Lake Palestine

6,992 Views | 23 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by gp86
maroon10
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anyone have a lake house or own land here? I've only visited once many years ago and enjoyed it. We love going to Lake Cypress Springs but that drive is about one hour too long from Katy.
TMfrisco
AG
I've got one and at least one other poster on here soes as well.

Questions?
maroon10
AG
We're just casually browsing different spots for potential second home. I'm always looking at real estate. What do you like/dislike? Did you buy land first then build or buy with house on the lot? Lake Cherokee and Livingston on radar as well but we're more into the tubing/wake recreation than fishing.
TMfrisco
AG
Pros:
- Proximity to Tyler
- Nobody but Tyler draws water from it - for now. Lowest it has been since 2014 is a little less than -3'
- Only time it is ever crowded is 4th of July. Great fireworks on and around it.
- Great fishing if you ever want to
- We come from Frisco and it is right at 2 hrs
- Still relatively reasonable prices
- Lake is surrounded by bluffs and trees. Very scenic and always a place to get out of the wind.
- More full-time residents than vacation homes, but older and the lake really doesn't get used like you think it would
- Good mix of really expensive homes, reasonable homes, vacation homes and lower quality (trailers and the like)

Cons:
- Pretty stumpy. Plenty of room to do what you want, but you need to know where not to go
- Water is never real clear. Red clay and sand in the area means you only get maybe 3' visibility
- You are "behind the pine curtain", but I, and nobody I know, have had theft issues]

I was working in the area for 6 years and my wife and daughter didn't want to move. I rented a duplex for 9 months while I looked for a place to buy. I bought a very nice, newish doublewide that was decked from an older couple who were moving into Tyler. Truthfully, I didn't even realize it was a doublewide until the second time I looked at it. It already had a boathouse and a little over 120' of shoreline. It was perfect for me to live in during the week and it makes for a perfect lakehouse that we use maybe 10x per year now. We may build a house when we retire, but for the money we spent, the doublewide works great for us as a vacation place. The value has appreciated pretty well over the last 6-7 years.

I can tell you where to look and where to avoid and probably answer any other questions you have. AggielostinETX bought a house and finished the reno on it, but he lives there full-time.

Coming from Houston, look at the Frankston (SW) end of the lake and it will save you about 30 minutes getting there. The east side of the lake down by the dam would save you some time as well and there are a few nice areas there. Our place is on the east side of the lake (Bullard address) off of 346 between Emerald Bay and Eagles Bluff. No waterfront property in Eagles Bluff and Emerald Bay waterfront is high.
maroon10
AG
Thanks for the detailed response- very helpful.

Wish rates would drop but I keep saying God isn't making any more land. I'm always looking though for a good lot to pop up.

Maybe we'll do a long weekend at the little resort there and check it out.
TMfrisco
AG
I'm not sure there is a resort there I would go to, but there are VRBOs and ABnBs.
The Holiday Inn Time share might be an option.
2ndGen87
AG
We bought on Lake Palestine last year and love it. We looked at Cypress Springs, but it is a very small lake and houses are insanely priced.

The advantages of Cypress Springs is the wildlife and terrain. Just beautiful.

But I am so happy we bought on Palestine. I second the above descriptive post. Locals are really nice.
TMfrisco
AG
2ndGen87 said:

We bought on Lake Palestine last year and love it. We looked at Cypress Springs, but it is a very small lake and houses are insanely priced.

But I am so happy we bought on Palestine. I second the above descriptive post. Locals are really nice.
Where did you buy? We are always looking for new friends out there.
FriscoAggieFan
AG
I grew up in Tyler and have lived in Frisco since 96
We bought a small lakehouse on Palestine 3 years ago. Have really enjoyed it. If you're crossing the 344 bridge over Saline Creek look east for the boathouse with the green roof.
Email in profile if u have any specific questions.

