2020 Tesla Y long range w/FSD or 2024 Tesla Y standard range no FSD

1,969 Views | 26 Replies | Last: 16 days ago by Medaggie
Done7
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Both are $30k(new car has multiple price incentives). The 2020 has 50k miles on it. Which one would you pick?
dubi
AG
How long will you own it? What is the battery warranty?

You don't want to own one out of warranty.
drumboy
AG
Have you tried FSD? I wouldn't pay much for it.
[url=https://ts.la/erik936611]https://ts.la/erik936611[/url]
Use my referral link to buy a Tesla and get awards like 3 months of Full Self-Driving Capability.

Schedule a Tesla Demo Drive using my referral link.
AggieMPH2005
Do you have push button turn signals in the 2024?

If so that's a hard pass for me
TexAg2001
AG
FSD isn't worth what it costs and, honestly, probably wouldn't use it too much if it were free. I have a Model Y and have got FSD as a free trial. It didn't work very well the times I used it...it's been in "beta" for years now. You have to constantly babysit it and are required to keep your hands close to the steering wheel at nearly all times. I've also seen reviews that it takes corners too close and hits curbs every now and then.

Go for the 2024 for the incentives and the newer battery.
Peter Klaven
AG
I'm not going to look it up but isn't FSD slated to be a $200/mo add on in the future? Get the new one and if you want to try FSD then go for it.

Hell, current Y owners are literally experiencing a free month trial right now, it shouldn't be something that adds much value in a used model.
Aggie_Boomin 21
AG
I have only ridden in a model Y with fsd 1 time, but I was not impressed. It was a 35 minute Uber through decently heavy morning rush hour traffic. It lived up to the fsd name in that it was pretty independent, but man what an awful ride in stop and go traffic on the highway. First time I felt car sick since I was a little kid.

Extremely anecdotal, but my 2 cents.
bam02
AG
Sorry for the derail but what are all the incentives that get a 2024 MY standard range to $30K? I'd have to consider one at that price.
MaxPower
Don't know your budget circumstances or needs but they are refreshing the Model Y in 2025 if you can wait.

Tough choice between those two. One possible advantage to used is they do occasionally do deals where you can transfer your FSD to your next purchase at no cost. So basically while FSD may not be great now it would allow you to use it in the future when it's more mature. FYI they say the newest version is much better.
Guitarsoup
AG
I have the newest version of FSD, and I think it is upgrading a ton, but I also think that the cheaper autopilot is plenty useful for most people.
reproag
AG
Peter Klaven said:

I'm not going to look it up but isn't FSD slated to be a $200/mo add on in the future? Get the new one and if you want to try FSD then go for it.

Hell, current Y owners are literally experiencing a free month trial right now, it shouldn't be something that adds much value in a used model.
Already is. Had a preowned one here and to activate it was $199.99/month
drumboy
AG
I have 6 months FSD free since I used a referral code and I've used it 1 time but I need to use the new version that just came out.

I did notice today that my Enhanced Autopilot changed lanes to avoid a merge (scared the shlt out of me) and exited the I-10 Managed Lanes, which it never did on its own previously.

I wouldn't put much value on FSD in a used car, but it would be nice if you can transfer it to a new car in the future if you like it and they keep improving it.
Use my referral link to buy a Tesla and get awards like 3 months of Full Self-Driving Capability.

Done7
Federal tax credit: $7500, Tesla inventory in stock markdown $4k-$7k depending on where the car is located and I get an additional $5k from my company "EV program".
Done7
Thanks for the feedback, everyone. I've decided to go with the new long-range version instead. The more I think about it, I realize I enjoy driving and probably won't use the FSD feature to justify the $12k cost. I may use it for long road trips, but for those trips, I will sign up for a month and then cancel it.
bam02
AG
Oh nice! Thanks.
akaggie05
AG
A Tesla in FSD mode ran into a telephone pole near my house last year. There were construction barricades and weird temporary lane changes and it got all tripped up. Just another data point.
drumboy
AG
Done7 said:

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. I've decided to go with the new long-range version instead. The more I think about it, I realize I enjoy driving and probably won't use the FSD feature to justify the $12k cost. I may use it for long road trips, but for those trips, I will sign up for a month and then cancel it.

Use my referral and I'll send you a 6 pack to enjoy while on FSD.

Done7
Sorry I am using my companies referral for an extra $1k of the car price.
Done7
Btw… I tried FSD 12.3 yesterday, and it was flawless; it drove better than me. However, I'm still opting out of the $12k FSD package. Instead, I'm investing $12k in Tesla stock, as I believe it has the potential to be huge once it exits beta mode.
Done7
Sounds like it was using autopilot or enhance autopilot and not FSD.
EliteZags
AG
Model S is the only attractive looking Tesla

from best to worst:

S
Roadster
Semi
X
3 (as bland as can be)
Truck
Y (like driving an egg)
Guitarsoup
AG
EliteZags said:

Model S is the only attractive looking Tesla

from best to worst:

S
Roadster
Semi
X
3 (as bland as can be)
Truck
Y (like driving an egg)
It is funny to me you think the X looks so much better than the Y.

They kind of look the same with the spoiler and gullwings down.

I agree the S looks the best.
EliteZags
AG
don't think the X looks good at all just no diff than the slew of unattractive Mercedes SUV's, then the Y just looks like a Walmart jr knockoff of it like an X and 3 gangbanged a CRV
GAC06
AG
The new 3 looks pretty good in my opinion
bam02
AG
I think the cars all look the same.
Done7
FSD just went down to $99 a month. I would have pissed off if I bought the $12k package upfront.
Medaggie
It's to get more people to use and increase data collection. If they get fsd to a robotaxi, 199/mo will be cheap. I got mine back in the day for 6k, if robotaxi happens, this care is invaluable.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.