Hyundai EV vs Tesla

5,917 Views | 84 Replies | Last: 5 days ago by htownag08
drumboy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
cav14 said:

If you are planning on doing any road tripping, then get the Tesla. Yes that includes if you only plan on road tripping just once a year and also includes the fact that Hyundai will have access to Tesla Superchargers sometime in the near future. Because even once Hyundai has access, that does not automatically make it the exact same fast charging experience that you would get with the Model Y.

For example, Ford right now technically has access to Tesla Superchargers but it isn't to all superchargers. They do not have access to any V2 or Urban chargers, and do not have access to all V3 chargers. This results on Ford only having access to about 60% of Tesla entire network. They are also charged a higher price rate compared to Tesla vehicles. Additionally specific to Hyundai and Kia, you'll get much slower charging speeds compared to Tesla because Hyundai did not optimally design their 800V architectural to be charged through Teslas 400V superchargers. Porsche however can fully utilize Teslas supercharger speeds even on 800V since they did design for that.
I'm convinced and getting a Taycan Cross Turismo this weekend.
[url=https://ts.la/erik936611]https://ts.la/erik936611[/url]
Use my referral link to buy a Tesla and get awards like 3 months of Full Self-Driving Capability.

Schedule a Tesla Demo Drive using my referral link.
Guitarsoup
AG
drumboy said:

Here's the route to BigBend, a little out of the way and I'd be doing 65 out west to save the battery.

I'm gonna stick to my LandCruiser for that trip and just pay eleventy hundred dollars for gas and stop every 250 miles.
bam02
AG
Ha ha been to GUMO and Big Bend in the last two years in a buddy's modded out LC with Beverly Hillbillies level cargo on top. Talk about frequent stops!
Guitarsoup
AG
bam02 said:

Ha ha been to GUMO and Big Bend in the last two years in a buddy's modded out LC with Beverly Hillbillies level cargo on top. Talk about frequent stops!
Yeah, I have the roof top tent (vinyl covered cheap one, not fancy clamshell one) and 270 degree batwing awning. I'm averaging about 10.8mpg in this bad boy.
steve00
AG
cav14 said:

But for many others that really want/need one vehicle to do serve all their driving needs and want that vehicle to be an EV, then Tesla is the only way to go. Because it takes just that one road trip that you only take one time a year to find out why all OEMs have jumped the CCS ship and gotten onboard the Tesla ship.

I think you are describing an edge case that would not impact the average EV buyer's decision. The numbers I found from 2020 show that 1/3 of all households have only one car, while almost 60% have two or more. The average TX household has 2.3.

Edit - I found a AAA study from 2020 that says 80% of EV owners also have a gas car.

If you are in the minority that has only one car, and the way smaller minority where that one car is an EV, then you could rent a gas car for your annual long road trip, which makes the superior Tesla charging network moot in your car buying decision.

There are plenty of good reasons to choose a Tesla or to choose a non-Tesla. I think that for the majority of potential buyers, the quality of the charging network is one of the smaller factors.
drumboy
AG
Guitarsoup said:

drumboy said:

Here's the route to BigBend, a little out of the way and I'd be doing 65 out west to save the battery.

I'm gonna stick to my LandCruiser for that trip and just pay eleventy hundred dollars for gas and stop every 250 miles.

I'd drive the Lx and do some dirt roads too.
Use my referral link to buy a Tesla and get awards like 3 months of Full Self-Driving Capability.

Guitarsoup
AG
drumboy said:

Guitarsoup said:

drumboy said:

Sorry about your soccer mom version of the LandCruiser.
'03ag
steve00 said:

cav14 said:

But for many others that really want/need one vehicle to do serve all their driving needs and want that vehicle to be an EV, then Tesla is the only way to go. Because it takes just that one road trip that you only take one time a year to find out why all OEMs have jumped the CCS ship and gotten onboard the Tesla ship.

I think you are describing an edge case that would not impact the average EV buyer's decision. The numbers I found from 2020 show that 1/3 of all households have only one car, while almost 60% have two or more. The average TX household has 2.3.

Edit - I found a AAA study from 2020 that says 80% of EV owners also have a gas car.

If you are in the minority that has only one car, and the way smaller minority where that one car is an EV, then you could rent a gas car for your annual long road trip, which makes the superior Tesla charging network moot in your car buying decision.

There are plenty of good reasons to choose a Tesla or to choose a non-Tesla. I think that for the majority of potential buyers, the quality of the charging network is one of the smaller factors.
This is the only way people are willing to discuss EVs.
'03ag
Guitarsoup said:

drumboy said:

Guitarsoup said:

drumboy said:

LX 200 is best 200
drumboy
AG
'03ag said:

Guitarsoup said:

drumboy said:

Guitarsoup said:

drumboy said:

LX 200 is best 200

Haha I bought it from a friends 75 year old mother in law.

Well maintained at the dealer and never went over 65

TexasAggie73
AG
bam02 said:

Yes it's a dumb rental vehicle for anyone not familiar with teslas.

True, I was going to rent one when I flew into New Orleans, but decided I didn't want that learning curve for just a weekend use.
htownag08
AG
Deciding now between the Hyundai Ioniq 5 and the LRMY. Luckily not having to make a decision right this second - so waiting to see what Tesla prices do or if we get any hint at a new model. Like the Hyundai but to get the features to rival the Tesla it's a good chunk more money.
Guitarsoup
AG
htownag08 said:

Deciding now between the Hyundai Ioniq 5 and the LRMY. Luckily not having to make a decision right this second - so waiting to see what Tesla prices do or if we get any hint at a new model. Like the Hyundai but to get the features to rival the Tesla it's a good chunk more money.
Tesla just dropped prices like 2k. Would be surprised if they dropped again.
agracer
AG
chet98 said:

drumboy said:

chet98 said:

Not to derail but I'd be curious as to people's thoughts about PHEV. Wife kind of interested in Beemer's X5 (I believe its the X5) that's PHEV. She could do her commute round trip pure EV then car switch over to gas if she were to run extra errands, etc. We'd need a Level 2 home charger is only downside, apparently 110volt too slow to charge overnight, but the car would be garaged and charging would occur at home each night.
Perfect if your goal is unlimited range & better gas mileage.

My thoughts are that they're more expensive (than ICE or full EV), slower (usually), and more stuff to break.
Yeah, trying to decide if I think PHEVs are the best of both worlds or the worst of both worlds...
BMW would be the last PHEV I would buy. Look at Toyota first.
htownag08
AG
True - i was just curious if we'd see a larger drop later on (similar to beginning of the year) due to them having such a bad quarter. I think i'm definitely leaning Tesla's way - never fully trusted Kia/Hyundai but that Ioniq 5 was really nice.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.