Also lake Palestine resort now has some tiny home rentals I would definitely rent for a weekend.
Comeby!
AG
Anything former East Texas and Frisco transplant here with an eye at getting back.
aggielostinETX
AG
maroon10 said:

Anyone have a lake house or own land here? I've only visited once many years ago and enjoyed it. We love going to Lake Cypress Springs but that drive is about one hour too long from Katy.

We transplanted out to Lake Palestine in the Bullard area after living in Dallas for 20+ years. It has been the best move we could've ever make for our family.

A couple of our kids go to Brookhill and a couple of them go to Bullard. We are equally thrilled with both because they both provide different things that each for kids needs.

Lake Palastine is awesome so far, it's never crowded. It's nothing like the Austin lakes. It is an East Texas muddy lake, so the water isn't quite as pretty, but hasn't slowed anyone in our family down.

There are three master planned communities on the Bullard side of Lake Palestine. Emerald Bay, Eagles Bluff, and Cumberland Ridge.

Emerald Bay is the older of the golf communities out there. Fantastic course, great houses but not many trees and it feels a lot like a Florida style place. Nothing wrong with that just not what we wanted.

Eagles Bluff is the newer of the communities out here. Fantastic houses but very few actual lake lots because when they started building lake houses one of them actually fell into the lake due to the slope and the underlying soil strata. We are country club members at Eagles Bluff.

We picked a house actually in Cumberland Ridge. It is probably the least fancy and least pretentious of all the neighborhoods, not that any of them are overly pretentious. Houses in Cumberland Ridge on the water sell within days if they are priced less than $350/square foot.

If you're not concerned about schools, you have a lot more options and other places to look.
“A republic, if you can keep it”

AggieKatie2 said:
ETX is honestly starting to scare me a bit as someone who may be trigger happy.
GigEmRangers75455
I live on Lake Bob Sandlin right next to Cypress Springs and love it. We looked at a house on Palestine and almost pulled the trigger back in 2016. Sandlin has good fishing, never too busy, more affordable than Cypress Springs. I'm also a realtor and try keeping an eye out for deals on both lakes to invest in.
2ndGen87
AG
TMfrisco said:

2ndGen87 said:

We live in Shell Shores just south of Cumberland and Eagles Bluff.

Love it. Wish my wife would let me retire.
TMfrisco
AG
We are neighbors then, our place is on Cedar Bay Drive.
swimmerbabe11
would like Sam Rayburn work? I have a client selling this property
https://www.century21.com/property/151-cr-4717-broaddus-tx-75929-C2183435684
maroon10
AG
My in-laws place is on Cypress Springs, it's insane the prices of the homes now.

Swimmerbabe- We'd like to be waterfront- thanks though!
GigEmRangers75455
maroon10 said:

My in-laws place is on Cypress Springs, it's insane the prices of the homes now.

Swimmerbabe- We'd like to be waterfront- thanks though!

Yea it won't be long before there's no lots left to build on. Houses are getting closer and closer together.
J_Landes89
AG
If any of you lake Palestine owners/residents here of your neighbors wanting to sell or you yourself thinking about it. I sure would love to know!

903-521-six 2 nine one
aggielostinETX
AG
We have a decent group of Aggies off 344 now.

Any of you golf or shoot?
2ndGen87
AG
Lake Palestine is the best. It's like having your own private lake in a way. I am so glad we bought here and not Cedar Creek.

I golf and shoot. Doesn't every Aggie?
2ndGen87
AG
BonfireNerd04
You mean Lake ISRAEL?
maroon10
AG
Any info on the lots on Legacy Shores, LaRue address. We need to make time to spend a day on the water and check it all out.
gp86
AG
2ndGen87 said:

TMfrisco said:

2ndGen87 said:

We live in Shell Shores just south of Cumberland and Eagles Bluff.

Love it. Wish my wife would let me retire.
We also have a house in Shell Shores. We face Emerald Bay
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.