talk me out of a 1980 CJ

2,318 Views | 30 Replies | Last: 18 days ago by HumbleAg04
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Per seller in response to me asking what works doesn't issues etc.

We fixed brakes and brake line. Bikini top and doors come with. Stick shift is loose. We planned to replace but instead lowered price. We actually drove it today. Starts right up and is fun. We have a few other projects we are working on and just don't have much time to enjoy it. We bought it from a guy in Louisiana. Never got it registered here but that's easy. Husband is working on getting that done. We own it free and clear. We fell in love with it when we bought it and it has little to no rust compared to most its age. Like I said, we are good keeping it or selling it

The not getting it registered is weird to me.

BenTheGoodAg
AG
Jeeps are fun, but they're a perpetual project, especially that old.

When you understand that , you'll either be happy you bought one, or happy when you finally sell it.

If you are doing a lot of highway driving with it, screw that.
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
BenTheGoodAg said:

Jeeps are fun, but they're a perpetual project, especially that old.

When you understand that , you'll either be happy you bought one, or happy when you finally sell it.

If you are doing a lot of highway driving with it, screw that.

Honestly it's just a weekly cruiser or so. 2miles or so to and from work no freeways, maybe running errands not on freeways. Then occasional trip to the ranch which I would probably trailer it.
Complete Idiot
"talk me out of a 1980 CJ"

No. I flatly refuse.
Goodest Poster
AG
The registration thing might not be a red flag.
Sometimes people buy toys that they plan to use on ranch or farm land and instead of registering and paying taxes, they just hold on to a title free and clear until they need it.

I dont buy the "we dont have time to use it" and also the "we have too many other projects"....seems like BS to me. Id make sure you have a mechanic check it out.

Always the most goodest
HumbleAg04
AG
Do it. Everything is fixable with money. Miss my '85.
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
Goodest Poster said:

The registration thing might not be a red flag.
Sometimes people buy toys that they plan to use on ranch or farm land and instead of registering and paying taxes, they just hold on to a title free and clear until they need it.

I dont buy the "we dont have time to use it" and also the "we have too many other projects"....seems like BS to me. Id make sure you have a mechanic check it out.

Yea if this thing is as rust free as they say then it's likely worth 5-10k more than they are trying to sell it for.

The loose stick shift is whatever, quick google says that's a 10 min fix and $20, so why haven't they done it? Is it they found that there are ****** issues that come with it?

That being said
Does anyone have a recommendation for a cj mechanic on the south side of town that could I could take it to look it over or pay to come with me?
Mas89
AG
The " Cajun off road " sticker would bother me.
JuneBug07
AG
2/10 WNB. Awful investment. Please post sellers contact info for research purposes only.
Buck Turgidson
HollywoodBQ
AG
HumbleAg04 said:

Do it. Everything is fixable with money. Miss my '85.
I had an 85 CJ-7 that I bought off a t.u. student.

One of those things I just had to have.

Over a two year period, I spent at least $6k on it including a new engine. Sold it for about $500 more than I paid for it - terrible investment but, fun to drive.

Don't do it unless you're prepared to spend money.
Jason_InfinityRoofer
Quote:

we are good keeping it or selling it

This is a lie. Negotiate accordingly.
Waterski02
AG
If I recall floorboards and behind the wheels are the known rust spots. If it's good from there the rest a project stuff. Vacuum hoses, gauges etc…. If rusted walk away
water turkey
Don't do it!

You said to talk you out of it.
Hagen95
AG
In an attempt to talk you out of it, you could take the money you'll spend on it and sponsor a offensive line man with NIL money.
ChoppinDs40
AG
Sold my '77 CJ7 to an Ag on here and I regret it this time of year.

Loved cruising that car and wanted to pass it down to my kids. Oh well.

I dropped a lot of coin on that ride fixing it up ($15k+) and things were still breaking.
FTAco07
AG
ChoppinDs40 said:

I dropped a lot of coin on that ride fixing it up ($15k+) and things were still breaking.

It's been pretty much flawless until last week when some electrical gremlins popped up the day after I had it inspected.

I'll sell it back to you if you want it. I enjoy it a lot but switching my daily driver from sports car to suv has me contemplating going jeep to sports car for the weekend ride.
ChoppinDs40
AG
FTAco07 said:

ChoppinDs40 said:

It's been pretty much flawless until last week when some electrical gremlins popped up the day after I had it inspected.

I'll sell it back to you if you want it. I enjoy it a lot but switching my daily driver from sports car to suv has me contemplating going jeep to sports car for the weekend ride.

Headlights?

Guys at collinsbros said it could be a wire loose somewhere. Said take a look at the brights pedal.

f2foxes2001
woodyhayes
J..just
E..empty
E..every
P..pocket
tlepoC
AG
If he doesn't want it back. I call dibs. My first vehicle was a '77 CJ and I regret selling it all the time. But it wouldnt have made the back and forths to college very well...
FTAco07
AG
Will keep you in mind if I get ready to sell. I'm not actually looking to switch it up right now, but will see how I feel after I daily an SUV for a bit. It's been a great vehicle and I'm always amazed at how good the slightly modernized 47 year old jeep runs and drives.
91AggieLawyer
AG
woodyhayes said:

J..just
E..empty
E..every
P..pocket

Every time I think about getting a Jeep, I think about what else I can spend that money on. Or save it.
Woods Ag
AG
Had an 85 CJ7 as my first car.

Loved that thing but it was constantly in the shop. I couldnt afford it and eventually sold it.

Expect it to always need work, and that work adds up. But they're fun to drive. I wish I had it today as I now have a little more money to fix it.
tlepoC
AG
Yeah, if you are taking it into the shop to keep it running, you won't have a good time. Need to be handy and...creative.

My highschool mornings were often spent doing something to get it started. I had a hidden cable pull that served as the ignition. Went through a few canisters of fire extinguishers. Reeked of oil after driving it. Constantly getting it jumped from friends or pushing it to get it started. On second thought, maybe I wasn't all that handy.

Great memories though!

Woods Ag
AG
This was me too.

The push starts…

Mine would start without a key 90% of the time. Once my HS found that out my jeep was constantly somewhere that I didn't leave it. Good times
tlepoC
AG
My Jeep was never where I left it either. I still remember the day a buddy watched me as I started it and figured it out.

Most creative prank was them moving the jeep but also putting someone elses doors and top on it. Made it much harder to find even in a mostly empty parking lot.
Schall 02
AG
Looks ridden hard and put away wet. Price accordingly.
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
Schall 02 said:

Looks ridden hard and put away wet. Price accordingly.

$8500 currently
Tumble Weed
There is a ton of rust hiding under that rhino liner job.
HumbleAg04
AG
Relatable. I started with the 2.5L and could barely hit 55 mph. Ended up with a Chevy 350 and could do four wheel burnouts. Oh to be young and stupid with money again. (still am)
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.