What is the definitive boundary line for East Texas?

1,548 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by JD Shellnut
Andrew Dufresne
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Opinions vary. Looking for the consensus on what separates East Texas from the rest of the state.
RM76
AG
Don't think there is a consensus on this. Just depends on the context one is using when referring to this region (and most other regions in Texas).
EastTexAg09
North border = state line
East border = state line
Western border = Paris to Crockett (includes Sulphur Springs, Athens, and Palestine)
Southern border = Crockett through Lufkin to the state line.

EOT
RM76
AG
Many folks also include deep East Tx counties in the general category of East Tx.
Andrew Dufresne
Username checks out
cc10106
I asked someone recently if Canton is part of East TX, and I see now that it's also on Hwy 19, along with other towns you mentioned for the Western border. It always seemed like a good cutoff/starting point when you're on I-20.

PeekingDuck
AG
Livingston, Corrigan, and Jasper not east Texas? I might move that line slightly further south. Though Houston is encroaching.
Stive
AG
I view east Texas in 3 regions.

Northeast Texas is basically north of Gilmer and east of Sulpher Springs.

East Texas is Gilmer south, down to roughly Nac or Lufkin, Canton or Athens area west to Louisiana. There's a pretty definitive line just east of Canton where the tree line starts and shoot's up. That vegetation line is very different than driving on I-30 from SS to Texarkana which is why I view the NE part different from the East.

Deep east Texas is that next section from Lufkin down to Beaumont…maybe Port Arthur but I kind of think of that as even being gulf coast. It includes Jasper, Silsbee, Woodville, etc. Crockett or perhaps a little further west is the western border of Deep East Texas.

rooftop18403
Edgewood. It's the edge of the woods.
Big Cat `93
AG
As a Deep East Texan, I heartily endorse this.
akaggie05
AG
Going east on 30, I kind of think of Greenville as where it begins.
RM76
AG
Well, as this thread indicates, I don't think there is a consensus on a definitive line of demarcation for East Texas. This probably holds true for the other regions also. I think most folks have a good general idea but don't think you will get a definitive consensus.
Aggie09!
AG
Texarkana west to Honey Grove, south to Greenville, south to Kaufman (Terrell excluded), south to Corsicana, follow I-45, southeast to Livingston, east to border.
Andrew Dufresne
Do any of y'all consider Cut and Shoot a part of East Texas?
JD Shellnut
AG
Besides anything that has been taken over by Houston, I would say any town behind the pine curtain. I remember driveing to college on hwy 21, and as soon as you pass Crockett the pines would dwindle away and lots more open spaces.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.