Houston
Sponsored by

Lutheran North Academy to close-- sale price?

2,529 Views | 29 Replies | Last: 7 days ago by WestHoustonAg79
BMX Bandit
How long do you want to ignore this user?
lutheran north school on 34th near shepherd announced they are closing at end of year.

question for those that know. its about 257,000 feet of land, what the going rate to purchase? i imagine it will be apartment going in.
Panama Red
AG
Im hoping dry cleaner, check cashing place, hemp shop and boba tea go in.
htxag09
AG
Isn't that building fairly new?
BMX Bandit
not sure, but don't think so.
wessimo
AG
And some franchise fitness place like boxing or pilates or stationary bikes.
TX04Aggie
AG
Whats the reason? I figured with GOOF growing so much with wealthy folks and crappy HISD options that school would be bumpin
TexAgs1992
LN has had relatively poor leadership, teacher turnover, and not enough funding to hold its' ground. A number of my best friends attended LN around 2007-2011 toward the end of when it was still a solid private school option. Over the last 5-7 years, the school has been on sharp decline.
BBRex
AG
Granted the schools usually draw non-members, but I think the school is affiliated with the Lutheran Church Missouri Synod, which is pretty conservative. I know a lot of their churches and schools are struggling to get younger members.
TexAgs1992
BBRex said:

Granted the schools usually draw non-members, but I think the school is affiliated with the Lutheran Church Missouri Synod, which is pretty conservative. I know a lot of their churches and schools are struggling to get younger members.

Which is a shame because the LCMS is great. I attended Our Savior Lutheran School from 1998-2007 as a child and it shaped my faith and moral compass. Lutheran North's issue was more the quality of education and teacher took a nosedive in recent years.
W
AG
has Waltrip -- just down the road -- improved in recent years?

would have also been competing with St. Pius
AgLA06
AG
htxag09 said:

Isn't that building fairly new?
No.

Essentially the same warehouse they turned into a school decades ago. Just put some nice lipstick on the outside to make it look prettier.

The only thing newish is the basketball annex that played a decent part in leading to the decline of the school.
AgLA06
AG
BBRex said:

There's only 3 left in town that could send junor high graduates. OSL and St. Marks weren't exactly actively sending graduates as they did previously. LN was nothing like it used to be in regards to being aligned with LCMS. Which is part of the reason Memorial started a high school.
Aggie09Derek
AG
Why did the basketball annex play a part in the decline of the school?
AgLA06
AG
I'm not sure I remember the entire story, but they worked a deal to fund the annex in return for an AAU program to be headquartered there. Along the way they started prioritizing that program as enrollment fell some after an administration left / retired including admitting kids who weren't an academical or social fit. Which amplified enrollment dropping. And it spiraled from there including moving away from the LCMS base that could no longer solely support it.
Aggie09Derek
AG
I played basketball there in an adult league 10ish years ago. Had no idea about an AAU team.
W
AG
that corner of Alba & 34th was a grassy field back in the day

so the first building or oldest building on the site is approximately 45 years old
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
What was their peak enrollment?

I'm not sure I've ever met more than a few alums. Although, to be fair, most urban high schools, especially privates, were down a little during my high school years.

Also, aside from the inside baseball (or basketball, as it were) info, I would've guessed that the growth of Houston Christian High School might have contributed to declining enrollment at Lutheran North.
TexAgs1992
Jugstore Cowboy said:

What was their peak enrollment?

I'm not sure I've ever met more than a few alums. Although, to be fair, most urban high schools, especially privates, were down a little during my high school years.

Also, aside from the inside baseball (or basketball, as it were) info, I would've guessed that the growth of Houston Christian High School might have contributed to declining enrollment at Lutheran North.

This would be somewhat correct. Peak high school enrollment I want to say was around 350-360.
AgLA06
AG
I want to say it was a little over 400 at one point around the turn of the century.

We started out with like 115 in our freshman class, but graduated around 70.
Buck Turgidson
That is sad to hear. Our kids school plays Lutheran South in all kinds of sports, but I cannot recall playing Lutheran North in anything in a long time. I wonder if declining enrollment dropped them into a smaller TAPPS bracket.
Buck Turgidson
We went through a similar issue with the first school that our kids attended, Clay Road Baptist. It was a nice little K-8 school in a gentrifying part of Spring Branch but it just kept shrinking. When it got to the point that my boys would be the only boys in their grade, and the entire grade would only be six kids, we decided to move them. It was a real shame, because they had some great families and faculty. I don't know exactly what went wrong.
TXAG 05
AG
Hopefully they will turn it into bar/restaurant/retail and not put 500 townhomes on that lot.
Whoop Delecto
AG
AgLA06
AG
Whoop Delecto said:

LNA was down to about 75 students. Land is $20 million
$18M was the number LEA has been throwing around for the last couple of years. I just don't see it, but who knows.

It's probably the result they've been looking for a while now. They drew so much money away from North over the last couple of decades to fund the current South campus, the flood renovations of the South campus, and then Faith West it seemed the was always trying to get to this point of just closing North and selling the land.
txcincinnatus
AG
Interesting. That would make sense. The South campus faces a significantly less competitive private school market than North. Not a lot of other options in the broader clear lake, friendswood, league city area. Historically, the public schools have been very good and well attended, so there was not much of a need. I think that has shifted some, particularly at middle school grades, which may drive additional demand to LSA.
AgLA06
AG
I wouldn't be surprised if they look to open a campus on the north or northwest side of town (outside Beltway 8) if they get what they think they will.

It's basically just Northland Christian, Cypress Christian, and John Cooper. With the first 2 being much closer to town than a lot of the growth currently happening around 99.
Buck Turgidson
FYI - Cypress Christian only has one more school year on the Jones Road campus. They have a new campus under construction just outside the Grand Parkway in Bridgeland.
WestHoustonAg79
Whoop Delecto said:

LNA was down to about 75 students. Land is $20 million

Not too far of a stretch ask price imo off the cuff. Going rate in that stretch for higher density development is probably more $65 psf range (20 M is high $70s PSF).

Depends how it's marketed tbh. Great dirt but buyer pool likely diluted due to lease back and other transaction stipulations likely needed to execute.

Note: I do not know any details on this one. Just high level thoughts. Have sold/am selling several similar sized development sites in similar locations.
AgLA06
AG
Don't think there will be a lease back. Shutting their doors next month.

The problem is the property is on both sides of Alba. They almost have to split it to sell I'd imagine.
WestHoustonAg79
AgLA06 said:

Don't think there will be a lease back. Shutting their doors next month.

The problem is the property is on both sides of Alba. They almost have to split it to sell I'd imagine.

Got it. Read end of the year and got giddy and went straight to the asset on my parcel app.

Agreed on splitting to maximize. I'd pitch the west part to YMCA in case they needed to pick something up or SCI and sell the main site in a bid process (along with Westside if it couldn't be taken by logical buyers).

And I digress over a way too late if lunch on a Monday…. Carry on.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.