****** Offroad/Overlanding/Adventure Thread ******

4,940 Views | 45 Replies | Last: 13 days ago by Centerpole90
'03ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I think we need a separate thread for this stuff. Wasn't sure if it fits better here or on the OB, but this seems to be where all the Jeep/Yota/Offroad discussion happens. We have separate threads for Jeep guys and Cruiser/Toyota guys. Thought maybe we'd have one for everybody too . . . even white F150s.

How do we feel about an ongoing thread for gear, mods, pics, trails, tents, campsites, destinations etc?

Photo dump from our recent trip to the Silverton/Ouray area.

Going over Corkscrew Pass

Ran into this group. This is apparently a poster here

Animas Forks

Our camper/campsite

Somewhere off Lime Creek Rd.

Furlock Bones
AG
Beautiful pics.
Street Fighter
AG
I dig the adventure trailer!
JB
AG
Somewhere around California Gulch and Poughkeepsie Trail in SW Colorado a few weeks back. This truck has been doing these trails almost every year since 2004.

I've bought/used/sold a few different used camper shells for it over the years, but would like to eventually find a nicer one with sides that open
JB
AG
Took the Bronco last year. Pics are on Black Bear and Imogene.

As far as other trails out west go, Sand Hollow State Park is incredible for sand, rocks, trails etc. that can be done in a variety of different vehicles. Near town, also near Zion. Tons to do out there.

King of Hammers is another destination that should be on your bucket list.

DSAg99
Webster pass thru Keystone/Montezuma in the Tundra

Naveronski
AG
KoH is definitely a bucket list visit.

I've had fun building this truck… keep debating future plans for it.

1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Soft roading at Hot Springs Off road park in Hot Springs, AR.

PuryearAg98
AG
Oooh.. Thank you for making this post. I have this idea that I want to get into a vehicle that could take myself and my family through the offroad trails in Colorado next summer. Definitely will be watching this thread!
Dill-Ag13
AG
Naveronski said:

Was just there two weeks ago, didn't do anything crazier than some gravel roads in my highlander.
Centerpole90
AG
Nothing great to offer - but I want to be on page Juan when we are still posting to this thread 15 years from now. BBNP:

CO:

Dwarfed by a next-level overland at a CO watering hole:

'03ag
PuryearAg98 said:

Oooh.. Thank you for making this post. I have this idea that I want to get into a vehicle that could take myself and my family through the offroad trails in Colorado next summer. Definitely will be watching this thread!
Just gotta get out and go!

But seriously most any crossover can do a lot of these trails, especially with a set of all terrain tires. Some of the passes get pretty steep and that can be an issue without a low range gearbox. But it's definitely not required for everything. You can get to some beautiful places in a CRV.

Depending on what you have now you might be able to make an exploratory trip and see how you like it. Get a feel for how much capability you really want/need. Youtube is full of videos of these trails to give you a better idea of what they're like and what kind of vehicle is required. Just remember that the camera flattens everything.

These guys do trails with a variety of vehicles and tend to give good feedback on the differences in capability.
Furlock Bones
AG
There's someone that commutes in a FJ40 the same color of yours in my parking garage in downtown Houston.
Centerpole90
AG
Tell Mr. Chuck Norris hello.

Because that's one tough SOB if he's wheeling a 40 in the heat of summer through that concrete jungle.
RangerRick9211
AG
We're less overland, more base camp oriented. We cover some ground for weekend hobbies (gravel / MTB riding, backcountry skiing, hiking) and don't have the time to out-and-back. So overnight glamping makes the most sense.

So we're not seeking the hardcore overland trails, but many of the forest roads and fire lanes can get gnarly.

We're currently in a CVT tent in the bed of a Rebel:

Two winters and two summers and the wife is over being cold, Geyser sponge showers and the general pooping situation. The goal would be to go Sprinter, but omg the costs are insane. So I'm looking into a Scout camper. But the rebel only has 1,400 lb payload.

This is our typical OR forest road:

And a typical OR summer weekend load:

Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
RangerRick9211 said:

We're less overland, more base camp oriented. We cover some ground for weekend hobbies (gravel / MTB riding, backcountry skiing, hiking) and don't have the time to out-and-back. So overnight glamping makes the most sense.

So we're not seeking the hardcore overland trails, but many of the forest roads and fire lanes can get gnarly.

We're currently in a CVT tent in the bed of a Rebel:

Two winters and two summers and the wife is over being cold, Geyser sponge showers and the general pooping situation. The goal would be to go Sprinter, but omg the costs are insane. So I'm looking into a Scout camper. But the rebel only has 1,400 lb payload.

This is our typical OR forest road:

And a typical OR summer weekend load:

Old thread, but we are debating an offroad teardrop for our adventures here in Oregon. Would solve the cold nights... but the pooping situation is still bad.

