Hyundai EV vs Tesla

5,919 Views | 84 Replies | Last: 5 days ago by htownag08
htownag08
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Just curious if anyone has had experience with the Hyundai EV line? In the market for a new vehicle and this will primarily be a commuter car as we have a mini-van for any major road trips with the kiddos. I have circled Tesla Model Y right now but keep seeing the Hyundai Ioniq 5/6 popping up on reviewer lists.

Curious if anyone has had experience or could provide insight as I weigh options. Test driving the Tesla Friday and a Hyundai on Saturday.

TIA
FIDO*98*
AG
Only thing that makes less sense than buying an EV is buying one that's not a Tesla
Redstone
AG
Not familiar
HollywoodBQ
AG
Not something I'd but but, I saw a lot of the Hyundai IONIQ models when I lived in California and the new one they were showing off at the Houston car show a couple months ago looked pretty sharp.

If you're a Disney nut, they've partnered up for a D100 version.
https://www.hyundaiusa.com/us/en/vehicles/ioniq-5/d100-platinum-edition
htownag08
AG
Fair - I hadn't plan to explore outside the Tesla world for EVs but when i saw how many reviews/lists the Hyundai were on, figured it was worth the ask!
drumboy
AG
I got a model y performance in December and it's great for my 60 mile RT commute. The demo drives are no pressure and use my referral in sig for some free stuff.

The Tesla charging infrastructure is a no brainer and it's been great so far.
[url=https://ts.la/erik936611]https://ts.la/erik936611[/url]
Use my referral link to buy a Tesla and get awards like 3 months of Full Self-Driving Capability.

Schedule a Tesla Demo Drive using my referral link.
chap
AG
I'd be curious about your thoughts after your test drives. I think there is a lot to like about the Ioniq 6 but I think access to the supercharger network would be me toward Tesla if I were looking to pull the trigger right now.
reproag
AG
htownag08 said:

Just curious if anyone has had experience with the Hyundai EV line? In the market for a new vehicle and this will primarily be a commuter car as we have a mini-van for any major road trips with the kiddos. I have circled Tesla Model Y right now but keep seeing the Hyundai Ioniq 5/6 popping up on reviewer lists.

Curious if anyone has had experience or could provide insight as I weigh options. Test driving the Tesla Friday and a Hyundai on Saturday.

TIA
I'm familiar with them. Contact info in profile
EMY92
AG
Just due to the charging network, Tesla is the only EV I'd consider.
steve00
AG
The ideal use case for an EV is a commuter car that you only charge at home while it is parked in your garage, and you have a gas car for any longer trips.

It sounds like that is probably your situation, so the Tesla charging network is completely irrelevant.
dummble
AG
Ford has access to most of the supercharging network now. I heard KIA gets it next year.
'03ag
I've driven the EV6 and really liked it.

Should have an EV9 to review soon, but that's not really for your use case.
JAW3336
AG
steve00 said:

The ideal use case for an EV is a commuter car that you mostly charge at home while it is parked in your garage, and you have a gas car for any longer trips.

It sounds like that is probably your situation, so the Tesla charging network is completely irrelevant.
FIFY.

I commute 100 miles a day in my Model Y Performance and absolutely love it. You are correct about 90 percent of the time I charge at home overnight. BUT, that 10% of the time I need a charger I am glad I can use the Tesla network.
drumboy
AG
JAW3336 said:

steve00 said:

The ideal use case for an EV is a commuter car that you mostly charge at home while it is parked in your garage, and you have a gas car for any longer trips.

FIFY.

I commute 100 miles a day in my Model Y Performance and absolutely love it. You are correct about 90 percent of the time I charge at home overnight. BUT, that 10% of the time I need a charger I am glad I can use the Tesla network.

Yep. I can plug in at Bucees and get 20% charge in the time it takes to piss, grab a drink and an Icee for my kids.

Kinda wish I could slow it down when I need to go grocery shopping or work out.
Use my referral link to buy a Tesla and get awards like 3 months of Full Self-Driving Capability.

