Next gen 4runner - 2025
11,679 Views | 109 Replies
MouthBQ98
9:45a, 4/9/24
Why do they insist on cluttering up the body panels and bumpers so much? It basically ensures any minor damage requires complete part replacement instead of repair due to the complex shapes. It's just visually "noisy" too. Otherwise, seems ok, but frankly I don't care what it looks like as much as what it can and can't do.
Silvy
9:50a, 4/9/24
In reply to Burdizzo
I think it has a good possibility of being even slower with the non-hybrid engine. 8 more hp and heavier vehicle lol
K Bo
9:58a, 4/9/24
I'm not sure how to describe it but it's got weird lack of flow from front to rear. TRD Pro looks pretty sweet in those pics, though.
Lighthouse23
9:59a, 4/9/24
In reply to GrapevineAg
Article has been removed… are these renders or did Forbes jump the gun?
Naveronski
10:07a, 4/9/24
In reply to Lighthouse23
If they removed it, that tells me it was legit.
Naveronski
10:08a, 4/9/24
2400w inverter, 2.5" shocks, 33" tires, sway bar disconnect, hybrid motor option with 326-hp and 465 lb-ft of torque... they'll sell the heck out of these.
Silvy
10:14a, 4/9/24
In reply to Naveronski
Too much gadgetry for Toyota bros
ktownag08
10:24a, 4/9/24
Toyota helped me cross an SUV off the list with this release. Agree with other poster noting lack of flow to the design. Just doesn't appeal to me.

It's somewhat disappointing though too since I've been driving the current gen 4Runner for 7 years and was really hoping they'd nail the design for the new version.

GX or Landcruiser it is for my next one....
tlepoC
10:26a, 4/9/24
In reply to ktownag08
Same thoughts here
FTAco07
10:50a, 4/9/24
Could they make the back seat any smaller with the ingress/egress any tighter? The bottom of that door sill looks like it's only a foot wide.
GrapevineAg
10:59a, 4/9/24
In reply to Lighthouse23
Looks like the writer jumped the gun publishing his article. Toyota's official unveiling is tonight at 9:15 (central).
YouBet
11:40a, 4/9/24
That massive dent on the rear quarter panel is glaring on the non-TRD. Looks like you got in a wreck.

The TRD looks cool though.
bam02
12:01p, 4/9/24
Yeah it's overdone. With the teaser the other day of part of the rear hatch I was hoping it would be a much cleaner more simple design like the new GX and LC, but maybe that's the point… to differentiate it that way.
evan_aggie
12:56p, 4/9/24
Wait, did someone confirm the engine option(s)?
Furlock Bones
1:04p, 4/9/24
In reply to evan_aggie
evan_aggie said:

Wait, did someone confirm the engine option(s)?

yes. same as the Tacoma. it was in the article that Forbes mistakenly put out early.

overall, I like it...except the rear door entry looks ridiculously tight and the back seat looks so small.

not sure how you access a 3rd row with door entries that narrow. it's a pain in our current 4Runner.
bam02
1:14p, 4/9/24
Have specs been posted? Did they shorten the wheelbase?
Furlock Bones
1:25p, 4/9/24
In reply to bam02
no its longer.
bam02
2:13p, 4/9/24
In reply to Furlock Bones
Oh. The rear doors definitely look like they're more forward than previous generation.
tk for tu juan
2:20p, 4/9/24
https://www.4runner6g.com/forum/threads/2025-4runner-photos-specs-%F0%9F%94%A5-trailhunter-trd-pro-off-road-platinum-trims.1283/

Quote:

Like prior 4Runners, the new model also shares a lot with the latest Tacoma midsize pickup including the powertrains. Toyota's increasingly ubiquitous 2.4-liter turbocharged four-cylinder will be under the hood of all sixth-generation 4Runners. The standard i-Force version delivers 278-hp and lb-ft of torque. The hybrid i-Force Max adds an electric motor and 1.87-kWh nickel-metal hydride battery for a total of 326-hp and 465 lb-ft of torque. Towing capability grows from 5,000-lbs to 6,000-lbs.