How do you like the geyser? We are debating between that, a Joolca, and a Rinsekit Cube with the Water heater. Would be nice to be able to get a hot shower.
cruiserag2020
Love this thread idea and overlanding is the main reason I got my 100 series. I love being able to "get lost" and away from all the noise. Here are some trips I've taken to Big Bend and some trails in Northern New Mexico

Woods Ag
AG
We're doing a couple of days on the ozark overland adventure trail in Arkansas this weekend. I'll post pics next week
MouthBQ98
AG
Big bend Ranch. No overland trip is truly complete until you had to swap your cruise control switch out for your brake light switch on the side of the road….

'03ag
Trying a little tent camping just me and a squid.

Got a spot at a campground in Red River

Don't know if I'll get to do any trail. Holidays are pretty overrun with side by sides

'03ag
Roughing it

normaleagle05
AG
Trying to finish getting the new tent:

On the new, powered tent rack:

Hope to do a quick test camp in September close to home (Ray Roberts, Texoma, or Ouachita NF) and then a longer trip to the Ozarks or Sangre de Cristos the second week of October. We spent a couple nights in the Valle Vidal last October and it was very nice. The elk-draw-of-a-lifetime folks were in camp, as were the real deal cowboys doing the annual cattle roundup. I love the fall break in our ISD more than I ever did a spring break.
'03ag
Valle Vidal is on my list. where do you like to setup?
normaleagle05
AG
You can't camp dispersed along the roads in the Valle Vidal. You have to camp in the back country or at McCrystal Campground or Cimarron Campground. We stayed at McCrystal. Both were full, neither were staffed.
Naveronski
AG
Did you design/build the tent rack?

I did mine with linear actuators, but I'd like more information on your style.
normaleagle05
AG
There's a Facebook group for Taxa Wooly Bear owners. This is a well known mod on the group. It's two BAL powered c-jack RV stabilizer pairs. The trailer has four of these individually, less the motors, as stabilizers underneath.

I went looking for such a solution on my own and the wife found this set up on Facebook. I have it all wired up, just trying to finish out the install. The feet get closer together as you go up. Makes it fun to install.

Link to the stabilizers being used:
ADNIK BAL R.V. Products Group 21100005 FASTJACK Powered C-Jack https://a.co/d/gROjWDM
MTTANK
AG
Lt. Joe Bookman said:

Old thread, but we are debating an offroad teardrop for our adventures here in Oregon. Would solve the cold nights... but the pooping situation is still bad.

How do you like the geyser? We are debating between that, a Joolca, and a Rinsekit Cube with the Water heater. Would be nice to be able to get a hot shower.
RangerRick9211
AG
Quote:

It's better than nothing, but not ideal. I have the electric heater version and it will take an hour to heat from room temp. So I typically Jet a boil and half-and-half it. But x4-5 times to get us all clean.

Anything under 60 deg. and it's effectively a cold shower with hot shower on wherever you're washing.

But! For a summer rinse, it's awesome.

Where in OR are you?
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
RangerRick9211 said:

Quote:

It's better than nothing, but not ideal. I have the electric heater version and it will take an hour to heat from room temp. So I typically Jet a boil and half-and-half it. But x4-5 times to get us all clean.

Anything under 60 deg. and it's effectively a cold shower with hot shower on wherever you're washing.

But! For a summer rinse, it's awesome.

Where in OR are you?

Nice. Thanks for the info! That was kinda my thoughts on it. I think we'll go with something else.

I'm down in the Medford area. Moved here about 4 years ago.
RangerRick9211
AG
Ah, I think we've chatted before about Ashland on the ski thread!

I'm heading your way today. Grabbing the in-laws at PDX and meandering to Crater over a few days via Bend and Sun River.

Hope the smoke is better for you guys!
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Picked a great week for crater lake and Bend! The last two weeks the smoke has been hell but it cleared up with the cooler weather and rain we got late last week. Looks like we should be good for a little while.

We're actually headed your direction next week. Got an Airbnb in Pacific City for a few nights.

Almost ski season. My 5 year old is counting down the days.

RangerRick9211
AG
Lt. Joe Bookman said:

We're actually headed your direction next week. Got an Airbnb in Pacific City for a few nights.

Enjoy the coast! The Pelican Brewery on the beach is so clutch.

Quote:

T-line finally shutdown Palmer early August. The 4 yr. old and I camped Muir a few weeks ago for some summer turns!

It's a bit too far for her, but I'm bringing the twigs to Bend for an early morning trip to Hayden glacier. I need to get September turns to keep the streak going.
'03ag
A little more from our last trip. First real hike for the squid didn't go so great. Did a lot of riding on my shoulders. But he enjoyed the water fall.

And one trail video

MouthBQ98
AG
Weekend of October 20-22 I plan to be in Big Bend Ranch. Got my Fav site reserved. Then 2 nights in the Guad Mts, which is more just camping and day hikes.
Madman
AG
'03ag said:

Somewhere off Lime Creek Rd.

This picture could be a writing prompt with a million dark or sunny outcomes.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.