The Cascades in Tyler?

6,787 Views | 36 Replies | Last: 10 mo ago by BMOC86
Flounder Dorfman
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have twin boys that are sophomores in high school and our plan is to move to Tyler from Frisco once they graduate. I'm originally from Longview, so I know East Texas. But way more familiar with Longview/Kilgore/Marshall than Tyler.

With that said, my wife and I drove over last weekend to look around and drive through some neighborhoods. I'm pretty sure we're going to be on the south side and I had it in my mind that finding something in Hollytree sounded pretty fantastic. It still does and I could see myself settling in there and joining the club and living right.

But with that said, we drove through The Cascades and I have a lot of questions. So if I understand correctly, that's been there over ten years or so? Why is it not more built out than it is? Is there something going on that I should be aware of? How is the country club? I've always heard people debate the pros and cons of Hollytree versus Willow Brook, but have never really heard anything on The Cascades. Any background or advice on it would be appreciated.
PeekingDuck
AG
We looked there and there are many nice houses, but I have heard from more than one contractor that many of them have issues with movement. However, the current builders say that they are doing things the right way. Who knows? Used to be zoned to worse schools, but I think they corrected that in the last two years. If you have the money and/or inclination, All Saints is right next door. Beyond that, there isn't much on the west side right now, so you're either driving into town on the parkway or probably heading to the loop or Jacksonville for food. My wife plays a lot of tennis and she said the Cascades is pretty dead compared to Willowbrook, Hollytree, or TASC.

All in all it seemed like a pretty place and the money is definitely there so I feel like they must have fixed some of the older issues. It does seem like it is more out of towners than Tyler folks. I'm not sure why since we are also recent transplants. We ended up buying in the Azalea area because my wife likes old houses that I can spend the rest of my life fixing up.

It seems like Hollytree is the other area that people move into that want a larger development and Hollytree CC is a good value. I work with many people that live there and they seem happy with it. Also reasonably close to anything you would want. I'd lean that way if I were you.
Flounder Dorfman
AG
Thanks a bunch. That's really helpful.

Yeah something seemed off at The Cascades. If they've had foundation issues then that would do it. I did like the area and it's really pretty with the hills, woods and lake. The fact that it had empty lots told me there had to be a story. And if it was zoned to a worse school then it makes even more sense.

We've talked about the Azalea district and I love those houses, but I don't know if I want to do that again. I used to live in South Highlands in Shreveport and loved our house, but it can definitely become a money pit. But then they all can.
J_Landes89
AG
There's some big things happening just north of The Cascades, more than I can put here and have it make sense. If you ever want to chat and hear more about there specifically or Tyler in general just call me! I love my city and helping folks know what's going on. 903. 521 62nine1
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
We live just inside the loop behind the old chili's, and just south of azalea district. Love the neighborhood and area. Close enough either way to where we want to go. Lots of friends live in holly tree, and they like it and some others have moved to cascades, all seem to enjoy it.
Txgunrnnr
AG
J_Landes89 said:

There's some big things happening just north of The Cascades, more than I can put here and have it make sense. If you ever want to chat and hear more about there specifically or Tyler in general just call me! I love my city and helping folks know what's going on. 903. 521 62nine1
Are you talking about around Sam's Club?

“If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses.” -Henry Ford

#FJB
AGC
AG
Txgunrnnr said:

J_Landes89 said:

Are you talking about around Sam's Club?

J_Landes89
AG
Yes, 550 acre development just north of Sam's, a few hundred acres development east along Earl Campbell etc.

That part of Tyler is a rocket ship about to launch.
Txgunrnnr
AG
J_Landes89 said:

Yes, 550 acre development just north of Sam's, a few hundred acres development east along Earl Campbell etc.

That part of Tyler is a rocket ship about to launch.
Yep, that's the area I've heard about as well.
“If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses.” -Henry Ford

#FJB
Txgunrnnr
AG
Sounds like Brookshire's will be the first to break ground in this area.

#FJB
Flounder Dorfman
AG
J_Landes89 said:

I'll probably take you up on your offer!

It looks like it's summer 2025 when we move over, so we have plenty of time to figure things out. And it sounds like some things will be happening between now and then anyway, so this timing might work out really well.
Dro07
AG
Oh man the Chinese development gonna happen after all?
Gabster43213
Im looking for a 1bd/1ba place to rent that is completely furnished and all bills paid.

Would like to find something on the south side. I HATE going through apartments,com.

