Trading in vehicle with hail damage

1,711 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 18 days ago by combat wombat™
mts6175
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Curious if anyone has ever traded in a vehicle with substantial hail damage. I have a 2021 Denali 2500, just got the estimate back at over $25k. Has 82000 miles on it. Just debating if I should take the cash and trade in on a new one. I know I'm going to take a major hit on trade-in value, but just curious if others have done the same.
AgResearch
AG
Drive it? It's not unsafe to drive a dented vehicle.
FIDO*98*
AG
You'll get crap for it. Dealers don't want that on their lots so they'll get quotes from car auctions and then give you less than that
JP76
Yes i have done it on a 6 month old vehicle that had 13k plus damage and they wanted to cut the roof off. Shop it around and see who gives you the best trade. Also what the dealer pays to repair it will be a lot less than what you as retail are paying for repairs.
Texker
AG
I sold a 2014 GMC Terrain to CarMax last year that had hail damage.
HumpitPuryear
AG
Get a purchase offer from the dealership, carmax, etc and then offer it here for a few thousand more. As of right now there are 11 members that have no issues driving a pockmarked truck around. Guess it could make someone a good work truck.
JAW3336
AG
I took the cash on my 2021 Ram 3500 and plan to drive it for several more years. It's a truck, it gets scratched by branches, the dog, stuff loaded into the back.
akaggie05
AG
Get a half assed PDR job which will make it 90% better and then decide if you still want to sell it. If you do, the cost of the PDR should more than offset the lowball offers due to hail damage.
Hobbes01
AG
Got any pictures? Curious what $25k in hail damage looks like. Assume busted out windshield too? Cracks in other windows or is it all sheet metal damage?
mts6175
AG
I'll post pics later. Its not just a few dents here and there. There are over 400 hits on the hood alone. It's not a simple PDR repair, every skin on the truck is being replaced, every light, windshield, camera hits, even the plastic cowling between the hood and windshield took direct hits and has a hole through it. We had baseball size hail here a few weeks ago and I got stuck out in it with no where for cover.
Kenneth_2003
AG
What did the insurance offer you? I presume they're wanting to total it?

At what point do you take the insurance check then sit down on a saturday and start bondo'ing the heck out of it then drive it over to Maaco?
mts6175
AG
Kenneth_2003 said:

What did the insurance offer you? I presume they're wanting to total it?

At what point do you take the insurance check then sit down on a saturday and start bondo'ing the heck out of it then drive it over to Maaco?
I'm still waiting on insurance to finalize it. Not sure if they will total or not yet, doubting it.
Kenneth_2003
AG
Quote:

every skin on the truck is being replaced, every light, windshield, camera hits, even the plastic cowling between the hood and windshield took direct hits and has a hole through it
It's totaled...

at least that's my guess
ghollow
AG
That's at least a $50k vehicle after repairs. I doubt they will total it.
So the greatest civilization is one where all citizens are equally armed and can only be persuaded, never forced. It removes force from the equation... and that's why carrying a gun is a civilized act.
Max Power
AG
Any dealer is going to deduct more than the actual damage on the vehicle when you trade it in. If you aren't going to want it then get it fixed before going shopping for a new vehicle.
mts6175
AG
ghollow said:

That's at least a $50k vehicle after repairs. I doubt they will total it.

I agree, I don't think they will.
BigNastyNate
AG
Let us know how much you want for it if you end up getting rid of it.
combat wombat™
AG
Oh, yeah, I need to see pictures of this.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.