the unlucky one.
MAS444
AG
I got multiple bids and ended up using Generator Supercenter. All went very smooth. And of course we haven't needed it once since then.
halibut sinclair
Bought a 10kw Generac from Sam's and installed an interlock and 30 amp plug. Total cost was less than $1500. We can power the whole house in winter, and everything but the a/c in summer, so we have a 14,000 BTU portable a/c just in case.
AgLiving06
halibut sinclair said:

Bought a 10kw Generac from Sam's and installed an interlock and 30 amp plug. Total cost was less than $1500. We can power the whole house in winter, and everything but the a/c in summer, so we have a 14,000 BTU portable a/c just in case.

10kw should start an AC. Especially if you put a hard or soft start on the unit.
halibut sinclair
AgLiving06 said:

halibut sinclair said:

10kw should start an AC. Especially if you put a hard or soft start on the unit.

Yeah, I've read conflicting reports. I think it would work, but don't want to chance it. It's a 4 ton unit.
CowtownAg06
AG
I moved into a house 3 years ago that had one installed by Generator Supercenter. They've done maintenance on it and are very responsive. They were actually here today. Sounds like the person that had a bad experience is probably an outlier. (However, that series of events would have sent me over the edge too).
Agasaurus Tex
AG
Very satisfied with Collaborative Services installation two years ago. They took care of everything including the city permit and electrical and plumbing inspections after the install.
bayouaggie
AG
Used Grasten about 3 years ago on my 24kw unit. Very pleased with install and all the aftermarket service and support. Great folks to work with.
LostInLA07
AG
Agz_2003 said:

SlackerAg said:

Double the gen cost for a quick approximation but it could be a lot more depending on length of electrical runs. Grasten is great.

Not sure why people don't just put in the biggest air cooled unit. The cost difference is minimal at the end of the day because install labor doesn't really change. You might save $1k but then have to make sure your kids don't turn on the microwave while the washing machine is running or the A/C kicks on. At that point why did you pay for a standby generator instead of a gasoline one with extension cords or just a transfer switch and tri fuel unit for thousands less.
taba82
AG
bayouaggie said:

Used Grasten about 3 years ago on my 24kw unit. Very pleased with install and all the aftermarket service and support. Great folks to work with.
This is the same comment from a couple of friends who purchased theirs via Grasten. So far, they have quoted the lowest cost for a turnkey purchase/install.
Mike
Aggie Band '82
AlaskanAg99
AG
LostInLA07 said:

Agz_2003 said:

SlackerAg said:

Double the gen cost for a quick approximation but it could be a lot more depending on length of electrical runs. Grasten is great.

Not sure why people don't just put in the biggest air cooled unit. The cost difference is minimal at the end of the day because install labor doesn't really change. You might save $1k but then have to make sure your kids don't turn on the microwave while the washing machine is running or the A/C kicks on. At that point why did you pay for a standby generator instead of a gasoline one with extension cords or just a transfer switch and tri fuel unit for thousands less.

Thousands less here. Scaled for intermittent use daily, keep the house tolerable and fridge/freezers cold. Cam run AC and heat, not nearly as convenient as irs all manual, but goal is to get through 2 weeks before needing gas or its just time to relocate.

Folks have a generac. They're the Alamo if **** really goes sideways. Also have big solar battery packs to run a lot of other items in the shortterm.
bularry
what are annual service costs for those that have 22kw or larger installed?
taba82
AG
bularry said:

what are annual service costs for those that have 22kw or larger installed?
Graston charges $395 (includes Mobile Link)
Mike
Aggie Band '82
Astroag
AG
taba82 said:

I'm looking for anyone who's had a Generac home generator installed in the past few years and would recommend the distributor who installed it.

Had our master electrician install it…saved a few grand

If ya ain't cheatin, you ain't tryin!!!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.