Any resources would be greatly appreciated.
J_Landes89
AG
Haha! Thankfully not!!! Something much much better.
RogerFurlong
They've had a few changes of ownership. I know the club house flooded a few years ago and they took the insurance money instead of fixing it and sold the club. I like the course, I'm not sure if they've ever fully re opened to club house yet. It's a nice place in a bad school district which is holding it back.
Flounder Dorfman
AG
What school district is it in? Does it feed into John Tyler high school?

If so, then hello private school!
RogerFurlong
It looks like I was wrong. I always assumed it was JT since it is so close to the actual school. Looks like someone pulled some strings to make sure it's REL.
Flounder Dorfman
AG
I thought is was zoned for REL, but wasn't sure.

And I know the new names of the schools. But my mama called them John Tyler and Robert E. Lee, so Imma call them that.
buy_dont_lease
AG
IIRC the schools were rezoned in the last 1 or 2 years.
AGC
AG
RogerFurlong said:

They've had a few changes of ownership. I know the club house flooded a few years ago and they took the insurance money instead of fixing it and sold the club. I like the course, I'm not sure if they've ever fully re opened to club house yet. It's a nice place in a bad school district which is holding it back.

Still remodeling as of last fall so they're on year two or something of it
J_Landes89
AG
The Cascades is entirely Zoned for Legacy.

Happened in 2018-2019.
J_Landes89
AG
A MAJOR re-zoning for the entire Tyler ISD map happened in 2018. The high school boundaries had for decades 20+ road boundaries between them. Now there are 3 and the zones are almost straight across west to east. Major cleanup that had been needed for years. Future student population projections were way out of whack before the updates
buy_dont_lease
J_Landes89
AG
This also created true "feeders" from middle school to high school for the first time in decades

Boulter + Moore = Tyler High
Three Lakes + Hubbard = Tyler Legacy

This helps with athletics, band, everything stay streamlined and allows high school coaches/teachers etc to start their programs or trainings basically in middle school.
H2SAag
AG
Cornerstone is building very nice spec homes there. One went on the market a couple months ago for $240 something/foot. That one wasn't for us, but we were excited to learn about the other 4-5 they are currently building. Unfortunately, the new ones are priced around $320/foot. So we will likely buy in holly tree, legacy bend or crossing. I'll be happy with any of those but cascades was easily my favorite neighborhood.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
J_Landes89
AG
If you don't have a Realtor yet, I'd love to introduce myself!

I have enjoyed working with non A&M folks, but…. Let's be real… I prefer to help fightin' Texas Aggies out!

Nine zero 3 - five 21- six 291
H2SAag
AG
Thank you, but we already have a realtor.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
J_Landes89
EastTexAg09
I am biased, but Hollytree is a great neighborhood. I grew up in Hollytree, and moved back into the neighborhood a couple of years ago. The country club has new ownership and a new manager. They are updating/improving it, which has been needed. I have heard about several of the issues at the Cascades that others have mentioned, and can remember when it was Briarwood. Willowbrook is a nice place, but it can be inconvenient to get to. Most of the people I know that are members there come from "old money".
pantherag
AG
EastTexAg09 said:

I am biased, but Hollytree is a great neighborhood. I grew up in Hollytree, and moved back into the neighborhood a couple of years ago. The country club has new ownership and a new manager. They are updating/improving it, which has been needed. I have heard about several of the issues at the Cascades that others have mentioned, and can remember when it was Briarwood. Willowbrook is a nice place, but it can be inconvenient to get to. Most of the people I know that are members there come from "old money".

Agree with your take, however HTCC does not have new ownership. Same owners are still in place, but have a new GM and Golf Director and making needed investments.
Flounder Dorfman
AG
So I was told that if I choose Hollytree, that I might want to consider private schools? Thoughts?

I've looked at the schools and they seem fine, but I am not boots on the ground yet.
J_Landes89
AG
Respectfully, you're not getting great intel.

Hollytree is a great neighborhood with great schools.
Flounder Dorfman
AG
J_Landes89 said:

Respectfully, you're not getting great intel.

Hollytree is a great neighborhood with great schools.

That's what I thought as well. I had done some research on this and when he said that I wanted to question it, but he lives there and it's not worth it. His youngest is at Andy Woods, so maybe he's just biased.
Dro07
AG
Hollytree should be Jack not Andy woods for elementary school.
3 lakes for middle school
Legacy for high school.

That's as good as you are going to get for TISD honestly.
Flounder Dorfman
AG
Right. Those are the three for Hollytree.

My buddy that said that lives in the area where he feeds into Andy Woods.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.