Medaggie
You guys better watch out because the Anti EV Nazis will come by to tell you how not to spend your money

Get a Tesla MY, its a no brainer. Best car driving experience, ease of use, $$ savings, essentially zero maintenance car I have ever had. I have had Mercedes, BMW, and Porsche in my lifetime. Nothing compares to the performance at the 50K price range.

If you want to charge at Buccees, just set the charge limit when you go inside. Or open up your APP and stop charging when you want.

I did a round trip Austin to Houston trip, on the way home just needed 50 miles to get home. Went to get some food/piss at Buccees. Stopped charging at 70 miles in 7 minutes and got home with 20 miles left and not incurring any unnecessary supercharging $
steve00
AG
JAW3336 said:

steve00 said:

FIFY.

You didn't fix it for me. You just described your use case, which is 10% short of ideal. That's cool that it works for you, but it isn't ideal. I am probably 5% short of ideal myself, though I use non-Tesla charging networks to make up my shortage.

For cost and convenience, 100% home charging is ideal.
AG
Had a Tesla rental the other day and hated it. The regen braking damn near gave me whiplash, the key situation is dumb, and not having any buttons sucked. Also I'm hoping that I just couldn't figure it out, but the AC would only do auto mode, I couldn't adjust the fan speed for more than a few minutes at a time.
steve00
AG
I hear you on the regen braking. That is an issue I have with every EV. On mine, I have to hit a switch every time I start it to go to low regen mode, which is more palatable to me. It's like hitting the Start/Stop cancel button on a recent model gas car.

In my non-scientific tests, high regen doesn't provide enough of a range improvement to make it worth using. You are still going to regen whenever you brake, even on the low regen setting.
Guitarsoup
AG
steve00 said:

The ideal use case for an EV is a commuter car that you only charge at home while it is parked in your garage, and you have a gas car for any longer trips.

While ideal, there are times when life happens and you need to get a quick charge. That's easy in a Tesla, and significantly less easy in any other EV. And nice to not worry about having to drive to one of the other big cities in Texas or to NOLA in it, since there are plenty of quick and easy places to charge.
Guitarsoup
AG
1939 said:

Had a Tesla rental the other day and hated it. The regen braking damn near gave me whiplash, the key situation is dumb, and not having any buttons sucked. Also I'm hoping that I just couldn't figure it out, but the AC would only do auto mode, I couldn't adjust the fan speed for more than a few minutes at a time.

You can turn off regen braking, if you want. But you can also just never touch the brake pedal, too. You can have it mild, as well. It is one of those things you get used to.

My phone is my key, which is pretty fantastic in practice. Walk up to my car, open the door, get in. No hassle no fob. I have auto deadbolts at home, so I don't actually carry any keys unless driving my 98 Landcruiser and that just has the one key on a keyring.

If I want the fan on high, I just set the car at 60 degrees. Gets too cold, switch to 68. Additionally, with the app, I can set the temp I want the car to be at before I get there and get a push notification when it it there. Park in the sun all day, hit the button on your phone to turn on the AC and it will be cool and feel great when you get in. Snowing outside? Turn on the heat and seat heaters before you get in. Pretty easy.
steve00
AG
Guitarsoup said:

steve00 said:

While ideal, there are times when life happens and you need to get a quick charge. That's easy in a Tesla, and significantly less easy in any other EV. And nice to not worry about having to drive to one of the other big cities in Texas or to NOLA in it, since there are plenty of quick and easy places to charge.

I have an EV that is not a Tesla, and I've never had a hard time charging publicly when I've needed to. I agree that the Tesla charging network is the best, but it also has the most users, so more likely to have a line.

My beef on this thread is the people saying you should obviously buy a Tesla because the charging network is better. That is not true, as almost all charging takes place at home. If you do enough public charging that the charging network makes a difference, then an EV probably isn't the best choice for you.

If you are making long drives in an EV that require charging during your trip, then you have already self-selected to do something that is less convenient than driving a gas car.

EV people need to stop pretending that they can recharge their battery in the time it takes to go to the bathroom and buy some chips. That isn't real. Anyone with a gas car can add 300-400 miles in range within 5 minutes. You can't do that with an EV.