The wheelbase of the new model has grown by 2.4-inches and overall length has grown by 4.7-inches compared to the old model. The longer overhangs mean the approach and departure angles are slightly degraded for the new 4Runner at 32 and 24 degrees respectively compared to 33 and 26 degrees for the four-wheel-drive fifth-gen. However, the nearly 20-inch shorter wheelbase compared to the Tacoma should give the 4Runner a big advantage over the pickup in breakover angle.
bam02
2:24p, 4/9/24
Wheelbase literally is measured axle to axle right? It's different than overall length right?
Garrelli 5000
2:54p, 4/9/24
It seems odd they hyped the Tundra, Tacoma, and LC refactors for months. The 4R gets nothing - not even a mention in their "future vehicles" listing.

I wouldn't be surprised if they're getting rid of it in the next few years based on their clear lack of enthusiasm to promote it.

They've downsized the LC which will become the 4R market. They'll figure out the battery location on the Sequoia to fix the interior spacing issues, satisfying the larger SUV market. The Tacoma for "small duty", Tundra for "heavy duty".

The 4R may very be on its way out.
Take the trash out staff.
Greener Acres
3:06p, 4/9/24
If this is the new look, I do like the way they continue the rear side windows up to the top. It's a throwback look and matches the 4runner I drove in 1996.

The rear seats now have decent space. If they are shrinking it, hopefully it goes to the rear section and not just lost to they powertrain.
Shaggie 05
3:36p, 4/9/24
I have a 2021 TRD Pro that I intend to drive for a long time. I sent my neighbor, who works in the truck/suv division of toyota, a thank you for making a a redesign that doesn't make me want to upgrade.

I don't like this at all. It reminds me of a gen 4 crossed with a Dodge Durango. Now I can peacefully stick with my plan to drive my Gen5 until I get a Sequoia/Land Cruiser/LX/GX in the distant future.
Shaggie 05
3:38p, 4/9/24
Also, I can confirm this is the new look. He showed me pictures a week or two back.
GrapevineAg
3:43p, 4/9/24
I miss my 4th Gen: 2006 SR5 V8 4wd. It's rock-solid, powerful enough, drives great in the rain and snow, and it's smaller than the 5th and 6th Gens (though not as small as the 3rd Gen). At least it's in good hands with my son in CO.

I do like this new one to some degree. Sure looks like the rear seat got smaller even though the whole thing is bigger - weird.

chris1515
3:55p, 4/9/24
From certain angles it does resemble a Dodge Durango and from others a little bit of a Chevy Trailblazer from a decade ago.

evan_aggie
4:03p, 4/9/24
I'm kind of surprised people don't like this.

This literally looks like my Tacoma made a bit shorter with a bed cover added.
aggiedata
4:06p, 4/9/24
PrestigeWorldwideAg12
4:08p, 4/9/24
I'm actually a big fan.
ac04
4:12p, 4/9/24
i guess i don't hate it. especially in the pro trim. not crazy about the more basic models. which is exactly the way i feel about the new tacoma.
MouthBQ98
4:42p, 4/9/24
In reply to bam02
Yes. You are correct.
FIDO*98*
7:38p, 4/9/24
It looks good right up until the rear door handle. From there it looks like Toyota hired the designer of the Pontiac Aztec to take over and finish the back. That thing has terrible lines.
Burdizzo
7:46p, 4/9/24
In reply to ac04
Same here
bam02
8:20p, 4/9/24
I actually don't like the trim with the black contrasting fenders. I'm guessing that's the TRD Pro? I think the blue one in the pics above looks sharp.
Bob Kelso
8:39p, 4/9/24
I'm disappointed. That's my initial reaction. Maybe they're appealing to a younger market and the current 4Runner owners pushed into land cruisers/GXs.

A 4Runner trying too hard. Looks like a young 20 something's ride. The front doesn't match the rear. It's like two different vehicles collided together. They jumped too far, too fast on design. There is nothing conservative here.
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 2 of 4
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings