Minor in Consumption

2,490 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 23 days ago by austinag1997
fatherof4
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'm looking for advice. My 20 yr old son got a MIC from Morgan's Point Resort PD. Is it advisable to get a lawyer to fight the charge? Also, how successful are fighting these type of things? Thanks in advance.
BohunkAg
AG
It's a Class C misdemeanor, but I'd always say to get a lawyer. Shoot, I always do even for speeding tickets.
washedupballer
AG
Yes, if you need him he'll let you know. If he says you don't need him, he still might be able to give you some advice.
fatherof4
Thank You for the reply's
BBQ
AG
Did he do it?
fatherof4
Officer, I respectfully choose to not answer any questions. Thank You
The Grinder (99)
AG
If this is just a one off thing in an otherwise good kid with no legal issues, I probably would .

It may also depend on what he wants to do

For example, I got a minor in possession when I was 19. My BIL is an attorney and got it expunged. I did the crime, that wasn't really the question. however it was the only legal issue I ever had. I took an alcohol awareness class and paid a court fee and was placed on probation for 12 months

Never had another charge (alcohol or otherwise)

I went to med school, residency, got my medical license, etc… seems like every step of the way they ask if I have any alcohol related convictions . Being able to say no to that has made my life a lot easier

Just my experience
fatherof4
Thank you. I appreciate the advice.
Lake08
The Grinder (99) said:

If this is just a one off thing in an otherwise good kid with no legal issues, I probably would .

It may also depend on what he wants to do

For example, I got a minor in possession when I was 19. My BIL is an attorney and got it expunged. I did the crime, that wasn't really the question. however it was the only legal issue I ever had. I took an alcohol awareness class and paid a court fee and was placed on probation for 12 months

Never had another charge (alcohol or otherwise)

I went to med school, residency, got my medical license, etc… seems like every step of the way they ask if I have any alcohol related convictions . Being able to say no to that has made my life a lot easier

Just my experience

12 months probation for a MIP? That's rediculous
The Grinder (99)
AG
I honestly don't remember the details. Maybe it was 6. It was a long time ago now. I just remember him saying if I get another mip during that time he'd have a hard time getting it all dropped

Anyway, the point is, I feel my life has been a lot easier not having that on my record.

Now an MIP prob wouldn't have stopped me from getting my medical license, but it would have added additional hoop potentially. I know a classmate in med school that had a DWI (I know, WAY different level of issue) and he knew it was going to cause him a lot of issues and factored that in when he decided to do his residency in Tennessee and just stayed there permanently
1Aggie99
AG
One other option... He could request a jury trial and wait it out. Odds are they won't want to take a MIP to trial and will offer some user friendly option as that time nears.

I may or may not have had a similar experience in CS many years ago. Final result could have been 3 months probation, no other issues at said establishment (which had already closed), and it would be removed. Yes Sir... have a great day!
austinag1997
AG
The Grinder (99) said:

I honestly don't remember the details. Maybe it was 6. It was a long time ago now. I just remember him saying if I get another mip during that time he'd have a hard time getting it all dropped

Anyway, the point is, I feel my life has been a lot easier not having that on my record.

Now an MIP prob wouldn't have stopped me from getting my medical license, but it would have added additional hoop potentially. I know a classmate in med school that had a DWI (I know, WAY different level of issue) and he knew it was going to cause him a lot of issues and factored that in when he decided to do his residency in Tennessee and just stayed there permanently

This is precisely why you obtain legal advice. Never know what haunts you in the future.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.