I have an EV, and it is superior to a gas car for my commute and tooling around town. In all of my long drive scenarios, my gas car is better.
EMY92
AG
Guitarsoup said:

1939 said:

You can turn off regen braking, if you want. But you can also just never touch the brake pedal, too. You can have it mild, as well. It is one of those things you get used to.

My phone is my key, which is pretty fantastic in practice. Walk up to my car, open the door, get in. No hassle no fob. I have auto deadbolts at home, so I don't actually carry any keys unless driving my 98 Landcruiser and that just has the one key on a keyring.

If I want the fan on high, I just set the car at 60 degrees. Gets too cold, switch to 68. Additionally, with the app, I can set the temp I want the car to be at before I get there and get a push notification when it it there. Park in the sun all day, hit the button on your phone to turn on the AC and it will be cool and feel great when you get in. Snowing outside? Turn on the heat and seat heaters before you get in. Pretty easy.
That's all great, but not so easy in a rental when you are completely unfamiliar with the interface. It's tough enough getting a rental from any brand you're not used to, but most ICE vehicles are close enough where you can figure out 90% of the stuff. EVs are different enough that you may only figure out 60% of the stuff while you have it.
bam02
AG
Yes it's a dumb rental vehicle for anyone not familiar with teslas.
Guitarsoup
AG
steve00 said:

Guitarsoup said:

steve00 said:

I have an EV that is not a Tesla, and I've never had a hard time charging publicly when I've needed to. I agree that the Tesla charging network is the best, but it also has the most users, so more likely to have a line.

There are places to charge, but not many places that you can charge very quickly. Tesla has the Supercharging network where you can charge much faster than the vast majority of regular chargers.

In my 3.5 years with a Tesla, I have not once waited to charge at a Tesla-specific charger. Often, the non-Tesla chargers only have 1 or 2 chargers and they are often full, because there are so few.

Additionally, a Tesla can charge at any charger (Tesla or non-Tesla), while a non-Tesla like yours or my wife's PHEV cannot charge at any Tesla.

Quote:

My beef on this thread is the people saying you should obviously buy a Tesla because the charging network is better. That is not true, as almost all charging takes place at home. If you do enough public charging that the charging network makes a difference, then an EV probably isn't the best choice for you.

It is a massive advantage to be able to charge at any EV Charging place. Most of mine is done at home, but not all.

Quote:

If you are making long drives in an EV that require charging during your trip, then you have already self-selected to do something that is less convenient than driving a gas car.

Depends on the trip. I'm from San Antonio and live in Houston. Making that trip in my Tesla or a gas car doesn't really have any difference to me as far as convenience and charging. If I was driving to Big Bend, then the Tesla would be significantly less convenient.

But driving a non-Tesla would be significantly less convenient for me, because there aren't the abundance of quick charging stations on the trip.

Quote:

EV people need to stop pretending that they can recharge their battery in the time it takes to go to the bathroom and buy some chips. That isn't real. Anyone with a gas car can add 300-400 miles in range within 5 minutes. You can't do that with an EV.

No one is pretending that.

Quote:

I have an EV, and it is superior to a gas car for my commute and tooling around town. In all of my long drive scenarios, my gas car is better.
Sure, on a long road trip across country, a gas car is more convenient, no one is arguing that.

There are drive scenarios where a Tesla is superior to non-Tesla EVs. There are not any scenarios I have seen where a non-Tesla EV has an advantage. If I am missing something, let me know.

Tesla has the biggest charge network.
Tesla has the biggest fast charge network.
Tesla can use all non-Tesla chargers.

These are major advantages, and why other car manufacturers are going to be buying into the Tesla network.
Guitarsoup
AG
EMY92 said:

Guitarsoup said:

1939 said:

That's all great, but not so easy in a rental when you are completely unfamiliar with the interface. It's tough enough getting a rental from any brand you're not used to, but most ICE vehicles are close enough where you can figure out 90% of the stuff. EVs are different enough that you may only figure out 60% of the stuff while you have it.
Yeah, I agree that it doesn't make sense as a rental right now. For non-Tesla owners, click the steering wheel button on the right and just tell your car what you want it to do. Heated seats, defroster, AC, etc - just tell it.
steve00
AG
I agree that the Tesla charging network is larger and faster than any other network.

