I-35 in Belton

2,586 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by c-jags
Aust Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have been traveling alot to Dallas for business the last few months, and it doesn't matter what time of day or which day, there is ALWAYS a 10-15 minute southbound delay in Belton. The lanes don't narrow or anything, there's never a wreck....just slow traffic. The rest of 35 is fine. What's the deal?
c-jags
Aust Ag said:

I have been traveling alot to Dallas for business the last few months, and it doesn't matter what time of day or which day, there is ALWAYS a 10-15 minute southbound delay in Belton. The lanes don't narrow or anything, there's never a wreck....just slow traffic. The rest of 35 is fine. What's the deal?

The made a big mistake dropping it from 4 lanes to 3 into Belton at Midway. When we have to go to Killeen or Austin for sports from north Temple (close to the Buccees) we plan an extra 30 minutes now.

Wasn't bad for the first few years after all the construction ended. But after 2020 when we grew by thousands of people it became unsustainable.

FWIW, I live here and I scream about it every time. There just isn't a good way to avoid tilt.
mazzag
AG
The time change has a huge effect. The west setting sun is blinding thru Belton until you get up the hill and split at I14. I also blame all the tractor trailers trying to get u other hill.
c-jags
mazzag said:

The time change has a huge effect. The west setting sun is blinding thru Belton until you get up the hill and split at I14. I also blame all the tractor trailers trying to get u other hill.
i know delivery drivers keep the nation running, but the amount of a-holery by truck drivers i encounter in Bell County is unmatched.

my son was driving to Belton and got sideswiped by an 18 wheeler that kept driving.

totaled his truck and the dude didn't pull over till Belton when other drivers contacted him on the CB and said "you just merged into a truck."

I want every person that attacked Rick Perry for the TTC to think long and hard every time they're stuck in traffic. I don't like imminent domain, but everybody would be happier for it today.
OutdoorAg
AG
I think it's because you have air of cars getting into I35 right in front of Whataburger. Then several hundred yards up the road you have the exit to I14. Cars are slowing down letting others into the highway instead of moving over, then it causes a traffic jam
500,000ags
AG
This spot really is awful any time of day. So many people moving right for two close exits in Belton and then the exit to Killeen. That's my best guess at least.
agsalaska
AG
I look down on it from overpasses occasionally but do everything I possibly can to avoid I-35

justnobody79
500,000ags said:

This spot really is awful any time of day. So many people moving right for two close exits in Belton and then the exit to Killeen. That's my best guess at least.
for southbound it's a combo of cars entering just before Midway and into the blinding sun late in the day, then everyone trying to get over to their desired exit in Belton, with not enough lanes to get it done
for northbound it's the 1-14 merging into 35 in Belton with not enough lanes
c-jags
justnobody79 said:

500,000ags said:

for southbound it's a combo of cars entering just before Midway and into the blinding sun late in the day, then everyone trying to get over to their desired exit in Belton, with not enough lanes to get it done
for northbound it's the 1-14 merging into 35 in Belton with not enough lanes
i'm southbound during most working hours, but i never have problems northbound. ever.

i do scream about it, but i don't think TxDot saw the population jumping 20+% from 2019-2023 in hindsight. just too many people.

i'll repeat... all the jackholes who condemned and fought the TTC from Perry 10 years ago share more blame than anybody at TxDoT and Bell County.
FightinTAC08
AG
i usually don't have problems on that stretch outside of the commuting hours- weekdays definitely suck in the afternoons. but two workarounds i use when it is backed up -

1. exit at buc ees and take the loop around to 95. at worst you give the 10-15 minutes back by taking a slower road. you can cut back over in holland, bartlett, or taylor

2. LOCALs Know
c-jags
FightinTAC08 said:

i usually don't have problems on that stretch outside of the commuting hours- weekdays definitely suck in the afternoons. but two workarounds i use when it is backed up -

Please delete number 2. That is a secret only for locals and will ruin my day when more people know about it.
FightinTAC08
AG
LOL. Done!

hopefully he read it in time.
c-jags
FightinTAC08 said:

LOL. Done!

hopefully he read it in time.

ha. it really is a hack. you'll probably get stuck at the light or get back in the middle of traffic, but you get to pass about a mile and a half of gridlock.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.