'06 Silverado Build Up

9,303 Views | 57 Replies | Last: 17 days ago by Silvy
Silvy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

Donor Escalade

Picked this up from a Texags bro a little over a week ago. 2006 Silverado 2wd w/ 270k, seized 5.3, and 3.23 rear gear. Per the 2006 Owners Manual, the truck has a towing capacity of 6,700 lbs with its current drivetrain. With a 6.0 & 3.73 gear, the chassis has a capacity of 10,100 lbs. I don't plan to haul anything that heavy, guessing most I'll pull is approximately 7,000 lbs, but I like the extra safety factor. Racetrok and 20' car hauler is approximately 6,800 lbs and also have a Yanmar YM336D tractor that I plan to start moving around that's approx. 3,400 lbs (not including trailer weight).

I've already snagged a LQ9 (HO 6.0) to drop in and longtube headers. I'll be leaving the engine internals stock. I'm planning to swap in a Truetrac & 4.10 gears. I'll see how the trans holds up, likely swapping the 60e for 80e eventually. When tires are needed, 3" spindle lift and 1-2" lift block.

Once all is in good working order, I'll be getting rid of Basic Birch.
ReloadAg
AG
Still my favorite Silverado in the last 20 years. I had a maroon 2005 Extended cab and I still miss that truck.
HumpitPuryear
AG
Not a Chevy guy but sounds like a nice project.

You seem to have some connections for junk yard parts. I'm looking for a ford ZF5-47 transmission to swap into my 1970 F250. It has to be the small-block version though not the one used behind the diesel. I think they only came in the 90's F250s without diesel. The F150 used the Mazda 5 speed which is not going to hold together behind my built 390FE. You know anyone that might be able to hook me up?
drummer0415
AG
If you don't throw a cam in that 6.0 while it's out of the truck and easily doable, you deserve to be tea bagged.
The Fife
Why not swap the transmission along with the engine? It seems like the easiest time to do it.

How do the computers and wiring work with what you're doing? I've never looked at this kind of project outside of older stuff where it didn't really matter.
Silvy
AG
No contacts, I just pulled up car-part.com and started calling around to junkyards. Ended up finding my engine in Hearne.

I initially found a LQ9 w/ 98k for $1500 in Austin. I went back and forth with the seller a bit to confirm it was a LQ9 and not a LQ4. Once I felt confident that it was a LQ9, I was out of my driveway within 5 minutes.

I pulled out of my Dickinson driveway around 1010 and got a message from seller while going through downtown Houston that someone else was going to pickup at 1 PM...my ETA was showing 1:20. BOOGITY BOOGITY BOOGITY LETS GO RACING BOYS.

I'm passing through Elgin at 1215 and get a message that engine has been sold. I take this opportunity to stop, take a piss, and then discuss another engine with seller. Turns out they had another LQ9 with similar mileage, same price, but was still in vehicle. Since I was so close, I decided to mosey that way regardless. Even with the 10-15 minute stop in Elgin and slowing down, I still got the the shop at 1 PM.

During my inspection, I find that the cluster is showing 210k miles and am told that the owner of the shop actually wants more money for this one for some reason unknown to the girl that's showing it to me. I say thanks, but no thanks and start looking for more engines.

Couple days later, girl messaged me and asked what the mileage was of engine I looked at. She then tells me that the guy who bought the engine I raced there for had came back the previous day because the engine was blown lol
Silvy
AG
Meh, I already have a racetrok , this one will feel slow no matter what I do to it. Any cam worth throwing in dictates that I also run a higher stall TC and valve springs that are more prone to wear.
Silvy
AG
Either way has its challenges. Putting in the trans connected to engine will entail taking more of the front end apart. Hardest part of pulling trans is getting the truck high enough off the ground to roll transmission under the frame rails.

No wiring work required all sensors from the 5.3 swap over to the 6.0. Computer work is nothing different than the typical tune. I'll be able to start the truck immediately after the swap prior to computer work and drive it (slowly) to my tuner ~25 minutes away.
Centerpole90
AG
Aggieangler93
AG
PROPS FOR THIS THREAD FROM THE PRIOR OWNER!!!

I'm really looking forward to this.
Class of '93 - proud Dad of a '22 grad and a '26 student!
coolerguy12
AG
9 posts in and not a single comment about Silvy letting his Chevy get towed by a Ford.

At least when I had to pick up my brother in law's broke down Tundra I had the decency to do it with my Tundra and not let a Ford tow it.
Yesterday
AG
How long is that car hauler?

Did you stop at Southside or Meyer's in Elgin?
Texasclipper
AG
silverado_lover said:

Either way has its challenges. Putting in the trans connected to engine will entail taking more of the front end apart. Hardest part of pulling trans is getting the truck high enough off the ground to roll transmission under the frame rails.

No wiring work required all sensors from the 5.3 swap over to the 6.0. Computer work is nothing different than the typical tune. I'll be able to start the truck immediately after the swap prior to computer work and drive it (slowly) to my tuner ~25 minutes away.
Who's your tuner?
Silvy
AG
Borrowed my dad's F250. It's a drippy, rattle machine lol

The car hauler is 20'. I know very little about that region of Texas. Aside from picking up the truck a couple days before, it had been a decade since I went to Austin.