Where I disagree is on how much that matters to the average EV owner. 80% of charging happens at home. Charging at work is hard to quantify as clearly, but seems to be around 15% from what I can find.

That doesn't leave much room for the better Tesla public network to add value.

And I say all this as someone who charges 0% at home. I am a renter, so I won't spend the money to install home charging. I charge 99% at ChargePoint chargers at my office. It is obviously not as cheap as charging at home, but it is effortless. A couple times a week I park closer to the office door, and I always have a charged car.

All I'm saying is that anyone who says the Tesla charging network makes it a slam dunk to buy a Tesla over some other brand is wrong. The network is a plus, but there are lots of pros and cons when comparing Tesla vs other options.
htownag08
AG
This thread has been super helpful - I appreciate everyone's input and advice. I've been watching a lot of review videos and comparisons but the tie breaker always seems to be the charger network Tesla has.

I'll be doing almost all my charging at home - but definitely want to have some flexibility in the case of that occasional longer trip.
chet98
AG
Not to derail but I'd be curious as to people's thoughts about PHEV. Wife kind of interested in Beemer's X5 (I believe its the X5) that's PHEV. She could do her commute round trip pure EV then car switch over to gas if she were to run extra errands, etc. We'd need a Level 2 home charger is only downside, apparently 110volt too slow to charge overnight, but the car would be garaged and charging would occur at home each night.
drumboy
AG
chet98 said:

Not to derail but I'd be curious as to people's thoughts about PHEV. Wife kind of interested in Beemer's X5 (I believe its the X5) that's PHEV. She could do her commute round trip pure EV then car switch over to gas if she were to run extra errands, etc. We'd need a Level 2 home charger is only downside, apparently 110volt too slow to charge overnight, but the car would be garaged and charging would occur at home each night.
Perfect if your goal is unlimited range & better gas mileage.

My thoughts are that they're more expensive (than ICE or full EV), slower (usually), and more stuff to break.

drumboy
AG
1939 said:

I had a rental in Vegas and the regen braking was awkward at first. I have several Tesla early adopter evangelists at work so I knew it was coming. Don't think it was close to giving anyone whiplash.

The inability to use a phone key w/ rental is annoying; they should send a phone invite and some tutorial videos if they're going to rent these cars out.

If you want manual AC controls, click the temp label on the screen and the full climate screen pops up. This is also where you adjust the angle of the vents.

chet98
AG
drumboy said:

chet98 said:

Perfect if your goal is unlimited range & better gas mileage.

My thoughts are that they're more expensive (than ICE or full EV), slower (usually), and more stuff to break.
Yeah, trying to decide if I think PHEVs are the best of both worlds or the worst of both worlds...
'03ag
My opinion is best
GAC06
AG
Don't really see the point of PHEV. If the goal is fuel efficiency, a regular hybrid gets you mostly there without hauling as big a battery around. If the goal is simplicity, performance, and freedom from gas stations, an EV is the ticket. If I needed range beyond what EV's offer regularly I'd get a regular ICE or hybrid, not a plug in
Guitarsoup
AG
We have liked our PHEV Chrysler Pacifica. Wife doesn't leave the neighborhood often so it only really uses gas on road trips with the kids.

Lifetime average of 89.2MPG (not including electric expenses) because it so infrequently uses gas. Almost to 4y and 32k miles
chet98
AG
Yeah so this is where PHEV might not actually be best over pure EV for us specifically. Not sure the PHEV would ever leave the city for the wide open road.

Our road warrior SUV is ICE so no range concerns. Any replacement to that (see separate postings of why I hate my Honda Pilot right now) would be hybrid at best or stay ICE. If we have the ICE or Hybrid for roadies then we probably don't need another ICE or even PHEV. So if we're going to electrify the second vehicle at all we should really probably go EV.

I think my wife may really just want an excuse to get that Beemer!
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.