1836 Texas Kitchen
180,345 Views | 1210 Replies
Mike92
11:14a, 2/9/21
Does anyone know when the Roma's Italian Kitchen on Troup Highway is supposed to open? It's in the former location of Portofino's. I assume it's related to the Longview restaurant of the same name. They've had signs on the side of the highway and on the building for a while but I don't ever see any indication of progress. I wonder if it's no longer going to open.
Mike92
7:15p, 2/22/21
In reply to Mike92
Mike92 said:

Does anyone know when the Roma's Italian Kitchen on Troup Highway is supposed to open? It's in the former location of Portofino's. I assume it's related to the Longview restaurant of the same name. They've had signs on the side of the highway and on the building for a while but I don't ever see any indication of progress. I wonder if it's no longer going to open.

They opened today. We just got back and thought it was pretty good. We all had the lasagna. The entree prices are fairly reasonable.
RockOn
12:21p, 2/25/21
HTeaO... an iced tea cafe? store? place? is going in at the old Weinerland on 5th.

I swear, people will buy anything.
Dro07
12:53p, 2/25/21
In reply to RockOn
maybe they will buy it or maybe not... we can put that place on the watch list
UncleDave
6:09a, 2/26/21
Local BBQ Tyler to open on Old Bullard, just north of Chimney Rock. Old Sonoma location?

Liangs to the death row for restaurants area on Old Jville in April, per sign by the sidewalk. It looks like it's the Original Pancake House location.
AggieGunslinger
7:31a, 2/26/21
In reply to UncleDave
I saw that about Liangs, I am happy it is closer but it does seem like a bad move. That location should be better but I guess rent is too high.
Josepi
8:31a, 2/26/21
Weird about Liangs. It's been in that location of Paluxy and the loop for at least a decade. I wonder what prompted them to move. They must have been doing something right to have lasted as long as they have.
AGC
8:58a, 2/26/21
In reply to Josepi
Josepi said:

Weird about Liangs. It's been in that location of Paluxy and the loop for at least a decade. I wonder what prompted them to move. They must have been doing something right to have lasted as long as they have.

Tax avoidance?
RockOn
10:39a, 2/26/21
In reply to Josepi
Josepi said:

I think they've been in that location since the 1990s right?
Dumpster Fire
1:09p, 2/26/21
In reply to RockOn
At least. It was a Sunday lunch after church spot when I was in elementary in the early 90s.
J_Landes89
7:36a, 2/28/21
In reply to Dumpster Fire
+1 here.

I spent years of my life thinking Liang's and El Charro were the only places open on Sundays.
Dumpster Fire
10:59a, 2/28/21
In reply to J_Landes89
Yeah. Throw in Lubys everyone and then too.

Ps a couple of us on here worked at the El Charros #2 back in the day. My family was there every Friday night growing up.
Dro07
3:30p, 2/28/21
In reply to Dumpster Fire
No one cares guero
Dumpster Fire
7:51a, 3/1/21
Dro07
8:40a, 3/1/21
you still out living down south?
Dumpster Fire
9:45a, 3/1/21
In reply to Dro07
Yep still living here in central Texas.

best place to live ever!
J_Landes89
1:56a, 3/13/21
So, Old Chicago Pizzeria is apparently set to open back up again sometime soon. They never technically left or permanently closed (I had thought so). Updating paint and working inside last week.

Just passing along intel
AsburyAg
6:48a, 3/13/21
In reply to J_Landes89
I hope so. My family and I liked it.
pantherag
10:41a, 3/13/21
In reply to J_Landes89
Jizzle89 said:

So, Old Chicago Pizzeria is apparently set to open back up again sometime soon. They never technically left or permanently closed (I had thought so). Updating paint and working inside last week.

Just passing along intel

The folks that own FD's and Javis have the location now and are coming out with a new concept in their portfolio. Believe it will be a seafood type of restaurant.
Dro07
10:57a, 3/13/21
In reply to pantherag
Fish city?
J_Landes89
12:13a, 3/15/21
In reply to pantherag
Good to know!
DuncanLEO
5:48p, 3/17/21
Javis serves ****, that place sucks.
Dro07
7:44p, 3/17/21
In reply to DuncanLEO
What did you get?
AggieGunslinger
8:04p, 3/17/21
Solid first post on this board by a 3 month old user.
Josepi
8:12p, 3/17/21
He got banned 1 minute after posting here for something he posted on the Classified board.

It takes some real talent to get banned on the Classified board.
Stive
8:24p, 3/17/21
In reply to Josepi
Josepi said:

He got banned 1 minute after posting here for something he posted on the Classified board.

I didn't know you could get banned on that board. What a flake job.
DuncanLEO
7:31p, 3/18/21
In reply to Stive
Stive said:

Josepi said:

I didn't know you could get banned on that board. What a flake job.

Really weak board moderation over on classifieds. Anyway I had the beef enchiladas and they sucked.

Liangs has to be cleaning money, how do the stay open? The lady that owns that place speaks terrible English but can clearly enunciate "****".
rooftop18403
2:44p, 4/5/21
Help me remember the history of the loop and Broadway. What year did On the Border go in? Was that the same corner that Taco Cabana or Armadillo Willy's was on? Who occupied the other corners?
RockOn
3:21p, 4/5/21
Before my time in Tyler, but I thought Taco Cabana stood where the TGI Friday's was (in front of Big Lots, east side of Broadway)
Txgunrnnr
3:22p, 4/5/21
Not food related, but has anyone heard that Cabela's is going in on the SE corner of I20 & Hwy 69 in Lindale?
“If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses.” -Henry Ford

#FJB
Dro07
4:36p, 4/5/21
In reply to Txgunrnnr
What?
Dro07
4:38p, 4/5/21
In reply to rooftop18403
rooftop18403 said:

Help me remember the history of the loop and Broadway. What year did On the Border go in? Was that the same corner that Taco Cabana or Armadillo Willy's was on? Who occupied the other corners?

It was a spaghettis or something like that.

Taco C was where Friday's was. Armadillo was on the corner of loop and old Bullard
Txgunrnnr
6:26p, 4/5/21
In reply to Dro07
dromo07 said:

What?
That's what I heard.
“If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses.” -Henry Ford

#FJB
RockOn
6:53p, 4/5/21
You always have to be skeptical of "Lindale's getting a _______" rumors.

If every rumor over the last 10 years came true, Lindale would be larger than Las Vegas by now.
Txgunrnnr
7:24p, 4/5/21
In reply to RockOn
RockOn said:

You always have to be skeptical of "Lindale's getting a _______" rumors.

If every rumor over the last 10 years came true, Lindale would be larger than Las Vegas by now.
How about this one, was also told that Lindale has halted all new subdivision construction due to infrastructure. Not really sure about this one.

#FJB
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 27 of 35
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off