My tuner is Richard at Aces Performance Exhaust / Mexico Racing League. I've known him a little over a decade from my fullsizechevy .com days lol
Silvy
AG

I finally got time to start working on the truck last week and had the engine pulled out on Thursday. The 5.3 was LOCKED up. I put a breaker bar and jack handle (for extra motivation) on the crank bolt and the crank never budged.

Given this, I opted to pull the engine with the torque converter bolted up and am crossing my fingers I didn't bust the trans pump in the process. Once it was out, there's only enough room between the block and TC bolts for an open ended wrench. I gave the first bolt some heat and got after it...wrench slipped and rounded the bolt.

So rather than fighting it, I'm just going to go snag a new TC from the parts store. The TC found in the 4.2 Trailblazers is of slightly smaller diameter and a slightly higher stall speed. A good budget upgrade to rock until the 60e gives up.

Next up is cleaning in the engine bay, replacing trans front seal & TC, then installing the 6.0.
Aggieangler93
AG
Good to see some progress here. I am going to have to bring BlueV2 by soon, so you can get a look at your next project 15-20 years from now.

Jaydoug
AG
Surprised I'm the first on a silvy thread to suggest a LSX454 swap and slamming it
Silvy
AG
FINALLY fired it up this evening, have been finding it difficult to find time to work on it. Not sure how soon I'll have the exhaust completed and then tuning, sounds like the shop is a bit backed up.

The CEL is saying random misfire, tuner says likely that it's just from the swap and I'm hoping he's right lol

Ag for Life
AG
How many miles does the LQ9 you picked up have on it? Did you pull the heads and check it out or clean anything before dropping her in?
Silvy
AG
It had 140k and **** no I didn't pull heads or even shove a borescope in the cylinder lol

Pulled the valve covers and it didn't look excessively dirty, had a brand new oil filter on it, and turned over nicely. I did clean the oil/dirt off the block, not well enough to be painted, but enough that you won't get dirty just by touching the engine. Did a few gaskets and knock sensors before putting the intake back on.

Ag for Life
AG
silverado_lover said:

It had 140k and **** no I didn't pull heads or even shove a borescope in the cylinder lol

Pulled the valve covers and it didn't look excessively dirty, had a brand new oil filter on it, and turned over nicely. I did clean the oil/dirt off the block, not well enough to be painted, but enough that you won't get dirty just by touching the engine. Did a few gaskets and knock sensors before putting the intake back on.

I'm too OCD to do that haha. Hope it works out for you though.
Aggieangler93
AG
Sounded kinda rough in the video. I hope that newer motor wasn't crap buddy! I hope the tuner and some exhaust can help out. Buy 10 or 12 oil pressure sending units, while you are out picking up parts. They seem to last about 5K miles each!
Ag for Life
AG
Aggieangler93 said:

Sounded kinda rough in the video. I hope that newer motor wasn't crap buddy! I hope the tuner and some exhaust can help out. Buy 10 or 12 oil pressure sending units, while you are out picking up parts. They seem to last about 5K miles each!

May as well tap in an analog gauge instead as those sending units are junk.
Aggieangler93
AG
Ag for Life said:

Aggieangler93 said:

May as well tap in an analog gauge instead as those sending units are junk.
Preach!
Silvy
AG
That's one of the components I replaced. Only OE for those and torqued to spec.
Silvy
AG
I've ironed out a couple of things the past few days. HVAC fans wouldn't run, nor would the electric cooling fans.

Found the blower motor resistor and harness to be shot, replaced it without fuss and got blower motor going. Hooked up a manifold to AC system and it had no pressure. Replaced the high side service port and pulled a vacuum on system and appears to be leak free. AC blows 50 degrees out of the vents, not bad for next to nothing for work. However, the new self sealing refrigerant cans are the suck.

Checked out the relays and fuses for cooling fans, all looked in order. Literally slapped the motors on the fans and they started running lol

Gave it a wash this morning, hoping for exhaust and tune this week.
Flaith
AG
Quote:

However, the new self sealing refrigerant cans are the suck.
this is the truth. I played the real sweet game of "too loose so it leaks or too tight and it self seals and becomes worthless" with my valve. So stupid
Silvy
AG
Finally got into the shop. Exhaust in it's entirety is 1-7/8" long tubes, 3" y-pipe, 3" Vibrant resonator, 24" Jones muffler, & 3" tailpipe.

It's a bit louder than I expected, but certainly bearable in the cab.

New driver side seat foam & seat spring assembly is on the way.
drummer0415
AG
Sounds good. Would sound better with a cam.
Silvy
AG
Went and saw Fabian today. 20% up front, 20% on top of OE privacy glass, and 70% on the windshield. Did the seat foam and spring assembly a few days ago, it made a huge difference and was a pretty simple job.

Silvy
AG
I found some time today and installed a little lift on the truck. 3" spindles for the front and 2" blocks for the rear, it looks like stock Z71 with a tiny amount of crank. I'll get some 285/70-17's for it sooner than later. Also had a good opportunity to check the front end, it could go for some new control arms and front brake hoses.

Flaith
AG
a....lift?

you've changed
Silvy
AG
Are you sure? I'd wager the majority of Texag folk would say lifting a 2wd truck is dumb.

Me dumb
barney94
AG
Looks sharp
Corps_Ag12
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.